• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Female vampires in anime and related media

Bicorn

Validated User
Something that I thought about: anime and anime-inspired media has its own set of tropes for what female vampires look like.
If there is a female vampire in anime, Japanese video games, etc. she will almost always have at least one of the following traits, often at least three:

1. Very young-looking
2. Very long hair
3. Blonde, white or silver hair
4. Unusual eye colour, e.g. red or yellow
5. Likes cute frilly clothing
6. Haughty and/or tsundere personality.

Perhaps the most representative example of this I can immediately think of is Rachel Alucard from BlazBlue, who has all six of those traits.
Any other such common characteristics?

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Often some kind of "true vampire" or "elder vampire", which isn't always explained very well. But boy do you see a lot of clannish structure.

I've seen one place (the light novel series Silver Cross With Draculea) where "true blood" seems to refer to a dozen people who drank the blood of Jesus on the cross. A couple of other sources have mysterious elder beings at the root of it all. It sounds very Western-inspired, but it's also got such a distinct feel to it that it feels like there should be a prototype we can track down somewhere.

Meanwhile, in UQ Holder, the Elder Vampire who shows up is pretty much the opposite of this: she's about 8 feet tall and built like an Earth Goddess. (Literally like an Earth Goddess, they point it out in the text.) She's round everywhere - and dresses to impress, with a very fashionable mature style. Her student vampire is a long-haired blonde loligoth tsundere, of course. So.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've also see multiple young vampire girls who actually *are* young and often in need of help (sometimes protection, usually companionship). Sometimes a bit scattered brain, as in the case of Karin from Chibi Vampire.

Arilou

Banned
Arcueid from Tsukihime only hits 3 and 4 (and the latter IIRC, only in special circumstances)

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
More often than not, it also seems that vampires actually are rich or some kind of aristocracy, to go with the haughty personality type.

Ulzgoroth

Mad Scientist
Validated User
Often some kind of "true vampire" or "elder vampire", which isn't always explained very well. But boy do you see a lot of clannish structure.

I've seen one place (the light novel series Silver Cross With Draculea) where "true blood" seems to refer to a dozen people who drank the blood of Jesus on the cross. A couple of other sources have mysterious elder beings at the root of it all. It sounds very Western-inspired, but it's also got such a distinct feel to it that it feels like there should be a prototype we can track down somewhere.
Not either Vampire: The Masquerade or whatever V:tM got it from?

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Very likely, but I don't know enough early Japanese vampire fiction to say for sure. There's an equally strong case in my mind that the aristo/plebian divide in vampirism comes from something like Hammer Horror films, where Dracula is a dignified and charismatic Count but his minions are bestial commoners. (Disclaimer: Haven't seen much Hammer, but this is the sort of scheme that inspired the D&D vampire, with its hierarchy of thralls. The idea was in the air at one point.)

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Not VtM, timeline doesn't match up, since I think Vampire Hunter D used it, where Dracula was the source and D is super strong from having his blood.

Anne Rice used something like that, didn't she? Also had the 'young looking very old girl in frills' vampire. It may root from Interview.

Last edited:

Unka Josh

Social Justice Chimera
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Anne Rice. Interview with a Vampire, The Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned in particular were extremely influential on V:tM.

Also, a common (but not universal) trope is "The young-looking vampire who acts childish or adolescent but is actually pretty old." Which has a way of coming across as "No, it's OK, she's not actually 14! Honest!"

Best example: Tsukuyomi Moon Phase, but you get a more nuanced, interesting portrayal in some versions of Vampire Princess Miyu, such as the OVA series, in which she has petty, minor jealousies over pretty boys, but still shoulders the weight of her position responsibly.

Top Bottom