• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Final Fantasy XIV

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
I searched around and couldn't find a thread for this, so here goes.

I downloaded the trial version of Final Fantasy XIV yesterday. It's been a while since I played an MMO with any regularity, but the itch has struck me and I don't really feel like going back to World of Warcraft at the moment. What sets FFXIV apart from other MMOs? What makes it interesting? Where do RPGnetters play?

Balac

Validated User
It's extremely polished with some excellent quality of life bits that make questing smoother than most MMOs. It's also quite slow paced to the point where many will drop it long before the story actually gets interesting.

Overall I'd call it a well made game that does nothing revolutionary but does the traditional MMO tropes quite well. Plus it is very very Final Fantasy so your feelings for that franchise may influence your enjoyment quite a bit.

Nine Quiet Lessons

Witch of Krassovar
Validated User
It's been my new MMO addiction for the last few months. Like Balac said, it does an excellent job of capturing the feel of a Final Fantasy game in an MMO format, which I really appreciate that since it's something not always managed by franchise MMOs. It's got all the classic elements, they feel well-integrated into the lore, and the job system (itself a callback) lets you explore everything a character can do without making you have any alts (a plus if you're a rabid completionist like me).

I think the main story in ARR starts off a bit slow, but it builds in a satisfying way and has a bang-up ending. The post-main-story stuff between the original 2.0 release and the first patch gets a lot of complaints for being slow (apparently there were some delays involved there), I actually liked it because it gave me a feeling of really getting to know the supporting cast. And the ending of that content is one of the most memorable things I can think of in an MMO. Right now, I'm at the end of the first expansion (there are two, soon to be three), and I've found the quality continues to increase. The dungeons and boss fights are mechanically interesting and visually appealing, the story is engaging, and I probably spend more time than is healthy immersed in it. :p

As for where I play, I'm over on Jenova with some friends. Feel free to say hi if you're on; I'm Nine-quiet Lessons there.

tosken

Validated User
There was an RPGNet guild on Faerie, but as far as I know, it collapsed before the first expansion. I've got a Free Company on Gilgamesh that I'm pretty happy with, but it does make sense to go with a server in your Region due to potential latency issues.

In terms of strengths, it's got a well written story, excellent art direction, and a wide variety of systems. There are a good few places where it will warn you that you should set aside time for the upcoming cutscenes, and they're actually worth watching in full. There's also a lot of content, and more so than World of Warcraft, the level sync system and dungeon finder make it possible to access and actually experience most of it.

While you can have multiple characters, the game allows you to use the same character across all classes, and there is a significant experience bonus for any classes that are not your current highest, which is a nice change from how frustrating alts can get in other games.

As a downside, it's slow, especially before level 30-35 depending on class. The global cooldown is 2.5 seconds by default, and while you eventually get a whole lot of other things to do between actions, you'll spend a good part of your first week or so spamming three to eight buttons. There's also five years of story quests to go through, and not all of them are winners. In particular, the 2.1-2.3 main story quests are very fetch heavy. That improves quickly, but it can still be offputting.

While the level sync and dungeon finder systems mean that you'll very seldom be unable to get into content, it can take some time on DPS classes, especially at lower level. Tanks usually queue instantly, while healers seldom have long wait times. Only Conjurer is a starting healing class. Arcanist doesn't get heals until it unlocks the Scholar job at 30, and you have to get a sizable distance into the story to unlock Astrologician.

Current raid content and especially high-level raid content can be very, very hard, even compared to other MMORPG raids. Extreme content eventually becomes a faceroll as gear levels increase, but Ultimate content is intended to remain difficult for very long periods of time.

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
Hey!

I'm a huge FFXIV nut(eagerly awaiting 4.4.) As you can see from my shelf here.
Spoiler: Show

(the books next to the SR book are two art books, one for Eorzea and one for Stormblood. I have more on the way.)

Okay, so all of this is OPINION of course.

What I feel makes FFXIV interesting:

-You can have all classes on 1 character. You don't HAVE to, but if you want to play alt classes, you don't have to level up another character. Unless you want! This is always a nice thing. You can swap whenever depending on mood. All of the classes have their own class stories, too!

-They manage to do the Gray Area stuff well. Any city state you belong to isn't some shining beacon(you can choose to play your character however you like.) This is nice compared to, say, WoW, which forces villain/idiot balls to push plot. (Even the Villainous Empire isn't all bad; like the quote in FFVI 'The Empire may be evil, but not all members of it are.', and I don't want to go into ALL of this here with the city-states since I want to keep clear of spoilers.)

-No factions is nice but that's fairly normal nowadays and not really special to XIV. The closest thing you get is the Grand Company you join and you can swap that.

-Probably the most engaging story in any of the MMOs I played, and some of the most interesting and plain fun villains(some of which made me grin like a happy idiot whenever they were onscreen), but I realize this is highly subjective territory. Just my opinion, again.

