• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Fate] Using Tachyon Squadron’s engagement rules for races and chases

Stormfalcon

Just slumming
RPGnet Member
Validated User
(Snip some Cosmo Tiger and Zero goodness)
Oh wow...love those fighters from Space Cruiser Yamato! That got the music from the show running through my head on sight alone! That big purple one though...looks more like something the Zeons from Gundam coughed up.

WightMutt

The Doge One
Validated User
Oh wow...love those fighters from Space Cruiser Yamato! That got the music from the show running through my head on sight alone! That big purple one though...looks more like something the Zeons from Gundam coughed up.
Pretty sure you're right and the purple one is a Zeon Gaw.

TS is one of those games I keep thinking of cool ideas but haven't settled on one to run, really should narrow it down.

Jerry D. Grayson

Putting the f-u in FUN
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yes, the ship at the bottom was representing a capital ship and I have a ton of Gundam stuff on hand, so it got used.
The game gave me an excuse to buy more Space Battleship Yamato ships :)

Kasharin Manichea

Doesn't really exist
Validated User
Very cool. I've been mulling over a speed racer game and Tachyon Squadron was on my shortlist of games to look at. Seems like I was on the right track

Clark

Ensign 9th Class
Validated User
Mainly I’m just planning to add/remove shield boxes, equipment slots, and stunts; and I’m wondering what the ratios between those elements should be. For example do 2 shields = 1 standard stunt?
You could probably go with something like that (I'm at work and haven't thought about the details for a while so I might be wrong about relative costs of things). Mike's system is based on quality levels, giving each level of ship (standard, bleeding edge, obsolete, civilian, and such, similar to what modern military aviation folks call "3rd generation," "4th generation" etc.) a base loadout with options to add additional stuff like weapons bays, shields, bonuses to skills, etc. dependent on its level. This gives you room to customize ships within the "generation" while still keeping a clear difference between obsolete junkers and brand new high tech stuff.

Slightly off-topic, but regarding you running Star Wars with Tachyon Squadron...are your players strictly snub-nose jockeys? Or do you have adventures outside of the cockpit? I absolutely love the Tachyon dogfight rules, and have thought about running Star Wars with it, but I was afraid that the reliance on specialized skills for the space scenes would detract from adventures away from their ships.
You can always treat the space combat stuff as a bolt-on. Take an otherwise legal Fate PC and let them select ranks 1-4 in each of the spacefaring skills, let them take 1 free spaceship related stunt, and off you go. It's not really unbalancing because spacefaring skills & stunts don't interact much with non-spacefaring skills. It will probably work with almost any skill-based "skill rating plus die roll vs. target number" system, honestly, not just Fate.

Clark

Ensign 9th Class
Validated User
I’ve been running a Star Wars campaign using the Tachyon Squadron rules for Fate. Today I ran a pod race, using TS’ ‘Engagement’ rules for dogfighting to simulate the racers jockeying for position. It worked beautifully.
My favorite thing about designing games is when people hack them to do new things, and this is absolutely wonderful. :D

Reef

Incredible!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You can always treat the space combat stuff as a bolt-on. Take an otherwise legal Fate PC and let them select ranks 1-4 in each of the spacefaring skills, let them take 1 free spaceship related stunt, and off you go. It's not really unbalancing because spacefaring skills & stunts don't interact much with non-spacefaring skills. It will probably work with almost any skill-based "skill rating plus die roll vs. target number" system, honestly, not just Fate.
I was wondering about taking that tack. It’s what Warbirds does, so the thought was in my mind. Nice to have an official endorsement...:).

Thorfred

Validated User
Now thinking about this thread, is there anything that prevents this from being used in atmosphere dog fighting, for example WW2 era fighters and bombers. I was thinking that one could treat villages or cities as cruisers, or at least the anti-air weapons could be treated like the weapons platforms of cruisers.

To be honest my dream and ambition would be to mod this to work with fantasy genre so that I would finally have a great Fate gadget for games where the PCs are dragons 😁.

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Now thinking about this thread, is there anything that prevents this from being used in atmosphere dog fighting, for example WW2 era fighters and bombers. I was thinking that one could treat villages or cities as cruisers, or at least the anti-air weapons could be treated like the weapons platforms of cruisers.
No - it would be great for that and someday I'm going to run that game myself. There are a few Stunts and pieces of equipment and whatnot that need to be re-worked and you'll need to make some decisions about how to handle the Shields mechanic and the Technology skill, but generally speaking the mechanical work required would be modest.

Thorfred

Validated User
No - it would be great for that and someday I'm going to run that game myself. There are a few Stunts and pieces of equipment and whatnot that need to be re-worked and you'll need to make some decisions about how to handle the Shields mechanic and the Technology skill, but generally speaking the mechanical work required would be modest.
That was the feel I got from a very quick thoughtplay. The mechanical side is not huge. I am more (though not very) concerned about how to work with cities. Probably the squadron could at most attack a district of a larger city. I do not want a few planes taking down the whole Berlin for example. Perhaps it is just something I have to work out outside the rules, as a GM statement, but I like to back things up with a solid rule framework when possible.

Top Bottom