• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

OOC Ferromani Nights: Strange Tales and Dreadful Deeds.

Damian May

Apex Predator
Validated User
Post PCs here with backgrounds and a short speal on how you know each of the other PCs. :)

You are currently all situated at the Campo dei Merari in the early hours of a pleasant spring evening.

The Campo, located in the sestiere of San Selo, is named after the huge church of the Meranite Order which dominates the northern border of the open space. Four portals of the baroque edifice on the north of the main façade formerly belong to the convent. The Rio Piccola adjacent to the complex on the north used to provide drinking water and was a popular place to fish but the waterway is now devoid of life and drinking from it would be a fools errand.
The other sides of the Campo are composed of the walls of private residences and government offices, there are four main streets running away from it in cardinal directions and a number of smaller alleyways, it does not border any canals.

The centre of the Campo is dominated by a small flea-market and traders selling baked apples, zaleti and frittelle. There are a large number of bored looking ( mostly merchant class) youths here and a group of young noble women accompanied by family militia.

Walkie Talkie Noise Decoder

There are monkey boys in the facility
Validated User
Zampa di Gatto

A cocky street tough, top storey burglar and member of the Copper Thieves. Cat's paw got her first taste of city life when her poor parents fostered her out to an aunt in the city. Said aunt's third or maybe fourth husband was a thief and trained the little scamp in the arts of breaking and entering, deceit, tomfoolery, stabby stabby and how to kick a man in the goolies. She can be found most afternoons in one of her favourite drinking establishments in the XXXX area of town.
Of late she's begun hanging around a foreigner called Thugnar, exactly why is anyone's guess, and a posh bint called Maria, who not only has a ready bit of coin for half inched parchment, but also fascinates the bad mouthed ruffian with her airs, graces and half hinted promises of future riches...

Str 14
ref 16
int 11
psy 9
look 8

Health 8

Attk 17
Defence 8
Magical def 5
Evasion 7

Stealth 21
Perception 10

Shock attack

Pick lock II
Climbing
Jump
Breakfall II

social class
Parents are charcoal burners

language: No extra, and illiterate

stuff
Hidden stash: 157 florins

backpack, staff, sword, dagger,
crossbow, case containing 10 quarrels, padded armour,
miscellaneous equipment (rope, climbing gear, hand
lantern, flint-and-tinder, etc), 15 florins.

Last edited:

O'Borg

Quit.
Validated User
Thugnar of Katorheim, 3rd Rank Barbarian

Thugnar was born to serf parents in a village south of Katorheim. As a youth, his strength, speed and lack of intelligence got him into enough brawls that eventually the local lordling noticed and drafted him into his service as a guard. When the local lordling died unexpectedly on a trip to Ereworn, Thugnar and the handful of retainers in the party found themselves stranded masterless, penniless and in a foreign land. Some made for home, some took service locally whilst Thugnar and a couple of others went wandering in search of treasure. After spending most of a year adventuring around Ellesland, he came to Ongus in southern Albion where a foreign merchant recruiting guards for his wares caught his interest and he found himself on board a ship trading between ports around the edge of Algandy and into the Coradian Sea and eventually to Ferromaine. He there elected to stay and look around rather than repeating the return journey back to Ongus.

He's been in Ferromaine for about a month now, long enough to get used to the climate and refine his dialect a bit, and just long enough to get a bit bored.

STR 17, REF 16, INT 7, PSY 11, LOOKS 10, HP 14.
Attack 20
Defence 12
Evasion 7
Magic Defense 6
Stealth 14
Perception 5
HP 17

Languages Visic(Fluent, native), Elleslandic (Intermediate, picked up) Angate (Intermediate, tutored/pickedup on ship so rather 'salty' vocabulary)

Florins 79
Chainmail AF4
Battleaxe D8+1, 7
Dagger D4+1, 4
Lantern
Backpack
Flint&Tinder

------------------
I'm guessing Thugnar caught Maria's interest due to his foreign accent, his tales of far off lands were probably worth a meal and a beer or two in a quiet tavern, which is a likely place to run into Zampa and Guglielmo.

Last edited:

Validated User
Thugnar of Katorheim, 3rd Rank Barbarian
I'm guessing Thugnar caught Maria's interest due to his foreign accent, his tales of far off lands were probably worth a meal and a beer or two in a quiet tavern, which is a likely place to run into Zampa and Guglielmo.
If it's cool with you let's say we've hung about a fair bit, enjoy each other's company and have done some work together. I'd rather be friends than mere acquaintances.

Validated User
As no one else has posted I'm going to spam the thread.

Is there a map of Feromaine? What's the roughest area called? Can we have a heads up why we are where we are when we start? I was thinking to play Zampa the quiet unassuming type....

DarkMum

Godamn Catwoman
Validated User
Maria Colombo, 3rd Rank Ferromaine Sorceress

STR:10 [No Mods] REF:13 [+1 Def,+1 Eva] INT:17 [+1 Atk,+1 Def,+1 M.Atk,+1M.Def] PSY:14 [+1 M.Atk,+1 M.Def] LOK:12 [No Mods]
Health:10 [Base1d6+4=9+1@Rank2] Armour Factor:2 Type: Hardened Leather Shield? No.
Attack:12 [Base11+1StatMod] Defence:7 [Base5+2StatMod] Evasion:4 [Base3+1StatMod]
Stealth:13 [Base13,No Mods] Perception:5 [Base5,No Mods] Vision: Normal
Mag. Attack:19 [Base 15,+2StatMod,+2@Rank3] Mag. Defence:9 [Base5,+2StatMod,+2@Rank3] Magic Points:12
Languages: Angate [Native,F] Bacchile [Archaic,I] Coradian Trader's Argot [Simple,F], Arcane [Sorcery!,F] Scripts: Classic, Arcane
Spells:
1st Rank: Dragonsbreath, Image, Lesser Healing, Moonglow, Portal, Weaken.
2nd Rank: Detect Aura, Hold Off The Dead, Inflict Wound, Peer, Tangleroots, Warding.
3rd Rank: Banquet, Beacon, Command, Greater Healing, Illusion, Wolfcall.
Equipment: Short Sword [d8, 3], Dagger [H2H d4, 3 Thrown d3, 3], Hardened Leather Armor [AF:2], Backpack, Flint&Tinder, Lantern, 1 Oil Flask, Bedroll, 7 days Rations, 1 Waterskin, Potion of Replenishment, Potion of Healing.
Money:36 Silver Florins

