[FATE] My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Vessiel

RPGnet Member
Validated User
[FATE/Dresden Files] My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

So, I'm going to be running my first FATE game in a few weeks and need to familiarize myself with the rules. For that purpose, I have been futzing around with them and making characters.

Since the game is going to be a (non-)survival horror one-shot set in the science fiction/alien conspiracy setting of X-com, naturally my first thought of sample characters was to create Twilight Sparkle of MLP:FiM.

Hey, I was looking for a challenge.

My second thought after making her was: surprisingly, Diaspora doesn't really work for magical unicorn ponies. 1. The skills are all wrong. 2. The psionics don't really scale up to MLP:FiM magic levels.

"Ok, no problem." I think. "I've got the Dresden Files right over here on the bookshelf." Well, that solves the skill problem nicely and things are going swimmingly until I get around to the magic.

And the Dresden Files core rulebook has nothing to cover Teleportation or Telekinesis, and Evocation doesn't really work quite right for the Unicorn Magic Tricks.

So, here it is: Vessiel's My Little Pony conversion of Fate as written in the Dresden Files RPG. I'll do this by posting characters, and then in the following post the new powers created for them. First up, Twilight Sparkle.

Characters were based on 8 refresh and 20 points of skills. I welcome others creating their own, or alternate versions of ones I've already posted. The only deviation from standard Dresden Files rules I did is in the powers.

Last edited:

Vessiel

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Character: Twilight Sparkle

Aspects:
High Concept- Studious Magician
Trouble - The God(desse)s must be messing with me.
Background - Comes from Canterlot
Shaped By - Favored Pupil of Celestia
First Adventure - My Very First Friends
Guest Star - These Ponies Are All CRAZY!
Guest Star - Know It All

Stress:
Physical: 2
Mental: 4
Social: 3

Skills (20 Points):
Great (+4): Lore, Scholarship
Good (+3): Conviction, Discipline
Fair (+2): Presence, Resources
Average (+1): Alertness, Intimidation

Base Refresh: 8
Remaining Refresh: 1

Stunts:
Capable Researcher (Scholarship)

Powers:
Unicorn Magic (-1)
Unicorn Telekinesis (-1)
Unicorn Teleport (-1)
Power Up: Unicorn Telekinesis (-1)
Power Up x 2: Unicorn Magic (-2)

Last edited:

Vessiel

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Twilight Sparkle is by far the most Powered of the PCs in FiM. Define her powers, and the powers of every other Unicorn shown in the series can be described as a small subset of them.

Also, I used the concept of "Power Up" powers to represent developing/strengthening existing powers. To get a "Power Up" power you must already have the base power. Twilight has several of these, taken multiple times.

Powers will be described as:

Name (Refresh cost): Description

Unicorn Magic (-1): Every Unicorn has both an ability with minor telekinesis and unique, magical talent related to their personality that is granted by their horn. Twilight's powers have grown so far beyond the base that we don't actually know what that talent is, but we have a good example in Rarity. Besides being able to keep a half-dozen small objects in the air, Rarity can transform an inanimate object, such as cloth or wood, into decorative works of art and clothing. A unicorn can also make their horn glow, providing light.

Power Up: Unicorn Magic (-1): A unicorn, through study and practice, can also develop their innate magic to perform other tricks. Every level of Power Up: Unicorn Magic allows the player to define a half dozen tricks they can perform. The Great and Powerful Trixie had one level of Power Up: Unicorn Magic. I gave Twilight two based on spells she has actually been shown using, but based on the list she seems to be working down she should probably have much more.
Examples of tricks include animating objects (ropes and plows), growing mustaches, mind control, summoning winds, creating small thunderclouds and lightning, and making bright, decorative lights and miniature fireworks.

Unicorn Telekinesis (-1): This power requires Unicorn Magic, and boosts the strength of the telekinesis. Twilight is the only example we have of this in FiM, and I decided that her abilities merited at least one additional power up so there would be somewhere in between for other PCs. With a power up in Telekinesis, Twilight can with effort levitate objects and living beings larger than a house, and casually handle dozens or hundreds of small (apple or book sized) objects with precise control.

Unicorn Teleport (-1): Some unicorns can teleport themselves, and ones touching them, either a short line of sight distance or to a place within 1 mile that they know well. In tactical combat, the unicorn can teleport to move 1 zone without needing a supplemental action. This movement can ignore border ratings, as long as the unicorn can clearly see or knows the destination zone well. This power requires "Unicorn Magic". Use of this power is accompanied by a bright flash.

Last edited:

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
Tactical combat teleportation can modelled with the various Speed powers. Drop the initiative bonus and replace it with being able to ignore border ratings. Probably use the same reduction to borders as the reduction to stealth difficulties.

Other than that, I'm not really familiar with the setting, so I don't think I can make good suggestions.

Vessiel

RPGnet Member
Validated User
You should fix that right now!

Reading the speed powers, there's a lot that doesn't seem to apply. But the Casual Movement definitely does (Teleportation is always accompanied by a flash, so stealth is not appropriate). I'll add it to the description. With only that power, I don't think I'll need to change the refresh cost either.

Last edited:

Vessiel

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Our second most powered pony is:

Rainbow Dash

Aspects:
High Concept- Daredevil
Trouble- Loud and Proud
Background- Tomboy
Shaped By- Aspiring Wonderbolt
First Adventure- Loyalty
Guest Star- It's All Fun And Games
Guest Star- Act First, Think Later

Stress:
Physical - 4
Mental - 4
Social - 3

Skills:
Superb (+5) Athletics
Great (+4) Conviction
Good (+3) Endurance
Fair (+2) Fists, Intimidation
Average (+1) Might, Performance, Presence, Resources

Base Refresh: 8
Remaining Refresh: 2

Stunts:
None

Powers:
Wings (-1)
Supernatural Speed (-4)
Weather Control (-1)

Vessiel

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Only one new power for Rainbow Dash:

Weather Control (-1): Weather control allows the Pegasus pony (the character must have wings) to move clouds, summon winds and literally kick the rain, thunder and lightning out of a cloud in the sky. Extremely skilled ponies (like Rainbow Dash) can, with a good athletics roll and spending a fate point, create localized tornadoes and rainbows.

Last edited:

Mechalus

Validated User
Just a quick FYI,

All of the Powers you seem to be needing (Teleportation, Telekinesis, Weather Control, etc.) are already in Strands of Fate; as well as support for non-human races.

Shaira

Validated User
Hi there,

You know, I know you said you wanted to get to know Fate, and personally I'm a huge fan of the Fate system, but it strikes me that the Zorcerer of Zo game would be *perfect* for what you're trying to do with MLP. The PDQ system is very much a kind of "FATE-lite", and would avoid having to shoehorn things quite so much.

Just a thought ;)

Cheers,

Sarah

Top Bottom