[FATE/SoF] Strands of Fate...for Exalted

Kiero

Retiring User
Validated User
FATE and Exalted have been married together before. There have been a number of conversions from SotC, for example. But I don't think I've seen one for Strands.

It would seem to be a fairly simple thing to do in many respects; Strands already does supers well, and mechanically a lot of what Exalts can do are similar. The basic part of modelling a character is, as always, pretty easy.

What are the essential parts of the original system that need to be brought across or at least reflected in some form or other? Virtues and Limit Break?

How could you abstract and simplify Charms - is everything you need already in the Powers toolbox?

Is Ox Body Technique and every other similar charm just Armour with the Passive modifier on it, and amped up with Improved Armour and/or Compatibility if you want a more powerful "Charm"?

Are the various attack-oriented Charms just forms of Power Attack?

Would you buy them individually (which seems appropriate to me) and reserve Control for sorcery?

What CamPL would you use?

ParadoxDruid

Looking for witty tagline
Validated User
What are the essential parts of the original system that need to be brought across or at least reflected in some form or other? Virtues and Limit Break?
Maybe I don't love Exalted enough (but my huge collection and multiple campaigns says otherwise)-- but I think you don't need to bring even those traits. Just use Aspects-- and remember that "Solar" can be compelled for hubristic behavior because of the great curse.

How could you abstract and simplify Charms - is everything you need already in the Powers toolbox?
I think it's mostly in the Powers toolbox. Instead of Fate point costs, generally give everything an activation difficulty using the affinity ability "Essence-wielding" and the custom stress track "Essence".

Is Ox Body Technique and every other similar charm just Armour with the Passive modifier on it, and amped up with Improved Armour and/or Compatibility if you want a more powerful "Charm"?
I'd say Ox-Body is just the heroic advantage "Resilience"
Are the various attack-oriented Charms just forms of Power Attack?
Pretty much, yes. Or Body Weapons, or whatever.
Would you buy them individually (which seems appropriate to me) and reserve Control for sorcery?
I wouldn't use Control even for Sorcery-- Control is more useful for DnD level tactical spellcasting, generally. Each Sorcery spell is just a big, powerful Power with a Limitation: Takes time to Cast, Can be Counterspelled
What CamPL would you use?
I think you could do starting characters somewhere around Metro class superheroes, but that's just a quick guess.

It also depends how much you want perfect parity versus translating concept (for instance, do they really need 10 starting charms / Powers, or can you capture the "feel" in 4 or 5 powers plus some Aspects that you can invoke-- the "Shining Warrior of the Sun" aspect can be invoked for a +2 to attack rolls; why get a charm/Power like "Sledgehammer Fist Punch" (Power Attack, Melee, WR +2) that would just do the same, but cost more and add more fiddly details?

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
Don't try to model all of the mechanical things. You'll drive yourself batty. Instead, model their place in the narrative.

For Virtues, don't try to give every character a rating in all of them unless you plan on inventing hefty Virtue mechanics. Instead, dedicate one of each Exalted characters' Aspects to their primary Virtue/the Great Curse. This way, Valor guy can always be like, "I'm all brave and stuff, so I'm going to be all brave and do this dangerous thing!" Then you can say, "Well there, brave guy, backing down from a fight doesn't seem so brave to me..." You get the function without messing around with a bunch of stats.

For crap's sake, don't try to convert each Charm. Instead convert areas of expertise. Build little suites of powers and allow players to throw in whatever Charm name they want.

In my conversion, one useful concept was the idea of giving things scale ratings. Then penalize most people when they try to do bigger scale stuff, and cap them out at a certain point. So a normal person can't ever kick down city gates. But an Exalt with the ability to ignore scale penalties to a degree can treat city gates the same way as they treat a person. Using this eventually allows Exalts to do things like punch whole armies at once and cut a mountain in half (the latter of which was an explicit goal in my conversion).

Mechalus

Validated User
I don't know much about Exalted, so I don't have much to offer other than to echo what others have said.

Don't try to emulate the rules.

When I do a conversion from X to FATE, I imagine how X would read if I were learning about it from fiction instead of game rules. Then I convert the "fiction" to FATE. And if you've already read some fiction from X, then it should be that much easier.

Kiero

Retiring User
Validated User
Not to worry, I'm nowhere near familiar enough with Exalted's mechanics to attempt a "conversion" anyway, I always go with an adaptation that covers the same ground. It's that lack of familiarity that leads me to ask people who do know Exalted better whether everything that Charms do is already covered by Powers. If there's five Charms from different splats which are all "do more damage" then I'm going to condense them down into a single "does more damage" Advantage.

Agreed that stuff like The Great Curse is probably best handled through Aspects.

It also depends how much you want perfect parity versus translating concept (for instance, do they really need 10 starting charms / Powers, or can you capture the "feel" in 4 or 5 powers plus some Aspects that you can invoke-- the "Shining Warrior of the Sun" aspect can be invoked for a +2 to attack rolls; why get a charm/Power like "Sledgehammer Fist Punch" (Power Attack, Melee, WR +2) that would just do the same, but cost more and add more fiddly details?
Well, in one respect it doesn't cost more: it doesn't cost me FPs to use (unless I get Effortless, of course). Each time I break out my Sledgehammer Fist Punch doesn't have to be of narrative significance, just something I want to use to beat down my opponent.

But I agree, relevant Aspects plus four or five powers is much better than ten fiddly little ones just because starting Exalts in the original rules have that many.

Aysez

Quietly Mad
Validated User
Now the important question is how do you do Infernals? Those seem, to me, the hardest to do. (Of course somebody here will prove how wrong I am, but that's cool.)
Maybe I don't know Fate well enough, but I can't wrap my head around how to do transcendent monsters.

Naeolin

Emperor of Ice Cream
Now the important question is how do you do Infernals? Those seem, to me, the hardest to do. (Of course somebody here will prove how wrong I am, but that's cool.)
Maybe I don't know Fate well enough, but I can't wrap my head around how to do transcendent monsters.
Infernals are the one splat that I've never taken a look at, but I have a hard time believing it would be that difficult to capture their essence in Strands. What, in your opinion, would make them more difficult than lunars or sidereals?

CrackedMan_SAH

akaSagaciousAscendingHero
Validated User
I don't have SoF, but I do have Dresden Files, what do you think my chances are of making that work for an Exalted conversion? Or do I need the generic SoF powers?

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
I don't have SoF, but I do have Dresden Files, what do you think my chances are of making that work for an Exalted conversion? Or do I need the generic SoF powers?
My current swing at a Fate conversion for Exalted is based on DF. I changed a bunch of stuff, but the core is mostly DF. I decoupled Refresh from Stunts and have a different set of generic Stunts for each Exalted type (so Solar Stunts actually do more than Terrestrial ones) to allow for differing power levels with the same number of Stunts.

But, yeah. You don't need Strands. I've run fun Exalted games using more or less Tri-Fold Fate (in my sig) with a good deal of success.

Top Bottom