• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[FATE] New space opera release - looking for input!

chaldfont

Retired User
On creating ship aspects...

I don't think I'd penalize a PC an aspect just to give one to the ship. Make the ship just like you would a PC, only let everyone do one phase. Maybe everyone picks an aspect or two. That aspect may be related to the PC or not, but it must be related to the ship's history.

In this way, the players actually come up with the ship's history during character creation. This process could even inspire PC aspects.

Player 1: In my phase, we encountered a derelict alien ship and discovered its mysterious power source. We hooked it up to the FTL to see what would happen and ended up halfway across the galaxy! It took us months to get back! So I'm giving the ship the "Powered by Mysterious Alien Artifact" aspect.

Player 2: Cool! Let's say that during that long voyage home, my character's fiance gave him up for dead and married a corrupt planetary official on his homeworld. My PC's taking the "My Girlfriend Married a Bad Guy Because of this Damn Ship" aspect.

JoystickJunkies

Validated User
On creating ship aspects...

I don't think I'd penalize a PC an aspect just to give one to the ship. Make the ship just like you would a PC, only let everyone do one phase. Maybe everyone picks an aspect or two. That aspect may be related to the PC or not, but it must be related to the ship's history.

In this way, the players actually come up with the ship's history during character creation. This process could even inspire PC aspects.

Player 1: In my phase, we encountered a derelict alien ship and discovered its mysterious power source. We hooked it up to the FTL to see what would happen and ended up halfway across the galaxy! It took us months to get back! So I'm giving the ship the "Powered by Mysterious Alien Artifact" aspect.

Player 2: Cool! Let's say that during that long voyage home, my character's fiance gave him up for dead and married a corrupt planetary official on his homeworld. My PC's taking the "My Girlfriend Married a Bad Guy Because of this Damn Ship" aspect.
Good ideas! I do kind of like the idea of the players taking some pain to get some extra pokey features in their ship, maybe we'd let them all add one aspect and the group agrees on a negative aspect, and if anyone feels like giving up an aspect for the ship they gain a fate point.

Scurve

Bwah.
I don't want to give you the impression that I am hacking something like eight different games to Spirit of the Century at any given time (though I am), but I have been taking a Star Wars game over to the SotC Side. One of the guys in our group used to run it with d6, but he's no longer a part of our group (asshole), so we're starting his campaign up with me GMing and using SoTC rules. So...

Treating ships as characters is brilliant. Probably gonna have my group stat it up themselves (though I am going to impose a "Stolen from Mengus Hutt" and "Mysterious Death in the Cargo bay" aspects.)

Scurve

Bwah.
What I just realized was that by giving the ship aspects, that makes things taggable. Meaning, when Mengus Hutt comes to attack, the ship gets a FP for "Stolen from Mengus Hutt". How would you use those fate points?

I'm thinking they belong to the ship and any of the players can use those fate points to tag the ship aspects (or any of their aspects related to the ship) when interacting with the ship (piloting, gunning, slightly opening air locks with traitors in them to intimidate them into talking, etc.)

How else would you spend the fate points your ship would earn?

Brad J. Murray

VSCA
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Also working on a scale, so for example a character can harm a fighter, but not a starship unless he has a weapon with the appropriate stunt. A fighter can harm a starship but not a spacestation unless it has a weapon with the appropriate stunt and so on.

I would not explicitly constrain by scale like this but rather do it implicitly through stunts and phys tracks (and the mental equivalent for ECM!) -- there always needs to be room for some kid in a fighter to destroy the Ultimate Planet Destroying Space Station.

Eisenmann

10th Level ADD Gamer
Validated User
I've been tinkering with almost all the suggestions here. There are so many and that's what makes it tough to pare down it all down to the coolest essentials run with it.

sabbatregent

Usuario Registrado
Originally Posted by JoystickJunkies:
Also working on a scale, so for example a character can harm a fighter, but not a starship unless he has a weapon with the appropriate stunt. A fighter can harm a starship but not a spacestation unless it has a weapon with the appropriate stunt and so on.
I think scale is a non-problem for FATE. The gadget rules already propose a Maximize improvement to deal with things way bigger than yourself. I don't think you need a lot more than that. (It's better for newbies, IMHO)

There's my Big creature thread. You may want to check that out. Some of the ideas could be used for big sci-fi critters and perhaps even to spaceships (as it seems they are going to be characters unto themselves).

JoystickJunkies

Validated User
I've been tinkering with almost all the suggestions here. There are so many and that's what makes it tough to pare down it all down to the coolest essentials run with it.
You're right, so many great ideas! It will be tough, but fun drawing all the best ideas together!

JoystickJunkies

Validated User
I think scale is a non-problem for FATE. The gadget rules already propose a Maximize improvement to deal with things way bigger than yourself. I don't think you need a lot more than that. (It's better for newbies, IMHO)

There's my Big creature thread. You may want to check that out. Some of the ideas could be used for big sci-fi critters and perhaps even to spaceships (as it seems they are going to be characters unto themselves).
Thanks I did come across that before and there's some great stuff, thanks! It's really useful having links to everyone's discussions here too

iago

www.evilhat.com
Validated User
I'm out of time to post today, but I wanted to weigh in on this quickly!

Several folks have piped up talking about treating spaceships like characters -- aspects, skills, the works. This is absolutely what I would regard as Right Thinking, even though I try to avoid making such pronouncements.

In fact, I honestly think that Fate is all about treating EVERYTHING as a character, on some level. In SOTC, we've got this at its most reduced form, by putting aspects on everything, but there's absolutely nothing at all saying you can't also give those things skills, stunts, a full collaborative character creation process...

Imagine creating your own setting by having each player own a part of it and creating the Five Spacefaring Cultures of the game *just like characters*, running through the phased process, giving the cultures "guest starring" moments where they interact with other cultures, putting aspects on them, building out a skill list to represent the culture's strengths and weaknesses...

Then you zoom in. Planets and star systems within Space Empire X get treated like characters. One player grabs Tattooine and slaps a 'Mos Eisley - Wretched Hive of Scum and Villainy' aspect on it at one point. Bam, instant locale for the game they're about to run...

Then you zoom in. Neighborhoods within the city get done up like characters...

So on and so forth.

Ultimately I like to think of Fate as a fractal system. Like a fractal, it's made up of a bunch of different pieces that all resemble one another. Pick one section and zoom in, and you'll see something entirely different -- and yet very familiar, the smaller part having patterns that resemble the greater whole.

Design like that.

Okay, I'm out!

Top Bottom