Background:Maria is a unremarkable young woman in appearance, and at the age of nineteen, more mildly pretty than stunningly beautiful (or spectacularly ugly). She tends to appear vague, nose most often buried in a book or pamphlet, than paying attention to events around her, but this is not the case, as the air of distraction masks an active and inquiring mind. She is of average height and medium build, a dark brown eyed brunette, with a olive complexion only a little pale from many hours spent reading rather than sitting in the sun, flirting from the balcony as her younger sister Diana does, ever hopeful of hooking a rich fish from the sea of young men.

Maria, however, has one ambition in life, the pursuit of arcane power. Marriage, however laudable a state, is not useful to a woman with scholarly ambition, in her opinion.

Her elder brother Antonio fails to understand this, but he's the one with the family business to run, and the hand on the family purse, not her. Family relations have been complicated since she discovered his wife Bianca plotting with Mama and Diana to marry the inconvenient sister-in-law/daughter/elder sister off to the first suitor to hand. Maria's carefully considered response was to quietly make her way to her brother's chambers, and threaten Antonio with castration.

Perhaps the fact she was holding a blade at the time may have convinced him of her sincerity, perhaps the rightness of her cause, the advancement of magical learning for both greater knowledge and family profit, spoke to him, perhaps the presence of his mistress, (hastily concealed behind the bed curtains) may have the reason for his counter-offer of a large purse, and his blessing to depart as soon as possible to search for new tutors and other sources of mystical lore.

She has spent the last year or so doing just that, with some success, but has reached the limits of her current teacher's magical knowledge, and is again in search of of a tutor in sorcery, or a library or university willing to take a paying student for as long as her funds, already running low, will allow.

Maria's also been known to sit in the marketplaces offering her services as a cheap scribe/reader, like many other students running short of money. She sometimes does cheap healing magic, no questions asked, something that will likely get her in to trouble with authorities if it comes to their attention.

Guglielmo was met within the near vicinity of a tavern. Maria teasingly claims her concern for the horse's welfare as her sole reason for continuing to associate with a such "a flower of chivalry so thirsty that it grows by the vine fields!".

Zampa is known to her as a trusted source of cheap scholarly supplies (Parchment isn't cheap, unless it's stolen off the final stage drying racks!) and small oddments like silver alloy wire and the like, and as a useful contact if her brother ever thinks about reneging on their agreement.

Thugnar speaks at least one language Maria doesn't know, and is also a source of information on a culture steeped in dark magics and old gods, far off the merchant trade routes she knows of only second-hand. She met him through his associate Zampa.

Last edited:

DarkMum

Godamn Catwoman
Validated User
That I'd have to ask the GM.
Was under the impression that Ferromaine was a bit less uptight than Albion or the Selenite Empire about Sorcerers, but I'd assume Zampa doesn't advertise the Assassin part of her sheet either.
I did say that cut-price, no questions asked healing would get her into trouble with the authorities, but I'd say that's more a danger if say, the local Guild of Doctors and Herbalists catches her at it, or someone she treats dies later.
IRL learned people were liable to be accused of being sorcerers quite a lot, for no better reason than they knew things.

Damian May

Apex Predator
Validated User
As no one else has posted I'm going to spam the thread.

Is there a map of Feromaine? What's the roughest area called? Can we have a heads up why we are where we are when we start? I was thinking to play Zampa the quiet unassuming type....
This is the one I'm using... http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/historical/venezia_italy_1913.jpg with some adjustments...your currently where it is marked as Campo S. Margherita.
Roughest area is between the garrison district and the public gardens....mainly because of the extent of the vice traffic there.

You are where you are because its a nice place to chill and relax on a pleasant evening. :)

Would we know Maria is a sorcerer? I'm not sure how open they are about their calling (I'm relatively new to this world).
You would almost certainly strongly suspect. it is a tolerated profession among noble sons....even if the calling is usually cloaked under the terms sage or astrologer or engineer or like terms. Poor sorcerers often find themselves being scapegoated at the earliest opportunity, female sorcerers are tolerated only among the upper eschelons among the poor they tend to end up in a canal at some point...

Then again once you have moved beyond the apprentice stage few folks will openly attack you to your face.....people will certainly mutter but unless there is a serious religious or social breach no one wants to front the person who makes people explode or turn into fish.

That I'd have to ask the GM.
Was under the impression that Ferromaine was a bit less uptight than Albion or the Selenite Empire about Sorcerers, but I'd assume Zampa doesn't advertise the Assassin part of her sheet either.
I did say that cut-price, no questions asked healing would get her into trouble with the authorities, but I'd say that's more a danger if say, the local Guild of Doctors and Herbalists catches her at it, or someone she treats dies later.
IRL learned people were liable to be accused of being sorcerers quite a lot, for no better reason than they knew things.
All good. yeah its not as bad as Algandy where there are folks being burned at the stake but most of the noble houses get up to far more troubling things at their parties than a bit of magic. The church chooses its battles in Ferromaine.....and they don't say things too openly considering the goings on in some of the abbeys and convents.

Top Bottom