• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Final Fantasy XIV

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Contrary to expectations, not every Viera is a Dancer. Some of them are Gunblades. (The two Viera genders?)
Hey, I'm currently Scholar! ... and Paladin too, since that's what I have at 70, but I'm just kinda... holding off and trying to level Scholar rather than jumping into brand new content as a tank.

I did almost resist the urge to glamour into viera, though, despite picking up the game in the first place because of a dumb oath I made to play when viera were an option. They're so... pretty, whereas xaela let me get an appearance that was much more in line with my 'good-natured-but-violent dumbass who hunts gods for fun' interpretation of the WoL.

PilgrimLazy

Spelunking Plato's cave
Validated User
Hotfix notes: Game would crash without explanation. Game now crashes, but for other unexplained reasons. (Dammit, my queue had just popped, too.)

It's appropriate I just got the Fat black Chocobo mount, cause without the speed boost, I feel sllllooowwwwww... (The dictionary recommends "chocoholic" for "Chocobo"...)

Feo Ul is my new favorite NPC.

Finally got a 3-line bonus from Wondrous Tails! Pity you can't get gear from Gold certificates anymore, though. Did SE intentionally try to crash the materia market, or was that an unintended consequence? Giving everyone getting free materia from dailies off the bat was a bad idea.

Wonder why there's no zone chat. Everyone just shouts, instead, which is the same thing, just inconvenient.

I wish they'd update FC rewards with something level-appropriate. Survival Manuals only last 3 nodes now. Fortunately, I have 30+ items to trade in. Can't figure out how to get promoted, though. The rewards section has a "Captain" rank, but the NPC says there are no more ranks available past 1st Lt. (my current rank).

If you need a break from the depressing storyline, I suggest fighting some Gremlin Shouters:

EDIT: I realised why this world is so depressed! There are no Lalafell!
*draws up plans for travelling head-pat therapy group*

Last edited:

Shade the Lost

Validated User
So, I've been working on catching up on stuff I ought to have finished before the expansion launched, and I'm making progress! I've also gotten White Mage to 71 already simply from roulettes. Keep this up (roulettes for challenge logs) on white mage, and start questing as paladin, and I should have a pair of jobs that'll be cornerstones of good groups and short queues.

Icarium

Validated User
Spoilers till the end of the ShB story (at least before upcoming patches):

Spoiler: Show
I didn't think Ascian Boy was lying about the broad strokes, just the details. I get the feeling that the summoning of Hydyaelyn wasn't an irrational thing, either. I mean, each time Zodiark does his 'miracles' he eats /half their population/. I can just see someone foreseeing something like that and noping out (The fourteenth member) and then summoning her once they do it once, going: this has to stop.

They might have sensed another hand at work too, maybe. SOMETHING likely caused the initial destruction that needed the summoning of Zodiark to fix. In FF Lore, there is often something behind the curtain as it were.

I liked how they dealt with the core Ascian belief. They are tragic. You can be sympathetic to their plight. And yet they are utterly villains. They aren't fighting for balance, or for a good cause. They want to destroy everyone (whom they think of as inferior beings who are like animals) in order to release their god and restore their people.

I like how the mythology this time is a mixture of Christianity and some Eastern influences (with a rather obvious nod to Utopia). The Ascians themselves feel like they draw on Angel and Nephilim lore with their size in their city, and their fall, and so on. The Sin Eaters obviously have Christian mythos connotations, and so on. The multisoul thing is fascinating and reminds me of touches of Egyptian and Buddhist things, though in the latter case I could be wrong as I'm not incredibly knowledgeable on that.

I didn't like the handwave about the WoL soul being fixed. I think it would have been stronger if Ardbert had done it by merging with you, kind of like how Minfilia gave up her aether to Ryne. Kind of soul merger thing to be strong enough to hold and use the Light Warden aether. It's implied they did temporarily, but from Minfilia and Ryne, this doesn't seem to be a thing that is temporary usually.

I still want a POV from the 14th Member and Hydylaen, though.

And onto the Royal Palace. Interesting that Zenos got the black screen we got after killing the Pope in HW. Wonder what that's signifying in lore, if anything. Hope Gaius survived, and that's not something I would have said till now. :)

Looks like Elibidus is gonna send other WoL after us. Probably trick them.

