• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[FFG Star Wars] Tweaking Space Combat

Deflare

Validated User
In the thread about the state of FFG's Star Wars game, the space combat system was brought up a few times as a weak point--in particular, the fragility of small spaceships, regardless of how heroic the pilots are.

I'm curious if people have more details on their problems, and some ideas for fixes?

If durability is the main complaint, then a few obvious tweaks come to mind. Namely, it's weird to me that shields are applied as a debuff to hit, rather than as something like Armor or a separate HP pool. My thought would be to have a character's Piloting skill act as their Defense (to a maximum of the ship's Handling characteristic, min 0), and shields act as a separate HP pool with pilots, mechanics, or astromechs able to regenerate them. So shielded Rebel ships like X-Wings can take some hits and keep on trucking, while mook spaceships like TIE fighters blow up satisfyingly. Having not played the system, though, I have no idea if this makes much sense or would give the desired results.

Squid

KUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKLA!
Validated User
How's that work, for folks who don't have the generic core?

Zeea

Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think the main issue has always been that unlike PCs, ships don't get a lot more hit points when they're piloted by main characters instead of minions. Just giving them +10 health alone would help somewhat. But I agree that piloting skill really should help more than it does.

Also, angling shields or trying to maneuver around them is a really messy mechanic that's basically just a more complicated version of taking cover or taking an aim action. It's a neat idea but it doesn't really feel right the way it works.

Quantum Bob

Fear and Loathing
RPGnet Member
Validated User
we added Piloting skill straight to the Hull Trauma Threshold. It worked okay-ish, I think we could have even doubled the bonus without the system breaking.

Victim

Validated User
One of the main problems IMO is that the non Gunnery actions don't seem to do a whole lot, nor do most characters necessarily have a lot of variety in what they'll do. If you compare hypothetical ships+parties, one where everyone shoots most of the time, and another one with 2 guns, with people spending a lot of turns on gain advantage, fire discipline, etc a lot, then it basically seems to me like more shoot actions will usually win, even if not everyone is trained in gunnery.

loconius

Validated User
One of the main problems IMO is that the non Gunnery actions don't seem to do a whole lot, nor do most characters necessarily have a lot of variety in what they'll do. If you compare hypothetical ships+parties, one where everyone shoots most of the time, and another one with 2 guns, with people spending a lot of turns on gain advantage, fire discipline, etc a lot, then it basically seems to me like more shoot actions will usually win, even if not everyone is trained in gunnery.
I saw some game where even non combat actions rolled a sort of damage die and reduced HP; I believe it was called Effort dice or something. I would be nice if one of the advantage buys could be a point of damage or strain on the target being taken advantage of.

Zeea

Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oh, another thing I'd fix. Currently, you can fix critical hits easily but hull point damage costs a huge amount of money to repair. I don't think this works well with the system and genre, since it's not really one where you can do anything about being shot occasionally, and I don't think it's fun. I'd suggest dropping hull repair costs entirely and assuming a ship can get about 15 hull points worth of repair per day (like stim packs amount to). Maybe a tiny cost for those repair kits, but make it fast and simple and cheap.

swammeyjoe

Validated User
Making it so you need to "Gain the Advantage" before you can attack a similar sized ship would really add emphasis to piloting skill and up survival rates

Top Bottom