Final Fantasy XIV

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oh, sure, but I was just looking forward to being part of the inital conversations, reactions, and speculation. By the time I get around to finishing it, you guys will have been past that for nearly two weeks.

Icarium

Validated User
Honestly? While I am looking forward to the MSQ and how we get into ShB stuff, what I'm looking forward most is the Hildibrand trial. ;) I wanna see if this time he falls through a mysterious portal or something. :)

Icarium

Validated User
Spolier-free of 4.56 MSQ: Eh. I liked part of it, but it really wasn't ... enough? The stinger at the end was cool with the Ascians foo, but it just didn't reveal enough. It'd have been better before Fanfest, honestly.

Real gem is Hildibrand, as usual. :)

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
SO it's fairly short and sweet:

Spoiler: Show
Was nice to see the Ishgardian Crew save your ass. I kept saying 'Man Elidibus, Zenos would be cheering me on right now for fighting well. Get out of his body and gimme my rival back.' :p I also like how they usually refer to him as 'Zenos' rather than by his full name(they did once but I think they may have just been a mis-print.) It's like the game's way of saying 'he's being piloted by a weird shadow mans.'

That said, the stinger was great, and I'm pretty sure Elidibus is going to have to find a new body to pilot since he's gonna be ejected pretty soon. :D I like how it hints that Zenos is basically going to throw on Empire gear, get back into the Empire and strangle Elidibus out of his own body. I have a feeling the 'what is rightfully mine' could mean either his body, or...the Empire, since it's basically owned by Ascians right now and not Garleans-that said it's sort of weird since they tell you more than once, plus in lore, Zenos doesn't give a shit about Imperial doctrine, politics, or anything else. We actually think he's most likely just going to go murder his Ascian family and then just toss the crown into the crowd like 'yeah have fun, fite time.'

After seeing the loose translation of the youth story about him(i should be getting my English book today or tomorrow, I'll post the art from it)I kind of hope he gets to kick the shit out of his family to be fair, villain or not the dude has been nothing but an experiment and a tool for them. Given that Yoshida confirmed another reason Zenos is their Dissidia NT pick is that he plays a role in '5.0 and Beyond', and since we're on the First I almost wonder if he's going to go wreck some shit in the Empire while we're gone. Good for us. If anything people who know the inner workings will have an easier time disrupting everything.

And I'm convinced at this point Varis has like some sort of weirdness going on. Why would he need to hide his crazy around ASCIANS? Like Solus it batshit waddledo, why would Varis have to fake the crazy around them? Something is weird. I hope Maxima stays okay. He's cool.

I actually imagined it would be much more like, 'fffffuuuuuck!' Maybe that's ShB's opening.

I agree it would have been fine before fanfest. There was nothing there that was terribly like uber-spoilery that we haven't seen in other places, I don't think.

Bonus: Go talk to Unukalhai after the MSQ. :) It's small, but cool.
I suspect he means 'Balance' in a 'At any cost' way, rather than, as he said, 'Harmonius' way. I think he's going to be involved a bit in 5.0 and beyond.

Icarium

Validated User
Hildibrand:

Heh. I did not guess that Jim was Greg. That was hilarious how he GILGMASHED. Me: ... wat? :)

Called it on the portal. Hildi will show up on the first thanks to Greg.

And YES. Finally got that damn ending dance. :)

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
Hilidi is always a delight. I wonder how he's going to tag along with us, actually.

Also, I thought of something re: Ascian(or Echo) bodyjumping.

So I was under the impression that Echo-like bodyjumping caused you to take on the voice of the person you were jumping. Like what happened with Lahabrea/Thancred(IIRC; Thancred had his old ARR voice in that body but I might be misremembering, Elidibus/Zenos, and who I very much likely think is Solus/Varis.

So why does Elezenos have Zenos' voice, too? Can a body-jumper choose to change it? It's a small thing but it's something I noticed.

Also I love the point that several of us(my twitter circles which involve people more lore-nerdy than me somehow):

"My enemy, my friend, I have arrived too late."

At first we were like 'Man he's itching for a rematch, of course.' But then it occurred to us. Since Echo-people have the ability to kill Big Bad Ascians as said..he's one of the very, very few people who can do it(especially with his level.) There are a few people who have some Echo around, at least.

He wasn't implying he arrived too late for a rematch.

He was implying he arrived too late to murder Elidibus. After we pieced together all of that, his other comments and the taking back what was his we essentially put that together. Gaius can hunt Ascians, but he doesn't have the ability to kill the big bads. Zenos does, and he's got the power to boot.

As one of my friends joked:

WoLD: WELL that trip to the First was something. Sin-Eaters, what a thing. So How goes the Empire front?
Friends: War's over.
WoLD: ...How?
Friends: Zenos just sorta murdered the entire Empire from the inside apparently.
WoLD: *George Costanza voice, raised eyebrow and head nod* ...huh. *walks back to the Rising Stones*

Yeah, bring on ShB. I'm freakin' excited.

Also, credit to a particular voice actor:

Luke-Allen Gale(Zenos' ENG voice actor) actually does really well. He manages to subtly change his tone depending on which 'version' he's voicing. His Elidinos voice is much more...'empty/weird' sounding than his Real!Zenos voice, which sounds much more 'rich'.

It's pretty impressive given that this is literally the first time the guy did full-on voice acting besides a minor role in a Ghibli movie. He was a theater actor at first and has been in some other things, so he's got acting experience at least. I'm sure the theater probably helped him here. He apparently enjoyed the work he's done with him a lot, and it's one of those cases of 'Brutal character/exceptionally friendly, good natured and good-hearted actor' as well.

Last edited:

Dragonmaster_Crono

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, I agree that this patch would have worked better before the last fanfest, but it was decent even if lacking the major emotional hits from the ends of prior expansions. I'm expecting some serious emotional and spiritual struggles once we begin Shadowbringers proper. I'm curious what's going on with Varis, and how much we'll be dealing with the Empire in 5.0 Honestly I'd rpefer to spend most or all of our time in the First.

Icarium

Validated User
My guesses:

#1: Varis is possessed by Solus with all those comments about how he can't sense Solus.

#2: The focus of the entirety of the main story will be First. Then for ALL of ShB's patches, it will be Garlemald.

Top Bottom