Also, wasn't there supposed to be nine dungeons? I can only find 8.

Last edited:

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
Well damn, that was awesome. Long bit:

I totally agree about the 'Power behind the Power' thing likely happening. And...when I think about it, I kinda think everyone's better off without EITHER Of them.

Good or not, Hydaelyn's ability is to basically-split things when she touches them. Which is how she beat Zodiark. And in the process-well, did end up killing a ton of people. If for some reason that were to happen AGAIN, shit wouldn't be good is what I'm saying. I don't think its done out of EVULL I think it's like 'its a primal with the ability to split anything, including worlds, at a touch.' Now the first Amaurotines probably didn't know this, of course-they just Summoned Something.

They're sort of reverse, kinda-Zodiark eats half the population on a summoning, Hydaelyn splits it apart. Neither should be used willy-nilly, I imagine.

But I agree, they did a great job making the Ascians both villains, but more interesting, and yes, even sympathetic finally. When you see Amaurot getting destroyed, the giant chill dudes all dying and everything, probably just because of Some Outer Force, you can't help but feel bad for people who say 'look, half of us are willing to sacrifice ourselves to save the other half.' I honestly didn't think the 'villain' trait truly started until they saw what Rejoining did and kept doing it. Even Alisaie-whose generally like, extremely morally upstanding, said that she'd not know what she'd have done, and Ardbert saying how lonliness and solitude can break someone.

I kinda like how Emet-Selch and Zenos are opposing in most ways-yet similar in a couple. Emet-Selch is totally more behind the scenes, not striking until he thinks the time is right, more cerebral, with much bigger plans. Zenos is the up front fighter guy who is literally looking for someone strong enough to beat him(he WANTS to be defeated, unlike most villains), and only cares about that which makes him feel something. Anything.

Yet they both are sort of 'friendly enemies' mostly(Zenos a bit more so, to you, anyway, Emet drops that fascade for awhile but goes back to it for the end part), and they both have the extreme lonliness and solitude thing going, though to be fair Emet's seemed to be a bit more uhh...universe destroying. Zenos' mostly focuses on getting back to the WoL and in the process he seems to have ended the Black Rose problem. :p

I actually thought that Vauthry being Innocence made sense, given he was...kinda innocent when he was born. He ended up half Sin Eater because his parents made a deal with the devil, in a way. Kinda suiting, I think. Also I totally called he being tied to Innocence and that Meol was Soylent Green. :p

Ran'jit, I admit, didn't really come off as the threat that Zenos was(not that I think they were trying.) He looked cool, but he was more a standard 'Classic JRPG Dragon to a Big Bad' guy. He usually ended up getting thwarted, the one fight that felt like FFIV(where you got shocked with the random bolt of lightning from his dragon thing), the Exarch just kinda acted like he wasn't really hot shit afterward, and even Thancred fought him to a draw and he's quite behind the WoL in power(even if he is very powerful). I wasn't really quite sure what they were trying to do with this guy?

As for Garlemald:

Well THAT was something. In an ironic twist perhaps in the vein of 'We did it Patrick, we saved Eorzea!', its unlikely savior is...our rival, who killed the source of the Black Rose(and has no interest in Empire matters so hell, Maxima could waltz in after the dust clears and declare it a democracy, there's no more living heirs, and I'm not sure what happens if the heir apparent refuses the throne).

Now wanting to, with us, uhh, EAT Zodiark and Hydaelyn I guess, and then fight...that...well hell maybe that's how we get rid of both entities. That would be pretty damn epic. And I am SO glad I wasn't the only person who caught the tie-in to us with Thordan(it turned out some more people saw it, too...) I'm almost wondering if Zenos is another piece of Ancient Dude at this point.

(on that note, btw-did Thancred get a bunch of Lahabrea's knowledge like that? I don't remember-remembering he was bodyjacked too.)

On Gaius: I think he lives. I don't think they'd do that cut in a shocking way-I mean Zenos is powerful enough to get one of the Paragons of the Source to literally run away rather than fight him(and while the WoL could defeat him, remember, he had no White Auracite or anything, so I don't know if Resonance can do something there?), but I also think due to that he'd probably just end up swatting Gaius aside like 'dude, wtf are you trying.'