-SO MANY loveletters to other FFs, like, everywhere. I mean the Empire is basically lifted nearly whole cloth from FFVI(minus Kefka and such but yeah, really, they even have the dome helmets.) It's got a more ancient Roman theme with the naming conventions and structure-Legati and titles and such, but they are basically, yeah, FFVI's Empire with theme and Magitek and stuff. There are lots lots more than this, of course. But if you love FFs, you'll have LOTS of stuff that makes you smile.

-It's got an RP community that is pretty unreal with how detailed it gets-the last time I saw RP communities anything near this was Star Wars Galaxies. Its nowhere near as open as SWG was, but in the way that there are people who specialize in, say, crafting for their character schtick. There are little blacksmith guilds that set up shop in player housing and everything, for example. Because you only need one 'combat class' to go through the Main Scenario Quests(MSQ) with, you can basically devote yourself to any one of many non combat classes if that is what you prefer. Plus, Bards have a Perform option where it lets them actually jam on songs. You can hear an example here.

Yes, someone figured out Despacito. :p

So people have performance nights and everything. (Bard is a combat class, it just has the ability to do stuff like this.)

-Its community is generally really chill. It of course has some vocal negative nancies, but you find this in any MMO. That said if you stay away from social media outlets and stick in game the community is generally IME quite nice. I made quite a few buddies in it. This is probably standard operating procedure for any MMO these days, though. :p

-Cash shop is forgiving. They do sell level boosts(which like them or not, these almost feel like SOO in MMOs these days, after WoW opened the floodgates-were they the first, I forget?-I'm pretty sure this will happen. You can't boost to max-only 60.)

-Servers that are 'suggested' give you a large XP boost pre-60. Its really nice. Also if you get to 30 on one of these, you get 15 free days of subscription(I'm not sure if you have to already be subscribed, though, I need to check on that.)

[RUMORS RUMORS RUMORS: There is a Blue Mage planned-which we are almost positive of at this point-as well as a possible Mercenary FFVIII-inspired Gunblade class, but the latter we're not as sure about. Same with Dancer. Classes get rumored a lot, though, the only one we're pretty sure about is Blue Mage due to a LOT of hints.]

-If you aren't a rush-rush type, you'll probably always find something to do be it leveling another class, raking in gil from crafting stuff, seeing side quests, collecting pets or whatever.

-Deep Dungeons make for a good level catch-up mechanism for secondary combat classes.

-Pretty cool picks of race and pretty nice character customization. Not the world's best, definitely better than some. Nice glamour/transmog options too(not as open as ESO, more open than WoW in ways save for weapons.)

Now I'll be fair and point out a few POTENTIAL downsides(again, opinion based):

-There is some forced group content. Both four and eight man. There is a burst of it at the beginning, and then sporadically among the MSQ. You CAN get a high level friend to of course boost you through this but it does have to be done to continue with the story. Groups are fairly fast to find(even on DPS it's not horrible-the Old optional raids have nasty queues, but the MSQ stuff is fairly easy to get duty finder groups for.) But if you are VERY anti group content this is worth pointing out as being a thing.

-Some of the older ARR era quests pre-Heavensward expansion didn't age SUPER well. I think they're still pretty fun, and I've done them on several characters actually, but they are definitely 5+ years old(which is actually awhile in MMO years.)

-The most robust and populated RP server, with probably one of the best economies, Balmung, is basically permalocked due to population. If you want to play on Balmung, then be ready to wait for them to announce the server open and then get up at some ungodly hour in the middle of the night to nab a spot. They open it like once every 9 months or so it feels like for five minutes or something. :p (It was open IIRC back in March for a tiny bit?) Mateus is the 2nd best bet if you want an 'RP' server(note-the servers are all unofficial, all the servers are normal types.) THAT said, some Mateus people HAVE gotten a little apprehensive about this, because there was a lot who adopted the server at first and stuck with it, and then a lot of people started going there 'Because Balmung Wasn't Open', and while its not like an open bitter war or anything there is a little of that "Man, come here because you WANT to be a part of the community not because you couldn't get on Pick Number 1."

-On that note, PvP isn't too hardcore, if that's what you want. Its pretty fun, there are several types to choose from(the Feast which is sort of like an arena deal, Frontlines, etc), but it's definitely not the focus.

-Some classes are only available later(for now, this could change in the future.) To play a Machinist, Dark Knight or Astrologian(DPS, Tank, and Healer respectively), you need the Heavensward expansion and actually have a character who reached it(which means a level 60 who completed the entire A Realm Reborn MSQ.) If you want to play a Red Mage or Samurai, you need to be at least level 50 on a class, and have purchased the Stormblood expansion(luckily there is a cheap bundle right now here!)

