IC Ferromani Nights: Strange Tales and Dreadful Deeds.

Damian May

Apex Predator
Validated User
The smell of honey and pastry wafted over Campo dei Merari in the early hours of a pleasant spring evening.

Signorina Maria Colombo reclined against the wall of San Benedicto, the huge church of the Meranite Order which dominated the northern border of the open space.

Looking across the way she could see an associate of hers, Zampa di Gatto ( or so the girl liked to be addressed) dangling her feet over the pitiful trickle that was the Rio Piccola. She saw the girls rough northern acquaintance ( OOC: Thugnar ) slouched against one of the old convent portals watching the people go about their leisure.

Looking across the way to the south side of the Campo she saw the figure of Cavaliere Guglielmo DeArcino entering the square, he was talking to a somewhat fresh-faced but well built young man ( OOC: Giovanni Ferraro ) and seemed slightly less inebriated than usual.

The centre of the Campo was dominated by a small flea-market and traders selling baked apples, zaleti and frittelle. As she ran her eyes over the customers she noted that there were a large number of bored looking ( mostly merchant class) youths here and a group of young noble women accompanied by family militia among the poorer folk.

As she was looking through her parchments in a rather bored manner a rather flustered looking young boy dressed in green hose and a pie-bald tunic ran up to her.

" Signorina Colombo?", the boy asked politely. When she nodded he pressed a parchment into her hand and ran off without waiting for payment....she assumed that whoever had sent the message had arranged for that.

She looked the parchment over quickly and then opened it......it was from her cousin, Rollo Loccardi.

Dear Cousin Mimi!

I have been remiss in not speaking with you, my apologies.

I have acquired something, well somethings, that I want you particular advice on.

Can I persuade you to join me? I've got myself a nice little estate on one of the shoreward islands.

I'd be happy to put you up for a time...theres quite a bit to sort through.

You'll have to bring your own attendants, its just me and old Milo here at the moment.

Might be a bit of money involved depending on what you think of what I've found.

Regards,

Cousin Rollo.

ChalkLine

Rogue Conformist
Validated User
"You see," said Guglielmo DeArcino to Giovanni Ferraro, "it's not how much we get paid as an issue, but how much the other side bids for us that maketh a great soldato fortuno. A man must have standards, and should only change sides when your new employer will gain the maximum opportunity from your new service. I prefer to switch side just at the beginning of a battle. This makes my name known in many quarters!"

Walkie Talkie Noise Decoder

There are monkey boys in the facility
Validated User
Zampa had been studying the buildings overlooking the square for sometime, ignoring the crowds as they were of little interest to her, except for perhaps the militia who wandered here and there. Top storey work, breaking and entry, burglary, call it what you will, that was her calling in life.

She'd gained her nickname from her uncanny ability to always land on her feet, either physically or metaphorically speaking. After a childhood growing up on the outskirts of the city, climbing the trees her parents relied on for their bread and olives, she'd accompanied an uncle on his charcoal cart one busy market day and never gone back. Now here she was a paid up member of one of the city's many gangs, an expert climber and picker of locks.

In time she planned to run her own mob, but for the moment was biding her time, enjoying the good life of a full belly, respect from her peers and the buzz of illegal shenanigans...

"Oi Thugnar!"

Turning she called over to her new companion, a fearsome barbarian from somewhere outside her small world. He'd saved her arse several times this week already, was good for a laugh and unlike half the other men of the city hadn't tried it on.

"You see that kid give something to the Signorina over there by the church? Lets go over and see if she's in the need for anything. Time we hit her up for some coin again I reckon..."

O'Borg

Quit.
Validated User
Thugnar glanced at the thin stream and thought about taking a bath. In in his home country frigid lakes and rivers meant bathing was done only when absolutely necessary, but here it was a good way to cool down from the oppressive heat and he was up to three this month already - though after the first one he resolved not to use the strange vial of gooey liquid Maria had encouraged him to use as only now was his hair losing its unnatural softness and shine.
He glanced up at Zampa's call, then across at Maria.
"Huh? Yeah, sure." he looped the strap of his axe over his shoulder and ambled across the square towards the scribe

Validated User
Small, dark haired, loose limbed and with an easily forgettable face, Zampa falls in next to Thugnar.

"I've some business over in the Public gardens later, could do with a hand if you're not busy. There'll be some coin and as much wine as we can drink later. Some fool has messed with two ladies that I Know, busted them up pretty bad. Reckon I'd cut him some new manners and see if he still floats with a dozen or so holes in him" adds the thief conversationally as she walked across the plaza.

Last edited:

DarkMum

Godamn Catwoman
Validated User
Maria studied the note carefully, glanced in the direction the boy had taken, trying to recall which of the Ferromani families used black, white and green as heraldic livery, then considered Cousin Rollo. Not one of Antonio's cronies, as far I know... she thought to herself, and not the one that writes the worst erotic verse known to Ferromaine, the other one with ink-stained fingers by the handwriting...

She lifted a hand in greeting to Zampa and Thugnar, and tucked the neatly folded note in her sleeve. "Well met, and how goes your fortunes?" she asked the pair cheerfully, then looked over the plaza towards Guglielmo added "Aha, even the vinefield Cavaliere is not yet in full bloom, excellent. I may have need of an entourage for a small matter of family business." with a smile.

Validated User
"Good day to you Signorina Colombo" answers Zampa courteously and a tad shyly, before looking to her companion Thugnar "Our fortunes are always in need of improvement my lady."

She leans against the church's cool wall, eyes scanning the crowd for what can only be Guglielmo DeArcino and Giovanni Ferraro.

"An entourage? I hope you're not expecting me to wear a dress..."

Zampa's laugh causes those townsfolk nearby to turn and stare, resulting in a hand dropping to her sword and a scowl to appear on her face.

What youse looking at.

O'Borg

Quit.
Validated User
"Family business?" Thugnar brightened, where he came from that usually meant someone was going to get thumped, or at least marched before the local priest with a dagger pressed discretely against his side. "Congratulations. Who's der lucky man?"

Uqbarian

RPGnet Member
Validated User
"You see," said Guglielmo DeArcino to Giovanni Ferraro, "it's not how much we get paid as an issue, but how much the other side bids for us that maketh a great soldato fortuno. A man must have standards, and should only change sides when your new employer will gain the maximum opportunity from your new service. I prefer to switch side just at the beginning of a battle. This makes my name known in many quarters!"
"I follow your reasoning, though I do not entirely share it. The trick, it seems to me, is how to ensure you change to the side that wins."

Last edited:

ChalkLine

Rogue Conformist
Validated User
"I follow your reasoning, though I do not entirely share it. The trick, it seems to me, is how to ensure you change to the side that wins."
"You are right my friend! Even though a pay master may be personally repugnant, given to vile habits and strict even, it is a bad condottierre that changes to a losing side."

"Hello, what is this? A Northerner it seems."

Top Bottom