Estinien looked awfully blasé there, but that said, he's probably used to various family-cides-he was there when Aymeric sentenced his dad to die and asked the WoL to do it-he'd have done it himself had the Primal thing not happened-and when Hraes helped kill his brood-brother. It's Tuesday for him. :D If anything I hope he decides Gaius doesn't look too sympathetic toward the Empire; I don't think Gaius has much of a chance against him(Estinien, remember, could stand up to Elidibus. He's a scary, scary dude.) I reckon Gaius' actions stemmed more from maybe being past friends with Varis, and maybe hoping to be able to parley/talk him down with no Ascians around, not being sure if Varis had truly lost it or not(and...actually that remains unanswered. Varis did mention about Emet Selch's 'influence'....but he also didn't call off the production of Black Rose, so I wonder if it's going to remain a mystery.)

Side Bits:

I actually like how they managed to make a timey-wimey story mostly make sense. They did it with Chrono Trigger, but they manage to fairly well tie this up in terms of the cause and effect things. Zenos probably wouldn't have made it back to the capital in time before the Black Rose would get deployed(Emet-Selch would have probably stayed behind and hastened its use), and no WoL on the first meant it would all go to shit. (Granted, it felt like Zenos got to the capital perfectly quickly, so I guess it would have gotten deployed VERY soon after.)

The big 'made of handwavium' part is the whole 'time moves random amounts for random people' thing. Like how long will things pass while we're trying to figure out how to send the rest back?

Also cool how there are little mix-ups from the First. Il Mheg=Coerthas for example, and the old Elven kingdom was more German based name wise then the French elves of Ishgard. The Tempest being the secret zone being underground is the opposite of Azys Lla being the secret zone being floating.

So apparently ShB takes us 'about 80%' through this story...which means there's still a bit to go. I wonder if that'll get wrapped up in 6.0? Now I get to do Crafting(Savage) and enjoy seeing side stuff and everything before 5.1 drops(presumably mid October, if their schedule keeps. In Stormblood, it launched June 20, we got 4.1 on Oct. 10th, 4.2 on Jan 29th, 4.3 on May 21, 4.4 on Sept. 18th.) So they have been pretty solid with their 3-4 months in between. 5.1 will be the Ishgard restoration IIRC, the first Ultimate battle, the first part of YorHa as well, and I definitely want to get my crafting sorted before Ishgard, and I'll be gone for a month (going out from Sept. 12 to Oct 10), so I have to put a little elbow grease into that part.

Icarium

Validated User
More Comments on ShB Story Up to End:
One thing I liked is from the dungeon talk and one or two other things, the implication is a lot of the issues with the "End of the World" were the Ascian/Paragons' own fault. Or at least, cause.

I mean, something probably did trigger it. But he kept commenting about how their powers were going haywire due to stress, as well.

I think what happened is something provided a "spark". And the paranoia and fear had the Paragons literally will their own doom into existence, growing exponentially as more and more people got drawn in and became afraid.

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
You know with their whole thing:

They were a race that could...make something out of nothing. The place SORTA kinda felt a bit like Zeal, in a way? Like maybe a bit of a shout-out. Less asshats-the Amaurotines really didn't strike me as malicious? A little patronizing at times but they didn't strike me as like bwahaha types, Zeal had some assholes running around it.

It could have been yeah, that-a 'spark' caused something, and the more who worried, the more Bad Stuff came into creation since that's what they do; they create things from nothing. More worry caused more, and bigger bad stuff and it was a giant spiral down from there. It's interesting too how like, for being giants who could create from nothing-they didn't seem to try to fight back?

Now what caused the spark, I think is the question. One of them tried something they didn't have control over? Something behind the scenes? that's what I'm curious about. But that power seems far more like a curse when you think about it like that.

Icarium

Validated User
More Discussion Post-ShB, Pre-Patches:
My guess? Something from the Darkness. I mean, if you look at what creatures were being called, the Terminus adds, unless Emet made those up post as examples? You see those coming from the World of Darkness. And there /was/ a Cloud of Darkness type thing before the shard imploded if I recall right, it came from 'outside'.

Seems to be that there are critters of Light and Darkness unrelated to Hydylaen and Zodiark in some between place. Maybe something wanted in, and triggered the calamity.

