• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Final Fantasy XIV

Icarium

Validated User
Response to Above Il Mheg/Greatwood Stuff:
Spoiler: Show
I love, love, love Feo Ul. They're wonderful. When they were talking before the fight, I was like: If they die, I will hunt down Yoshi and MURDER HIM. :)

And yeah, I knew Y'shtola wasn't dead. Not just due to her being, y'know, the face of the game, but because when she fell there was that gust of wind. I knew it had to represent /something/.

Unseenlibrarian

Definitely NOT a Monkey.
Validated User
So, the first post story dungeon...

Explains a good bit about things and also why the item that summons us to the first is Ironworks branded. Also...weaponized teakettles.

Icarium

Validated User
Thoughts on ShB and Lore:
One interesting thing. Those with the Echo gained it during a meteor shower.

When we're in the last dungeon, we see a huge meteor shower falling down on the Source pre-split.

It's pretty obvious to me that they're hinting that everyone with the Echo have souls of the original people, like Ascians, and the meteor shower 'awakened' it by triggering a past life memory.

Or that's my theory.

Tanka

We See You
Staff member
Validated User
So, the first post story dungeon...

Explains a good bit about things and also why the item that summons us to the first is Ironworks branded. Also...weaponized teakettles.
That dungeon is fantastic. I am super excited to learn more about all of... that.

Dragonmaster_Crono

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I made it to the end... Damn, that was wonderful. Probably one of the best RPG's of all time, easily the best MMO expansion. Some thoughts:

Il Mheg
I liked the varies of Fae, they felt different from each other while seeming truly alien as well. Titania was a pain in the ass to fight, doing the Ex version will be ...interesting.

Rak Tika
The music was amazing, the rest was very good too. The plot was interesting, I knew Yshtola would be ok, but having Emet-Selch save her was unexpected.

Kolusia/Am Areng part 2
I felt like the repairing the rail line story went on a bit too long initially, but it paid off later when we got the giant golem. I admit I was worried about Thancred dying after the solo fight with Ran'jit, I'm glad he survived, and I'm glad Ryne got to be her own person. Also Eulmore, Vauthry and Meol were even worse than expected. Which is impressive given I was expecting cannibalism.

End game
That lore was intense, as was the final fight. Yeah the Asicans are finally sympathetic with that reveal, but they're still evil and honestly their focus on the Rejoining blinds them to finding any other solutions. Emet-Selch reminds me of Thanos that way, honestly.
I want to talk to Zodiark and Hydaelyn in person even more now. Getting these answers has given us more questions.

I suspect that whoever summoned Hydaelyn saw that Zodiark was not a lasting solution, it didn't solve the underlying problem. That is, the power of Creation. It was a bandaid, that would need more souls to fix the problem next time. The only lasting solution would be to eliminate or at least weaken the power of Creation to a point where stuff like happened back then couldn't happen again. And thus, the sundering.

Also edited to add, on the nature of some namings.

The Ascian original world stuff draws heavily on Thomas More's Utopia, both in its naming and the general structure of its society. Down to the name, Amaurot was the name of Utopia's capital city.

Yeah, they lost control of their power after some entity entered the world, which the Rejoining wont actually fix, even if it somehow worked otherwise.

Tanka

We See You
Staff member
Validated User
Kolusia/Am Areng part 2
I felt like the repairing the rail line story went on a bit too long initially, but it paid off later when we got the giant golem. I admit I was worried about Thancred dying after the solo fight with Ran'jit, I'm glad he survived, and I'm glad Ryne got to be her own person. Also Eulmore, Vauthry and Meol were even worse than expected. Which is impressive given I was expecting cannibalism.
Well, technically...

It was pointed out that nobody ever leaves Eulmore, and we know that Sin Eaters infect a person with a seed of Light that eventually turns them into a Sin Eater. And Meol is made from Sin Eaters, so...

Yeah. Vile, foul stuff.

Icarium

Validated User
On Eulmore Stuff:
We actually see this at one point during the MSQ the first time we go there, though we don't get the creepy details till later. Remember the bit with the woman who can't sing, and her owner all cult-like says she can ascend?

Pretty sure "Ascending" Is being turned into a Sin Eater. People think it's some wonderful thing, but they're just turned into Meol, most likely.

DareDaemon

The Daemon who Dares
Validated User
On Eulmore Stuff:
We actually see this at one point during the MSQ the first time we go there, though we don't get the creepy details till later. Remember the bit with the woman who can't sing, and her owner all cult-like says she can ascend?

Pretty sure "Ascending" Is being turned into a Sin Eater. People think it's some wonderful thing, but they're just turned into Meol, most likely.
Mid-level 79 spoiler

Pretty sure we see her again. The final boss of the level 79 dungeon has a musical theme to all her attacks.

FortMan

Viva Romanesco!
Validated User
Mid-level 79 spoiler

Pretty sure we see her again. The final boss of the level 79 dungeon has a musical theme to all her attacks.
Eulmore spoiler:
The dungeon boss has been with Vaulthry for some time, though. You did see her next to him the first we met him. Since it's like at most 2-3 days since the singer "ascended", I don't think she'd be able to gain his favor that fast.
The singer might be one of the succubus-looking eater, however.