-While all classes have their class stories, some are amazing(Dark Knight is seen as some of the best writing in the game-remember when you get this, though), while others are womp-womp(Warrior is one long running gag after level 50, pre-50 it was decent. Hildebrand quests do the humor better.) Scholar and Summoner were really good from a historical standpoint. Very YMMV here, though, and again, since you can play ALL the classes on a character, you don't have to worry about missing out!

-Pretty good class balance all told, but if you want to get into serious content there are 'best' picks(like Ninjas being far and wide the best choice of melee DPS, especially now that MCH/BRD is going to bring the piercing debuff.)

--

Anyway hope that sorta spelled it out for you. I love the game and I highly suggest it to anyone looking for a new MMO. It may not BE for everyone but I at least suggest to give it a shot and see how you feel!

I play mostly on Balmung, Mateus, and Sargatanas. Lodestone is down so I can't link my characters atm.

(I hadn't seen the XIV thread in ages on RPGnet, the players seem to come and go from the game, I'm not sure who the constant XIV players are, actually.)

EDIT: Oh yeah, there are 'Data Centers.' You can group up and make cross-realm linkshells WITH people on the same data center. So, Say, Balmung people can be in a linkshell(to chat and such), and group with people from Mateus, Sargatanas, Siren and anyone else on the 'Aether' center, and so on.

Last edited:

DareDaemon

The Daemon who Dares
Validated User
-Some classes are only available later(for now, this could change in the future.) To play a Machinist, Dark Knight or Astrologian(DPS, Tank, and Healer respectively), you need the Heavensward expansion and actually have a character who reached it(which means a level 60 who completed the entire A Realm Reborn MSQ.)
Small correction, you technically only need to level 50 for those three classes, though practically speaking you'll probably be higher level when you reach that point; definitely possible to get there before level 60 though.

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
Small correction, you technically only need to level 50 for those three classes, though practically speaking you'll probably be higher level when you reach that point; definitely possible to get there before level 60 though.
Oh that's right, for some reason, my brain was thinking about the purchased level boost(and purchased MSQ boost.)

(to the OP: essentially if you purchase a level boost/MSQ skip, you get a level 60 for the level boost, and can skip the MSQ for all of ARR or both ARR/HW if you want. You do buy the level boost and the mSQ boost separately. So my brain somehow started equating Level 60 with the Heavensward jobs, even though indeed, you only need to be 50, and own HW and have gotten to Ishgard.)

Last edited:

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Here's a more specific question - how does the Gunslinger class work? Or, more specifically, what's a good class to take as you level to 60 when you can take it? (I think.) Or does it matter especially since as Az says you can be anything.

My real wish is you could play a Rogue starting out at level 1, but I understand that might be a bit too much to implement.

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
Here's a more specific question - how does the Gunslinger class work? Or, more specifically, what's a good class to take as you level to 60 when you can take it? (I think.) Or does it matter especially since as Az says you can be anything.

My real wish is you could play a Rogue starting out at level 1, but I understand that might be a bit too much to implement.
If you want to get used to ranged, I'd suggest good ol' Archer. I don't have a terrible amount of MCH experience(a little bit), but I'll link a guide for you. It utilizes procs basically, and ammunition to boost abilities(its not like, loaded ammo though, you don't need to buy it or anything.)

You CAN get rogue very fast-you can class swap at 10, so if you start in Limsa Lominsa as say an Arcanist or something, immediately upon reaching L10 you can go swap to your Rogue and level pretty easily and just continue from there. You can get to level 10 pretty trivially especially on a preferred server. (There may be another catch but IIRC its treated as any other level 10 class swap.)

Also as said you'll be probably under 60. I had somehow associated 60 with the classes because of the class boost. You can be as low as 50 but unless you buy the MSQ boost you'll PROBABLY be closing in on 53 or so by the time you get to Ishgard(and if you're on a preferred server you may well BE 55-56 by that point if not close to 60.)

Last edited:

tosken

Validated User
Here's a more specific question - how does the Gunslinger class work? Or, more specifically, what's a good class to take as you level to 60 when you can take it?
Machinist unlocks at 50. It's a Dexterity-based class so sharing armor with Archer/Bard or Rogue/Ninja doesn't hurt, but gear is very cheap, the quests throw a lot of it at you, and Tomestones of Poetics effectively give additional free gear.

In terms of playstyle, Machinist is a direct damage ranged class with high mobility and an emphasis on spiked damage. This makes it useful and powerful, but it does make optimal opening rotations very complication. At high levels, it also adds a stationary turret and some limited buff abilities.
Rogue is in a weird place, because it was released before the first expansion. You can't start the game as one, but you can swap to it as soon as you unlock alt jobs. Since you can make level 10 in a couple hours, it's pretty easy to switch directly to it.

Top Bottom