And as for them not doing much, I think that's purposeful. They were quite literally minor gods, able to create anything they needed. They didn't know stress really, or conflict. Even outside the city, they still had this huge resevoir of aether and probably could create any necessity. They had no need for real drive. They were basically children in a way. (Which would piss off Emet if you said that to him.)

They didn't know /how/ to deal with conflict and problems at that time.

DareDaemon

The Daemon who Dares
Validated User
I suspect that whoever summoned Hydaelyn saw that Zodiark was not a lasting solution, it didn't solve the underlying problem. That is, the power of Creation. It was a bandaid, that would need more souls to fix the problem next time. The only lasting solution would be to eliminate or at least weaken the power of Creation to a point where stuff like happened back then couldn't happen again. And thus, the sundering.

Also edited to add, on the nature of some namings.

The Ascian original world stuff draws heavily on Thomas More's Utopia, both in its naming and the general structure of its society. Down to the name, Amaurot was the name of Utopia's capital city.

Last edited:

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Still catching up on the story -- I haven't been posting here because I've been so caught up in playing the game, but I've also gotten distracted by running sidequests, doing FATE chains (I've gotten the achievement ones in Il Mheg and Rak'tika), doing Clan Nutsy hunts, and trying to start in on crafting. (It's a little frustrating since I didn't really get geared up at the end of Stormblood -- I now have a full Handking armor set, but I keep seeing people posting these 'totally easy' crafting macros for leveling, and they all require gear well above what I've got. Special envy goes to the guy who said, 'Yeah, all I had was a pentamelded Onishi set, and that was good enough to get me to max level!')

I'm nearing the end of Rak'tika now, and still loving the story. I've also turned off mount music for the first time just because I want to hear the zone music more -- Il Mheg was good, and Rak'tika joins the Azim Steppe in the category of 'songs I could listen to all day.'

I was a little disappointed at the pretty cursory explanations for two bits from the trailers -- why Y'shtola is being called Master Matoya, and what was happening with the burning forest around her -- but that's about the only thing I'm not thrilled by. I wasn't particularly fooled by Y'shtola's apparent sacrifice, and when Ran'jit followed her I was very certain they were both going to survive (we haven't had a nearly satisfactory conclusion with him yet), but I didn't expect it to be resolved so quickly -- or by Emet-Selch of all people. It's fascinating the way he's tagging along as the token snarky and amused evil teammate, and I've been enjoying getting extra information by talking to him when he's just standing around in the world. Apparently two Ascians were killed in the Flood of Light, which makes sense, and also underscores his statement that they're running a bit low on personnel. Though I'm a little frustrated at the whole 'Oh, if you knew what I know, you'd totally agree with me, but I'm not just going to tell you what I know, just keep on being snide about how foolish you are' thing the Ascians have going. I fully expect that'll mostly be cleared up by the end of the expansion, though...

Il Mheg was great fun, even if the pixies could be somewhat trying at times. And I was looking at Feo Ul's 'oh, I will totally take up the burden of being the awesome leader, no need to thank me for my sacrifice' routine with a bit of a jaundiced eye, but it worked out well enough, so I'm not going to complain. The scene of the united faerie tribes fighting off the Eulmore army with pranks and tricks was pretty amazing, even if it underscored how amoral and creepy they are underneath. (All those leafmen...)

So far I'm liking the new Minfilia, though she reminds me a bit of Lyse's arc from Stormblood -- a young woman with a great legacy to uphold, trying to find her way -- but they're not too similar in detail, and I'm not at all sure where she's going to end up. I don't think we're going to have her sacrifice her life to bring the old Minfilia back, but I can't be sure... And even if she doesn't, I don't know how she's going to take up the challenge before her specifically.

And, of course, we've now overheard Y'sthola berating Urianger about his secrecy -- and gotten confirmation that absorbing the Lightwardens' power is doing something not so good to our hero, with possible dire consequences. And she's even suspicious that he didn't see that vision of the Eighth Umbral Calamity at all. I'm curious as to how both of those threads are going to be resolved... Urianger's always been the secretive type, and willing to use deception for the greater good (q.v. the original Warriors of Darkness storyline), but what end would lying about this be towards? Hard to say... I wonder if it might be tied up with the whole 'astral darkness/umbral light' discussion from back at his house, which I'm still not sure what to make of.

Top Bottom