• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Favorite Time Travel Shenanigans!

Tom B

Validated User
I used time travel to have the PCs retcon the setting. After running a campaign for a year or so, I really wasn't happy with how one of the countries was working out. It wasn't appropriate to the campaign that had developed, and I couldn't have events unfold as I'd originally intended. There's a mystical forest in the heart of the continent that had played a fairly large role in the campaign, and the PCs were some of the few that dared venture into it. Its odd and unpredictable effects were well established, so emerging six centuries in the past didn't even surprise them. A couple of chance encounters, a soldier saved, and when they return to the present the country in question is now much more suitable for the rest of the campaign.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Validated User
Anyway, when he inevitably finds his way to this thread, ask him about how a playtest party took out Nazi Amelia Earhardt.
They knew who Nazi Amelia Earhart's dad was, and that's good, because she was kicking their ass in chrono-combat. Tossed out a window, my wife's Agent ostensibly fled in terror. Except she went back in time and became the favored teacher of the father when he was a young schoolboy in Prussia. She mentored him, taught him, and made sure he practically idolized her. then, when he was graduating, she gave him a belt buckle that symbolized his scholarship and achievements, one that he would proudly wear on his belts for years to come.

"I spend 2 Science! points. The belt buckle is just barely radioactive, just enough to make him sterile for life."

And back in the present, about to be victorious, with a horrified look on her face, Nazi Amelia Earhart fails her paradox test and disappears in a puff of unwelcome continuity.

VICTORY!

Gentleman Ranker

Validated User
I'm always partial to a "we're stuck in the past without any tech. We have to do a fetch quest to get all the things necessary to create an electronic "Timethumb" several centuries before electronics are invented so that we can catch a lift from another passing time traveller" plot.

Coming back to the present partway through the mission to find that time travel has never been invented and some of the crew are sstuck in the past is always fun.

Harry Harrison's Technicolour Time Machine is a good read. Featuring Time travel used as a method of getting cheap authentic location shooting and extras for making a B movie.

Here's a thought. "The secret of my Success". The players have accidentally picked up a hitchiker, a well meaning young chap called Tim or Tem. He gets accidentally dropped off in the 1980s. By the time the crew find him he's got a local girlfriend and job in the mail room in a large company. He likes the 20thCentury and wants to stay. After all, what harm could it do. Obviously "Tim" is short for Temujin.

GR

Piratecat

Validated User
In one TimeWatch game the agents threw a non-human bad guy out the window... then went back in time, stole a pickup truck, filled the bed with bear traps, and parked it under the window just in time for the bad guy to fly out and land on them.

Quote of the game: "If all you have a time machine, every problem looks like a pickup full of bear traps."

One of the rare times I got to play, I played Col. Thomas Blood, scoundrel and ne'er-do-well. Blood was drunk in a bar when the mission actually launched and his teammates left him behind in disgust. He got drunker, staggered out, threw up, passed out, woke up with a splitting hangover, got breakfast, then went back in time to the previous day. He paid a point of Paradox Prevention, clapped his younger self on the shoulder ("Keep drinking, I've got this"), and joined his colleagues for the actual mission. Time travel to the rescue!

Last edited:

SunlessNick

Mildly Darkened One
Validated User
In one TimeWatch game the agents threw a non-human bad guy out the window... then went back in time, stole a pickup truck, filled the bed with bear traps, and parked it under the window just in time for the bad guy to fly out and land on them.
I think that's become my new favourite. Though it will be surpassed if someone comes up with an escape version - ie later on they'll park a truck under the window they're jumping out of, loaded with foam matting for them land on.

Top Bottom