• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Feng Shui 2] Opinions? Anyone playing?

Tipsy

Validated User
I did run a year-ish campaign with it and...it really groaned under the pressure near the end.

It is a great game for cinematic combat and telling stories through cinematic combat, but:

1) the lack of rules/support for activities outside of combat really shows in a campaign

2) following the rule as written, antagonists get really samey, really fast

3) coupled with the lack of character creation/archetype customization, I can't recommend FS2 for anything longer than 3 sessions or a con game

I think FS2 is a real victim of a trend towards gearing systems to do one thing very well and assuming players with broader interests have the time/inclination to kitbash everything else.

What little support the game did get (e.g. Secrets of the Chi War) felt like lazy compilations of forum threads, rather than real support (i.e. why propose a dinosaur era adventure if you can't be bothered to include a single dinosaur stat block and advice on how to run combats/chases using them?)

Overall, FS2 is a missed opportunity that, in my opinion, may have passed unnoticed if not for a certain podcast.

jimthegray

Validated User
Last week I went back to my old FLGS in my previous home city -- they always had a massive selection of RPGs which was pretty impressive. Every time I've gone back over the past 5 years they have shrunk the RPG selection even more in order to make room for more board games. It doesn't surprise me, because RPGs on store shelves are drying up everywhere, but I still find it a little sad. At any rate, despite their relatively tiny RPG section they still manage to stock more than any FLGS in my current city and I ended up buying a few things I've never actually seen in person before, even though they are several years old now. One of them was Feng Shui 2 (the other is Torg: Eternity, which I'll post separately about).

I first learned of Feng Shui back in the 90s via the Shadowfist CCG. I wasn't interested in the CCG or the RPG back then, but I guess a couple decades makes a difference because now I think FS2 sounds like tons of fun. However, when I was doing some preliminary research on it before pulling the trigger, I saw that discussion of the game pretty much dried up a few years ago. It was published in 2015 and by 2017 it seemed to be mostly lost to history, at least as far as this and some other internet forums go.

So just curious, is anybody playing FS2? Maybe there's a thriving community which just isn't well represented in forums like these? Did it fall out of favor due to some quirk with the rules or anything like that?

I have only skimmed the book so far but it looks like it'd be a blast.
We play when we need a one off game and my wife runs a holiday game of it between Halloween and xmas. Love it

jimthegray

Validated User
I rather like it (as again, I kickstarted it). This said, I'm not sure if Feng Shui 2 is the best for an ongoing campaign ... but for a one shot or a short couple of sessions, it's great.

Some of the archetypes are a little TOO on the nose, I dare say-- the Two-Fisted Archeologist is straight-up Indiana Jones, for example. This said, don't be afraid to muck around with it, especially where character stuff is involved. If you want your Old Master to have a noodle making skill? Give him the damn noodle making skill already.

Most recently, I used Feng Shui 2 to run a GI Joe based game for a convention one-shot, and had an absolute blast with it. Some of the archetypes were spot on (Snake Eyes as the Ninja, for example), while others needed more tweaking-- I think I'm most proud of adapting the Driver archetype for Cover Girl, and giving her a unique schtick called "Tanks for the Memories." :)
You have the notes for that game. Cause that's awesome

Galadrin

Validated User
I'm always looking for alternative systems to run Feng Shui, because for me the absolute best part of it is the Shadowfist setting. I know there are hacks for Apocalypse World and Savage Worlds and I am always looking for other conversions as well.

Tumbleweed

Supporting Cast!
Validated User
You have the notes for that game. Cause that's awesome
Well since you ask, let's see if this Google drive thing works ...

The notes in there are of the basic three-act "Go over there and punch some guys!" structure. Probably missing some stuff in there, as I tend to run games off the cuff. And, y'know, I didn't quite have the time to properly edit the character sheets to look like filecards, but what can ya do.

Though the slideshow in there is what really brought the game together, as I used the old box-art to illustrate who the Joes were punching/what they were blowing up more often than not. :)

jimthegray

Validated User

The notes in there are of the basic three-act "Go over there and punch some guys!" structure. Probably missing some stuff in there, as I tend to run games off the cuff. And, y'know, I didn't quite have the time to properly edit the character sheets to look like filecards, but what can ya do.

Though the slideshow in there is what really brought the game together, as I used the old box-art to illustrate who the Joes were punching/what they were blowing up more often than not. :)

Cam Banks

Kiwi Game Designer
Validated User
Every single one of the 36 archetypes in Feng Shui has several Hong Kong movie exemplars. In fact, everything in the game has HK influences. Even the things you think might not be.

My favourite part of the game production process was handing the original FS rules to play testers as the playtest document. I just had them run the adventure in the back, no sourcebooks, no house rules. Then I gave all of that feedback (lots and lots and lots of it) to Robin, and he addressed every single one of them.

Cheers,
Cam

ZenCorrosion

Validated User

This is pretty awesome and I love the box art. It's always good to see good GI Joe rpg implementations.

For my part, I have Feng Shui 2 and I think it's pretty cool. I'm not really familiar with the original FS so the setting changes didn't really bother me. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to actually run the game however. I was working on an adaption to use it for Samurai Jack, but I'm one of those GMs that keeps getting distracted by other projects...

Goldbee

Validated User
I had a lot of fun with the game, and we had so many new players come through… Every week it seems we have a new guest star.
It’s a downer that speed is part of the game, because I played a character with +9 or so speed, and people with +four speed got to act about half as much during any combat. That’s huge.

SibKhatru

Validated User
I love FS and FS2. We have about 35-40 sessions. We run by a quick scene link step with a logical choice (sometimes binary, more often 3 or more options) and run through fights and such as the main trope...

About speed: it’s perfect for us. The speed freaks shine. It’s part of the cinematic excitement.

Top Bottom