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I finally finished the MSQ last night. And I am utterly blown away. The best story arc of FFXIV so far, and standing very favorably compared to a whole lot of single-player games I've played. Random thoughts below, spoiling through the end of the main story and the two post-story dungeons.

I think my top two characters of the expansion were Ardbert and Feo Ul, neither of which I would expected beforehand. Ardbert got so much humanization over the course of the story -- you could really feel the desperation for human contact when he finally gets to talk with your character after a hundred years of solitude, and the discussions he has about his past, his adventures, his friends, the things he thinks he did wrong, and his gradual coming around to what he needs to do... He felt like my character's friend, in a way that none of the other companions from other expansions ever really did. And as for Feo Ul -- when they were introduced in the beginning, they seemed like just another part of 'here are our excuses why the various game mechanics still work for you in the First; don't think about it too much.' And I wasn't thrilled by the voice, which reminded me of nothing so much as Monty Python's Pepperpots -- a man doing a falsetto to play a woman. I presumed they'd have little to no relevance to the story going forward. How wrong I was. I think one of my favorite parts of the story was during the golem attack on Mount Gulg, when they flew in with Il Mheg's fairies in tow, lamenting about how cold and cruel and heartless their adorable sapling was, not calling them in earlier! There was just something about their attitude that was endlessly endearing even as it was endlessly temperamental.

Second tier of characters would probably be Ryne and Emet-Selch. Ryne had a nice hero's journey over the course of the expansion, struggling with Minfilia's legacy and her own complicated feelings for Thancred. (Though I did groan many times at Thancred refusing to actually talk to her about how he felt, and instead just leaving her to stew in feeling like she was hated and unwanted, and almost ready to sacrifice herself to bring Minfilia back. I know he had a lot of his own inner turmoil going on, but still, he could've stepped up a bit more.) Emet-Selch was a very personable enemy, and one you could really understand and feel sympathy for, even if his ultimate goals were still evil. He far outdid any of the previous expansion main villains for me -- Gaius and Lahabrea were pretty underdeveloped at the time, Nidhogg was basically a natural disaster fixated on revenge and causing suffering, and Zenos was a delusional monomaniac who just wanted to fight things and projected his own mindset on my character. Emet-Selch is really a sterling example of the idea that the villain should think that he's the hero -- some of his lines during the final fight ('I shall bear every hope, every dream, every prayer!' 'What will become of our triumphs, our hopes, our despair? I will not let it be for naught!') would sound perfectly natural coming from one of the Scions. And perhaps because of it, Hades was my favorite boss battle yet (with the perfect explanation for why we're not soloing it, to boot!)

I loved the Mt. Gulg sequence in general -- I'm a sucker for 'everyone the heroes have helped pulls together to help them' plots, and this delivered in spades. Dulia-Chai and Chai-Nuzz were excellent little supporting characters, with Dulia's overflowing heart and compassion playing off Nuzz's reluctant engineer who can't help but get caught up in his ideas.

I was a little underwhelmed when I first got to the Tempest. I'd been building it up in my mind due to the fact that it was deliberately kept such a secret, and having it just be the sea floor didn't seem like a big enough payoff. It was okay, and I liked getting to know the Ondo, but there was still a very serious 'is that all?' element to it. I'd been thinking that the final zone might be, oh, the white wastelands beyond the wall of Light, or maybe some zone where the First was collapsing back into the Source and elements of both were mixing. This seemed like a letdown in comparison.

Then I got to Amaurot.

All concerns about the zone immediately vanished. That was the most breathtaking, most amazing area I've been to in FFXIV yet. Learning of the ways of the people the Ascians came from, seeing the good and the bad in them, and understanding why Emet-Selch so desperately wanted to reclaim those days... (I admit, the society there would be extremely tempting to me.) And it fit so well thematically, too. Emet-Selch recreated the city because he's always been living in the past...

The big reveal on the whole nature of the world's history made perfect sense and added a huge layer of depth and meaning to the entire story. I still need to absorb it a bit more, but the very concept of the fragmentation of the worlds became so much more cohesive now that we know how it happened and what was lost. And the idea of the original Amaurotines and the others of their world being fragmented across the resulting worlds, and the shards retaining such ties to each other... It's such a rich idea with so many possibilities. I want to see more of their world, maybe some meetings of the Council that became the Ascians -- and definitely more on the dissenter who seems to have become our character and Ardbert, among others.

On the topic of wanting to know more, I keep on feeling curious about the First beyond what survived. Geographically, it was once near-identical to the Source, so they would have had their own versions of Ilsabard, Othard, Meracydia, the New World, Thavnair, and all the other regions -- each of which would presumably be very different from the Source civilizations on those continents. I know it wouldn't have much relevance to the game as it stands, but I still find myself wanting to know what was lost.

On a lighter note, I was working on the post-story dungeons last night, made it to Quetzalcoatl, got him to about 1%... and then my Internet died, and stayed down until I had to go to bed. I hope the party managed to defeat him -- it seems pretty likely, but I was tanking. Very frustrating.

Top Bottom