• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Final Fantasy XIV

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Welcome to the game! There are settings where you can turn down the visual effects for abilities -- somewhere in the character option or system option menus, I believe. And you can set them to different levels for your own abilities, your party members' abilities, and the abilities from random people out in the world.

I personally would rank the story of A Realm Reborn (everything up to level 50) as 'good for an MMO.' Not great, certainly not the deepest out there, and hampered a bit by the fairly standard quest structure, but still enjoyable. Heavensward (50-60) improves on that, getting up to 'great for an MMO, pretty good for a video game in general' territory. Stormblood (60-70) I like a little better than Heavensward, but others have seen it as a step backwards, so opinions vary. But Shadowbringers (70-80) blows all of them out of the water -- it's not just great for an MMO or great for a video game, but a great story period, told very, very well. So if you're enjoying the story at least a bit so far, you're likely to have a lot to look forward to.

I'm a very new recruit to the game myself, having started late last year, but I've enjoyed it enough to stay long term. Hopefully it'll grab you the way it grabbed me! (And the same to verdantgreen verdantgreen -- welcome to the game, too!)

If either of you are on Faerie or Balmung (or their respective data centers), I'll probably be frequently available for help if you need it -- and there are plenty of other people here on other servers. (You know, it occurs to me that with the popularity of the game continuing to rise, it might be good to get a list of characters out there so we can actually reach out to each other if we're in the mood...)

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
Data centre "Light", Europe.

Edited to add: Is there any point in levelling up crafting, at least until one reaches parts of the game where levelling up isn't as rapid? I've never filled a single materia slot in my items, for instance, nor felt any need to. I thought that making some healing potions would be handy to keep a supply up, but they don't seem to show up at least at low levels.

Last edited:

Icarium

Validated User
Crafting is fun for some, and can be useful at endgame or gearing up alts. It's never necessary, though.

As for Materia, it's mostly used again, at endgame. I mean, I use it earlier, but I have a ton of materia from leveling alts and things.

You don't need to craft to bond materia. There's a materia melder who will do it in each of the cities' markets It won't overmeld, but unless you're doing endgame stuff, that's not a major thing.

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
Crafting is not only fun once you get the hang of it, it's THE moneymaker in the game.

Example: I'm max level, mind you, but over the course of about two days I made about six million gil and I was lazy about it. Low level crafters have lots of things they can sell to keep their pockets padded, if you mess with the market board stuff. All that said: it's definitely not necessary, but I enjoy it. It's one of the few MMOs where I've actively enjoyed it overall.

And welcome, guys!

I personally would rank the story of A Realm Reborn (everything up to level 50) as 'good for an MMO.' Not great, certainly not the deepest out there, and hampered a bit by the fairly standard quest structure, but still enjoyable. Heavensward (50-60) improves on that, getting up to 'great for an MMO, pretty good for a video game in general' territory. Stormblood (60-70) I like a little better than Heavensward, but others have seen it as a step backwards, so opinions vary. But Shadowbringers (70-80) blows all of them out of the water -- it's not just great for an MMO or great for a video game, but a great story period, told very, very well. So if you're enjoying the story at least a bit so far, you're likely to have a lot to look forward to.
Re: Stormblood-It's funny with this, since generally speaking, if you look at the game's ratings-both critical AND player-wise-it's well rated! Both critics and players put the expac in the 80s, it sold incredibly well, and importantly: Gained and retained players. Poor expacs don't do that(see: WoW, and you can see in the playerbase where it rose and fell, when people considered things good or not.) It's just that, I feel, social media can sort of color things-there are certain pockets of a playerbase that tend to complain louder about things, giving an *impression*, where when you look at the numbers, it was a rousing success(and there was quite a bit of fanart, fan comics and the like from this era.) No matter where you go, people have different tastes. I rank SB and HW rather close to each other myself, for varying reasons.

I mean love all the expansions for different reasons, I do think that yeah, from a narrative perspective, ShB is absolutely the strongest. Each one has, IMO, its ups and downs, and different ones. I think they're all great in their ways(but yeah, I do rank ARR the 'lowest', but indeed, it's still solid for an MMO, and especially when you realize they basically rescued a literal dead MMO from the dumpster and had not long to do it.)

For example-no story spoilers-I felt Stormblood had the best mechanical MSQ 'structure', in terms of having a fair spread where you rarely had 'dead levels' where you were forced to grind to get past a level wall; ShB has a part where between the last 75 quest and the first 78 quest, there are only 21 MSQs which amount to about 16m XP give or take, which basically says unless you are already ahead of the game, you WILL be grinding fates, sidequests, and/or roulettes. And to be ahead of the game...well you were probably doing a lot of side stuff. I don't think it was nearly as egregious than ARR's 46-49 grind-back in the original launch before we HAD roulettes/etc-but it was noticeable to me coming off of SB's pretty smooth curve.

Likewise for me, Heavensward had the best 'feel.' It's hard to describe past that, but for me, HW had the best sort of feel/zones(that said I have a bias for 'cold/snowy.' so that's playing into this.)

Icarium

Validated User
My main issue with Stormblood is it's all over the place. The split between Doman and Ala Mhigo was done not ... that well, and Ala Mhigo really suffered. Heavensward was more focused and better as a cohesive story. I like Stormblood though.

I mean, like I said, I like ARR.

I probably would peg ARR a 3, SB an 3.5, HW a 4 or 9, and ShB a 4.5. Out of 5. ;) Some of SB's best bits are equal of HW though!

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
I'd say since I usually rate 1-10(a little less grainy) I'd go ARR 7.5, SB an 8, HW an 8.5, and ShB a 9(SO far. It does have a lot of time left.)

So pretty close to yours. (I do agree that SB got a bit split, but much like how ShB still has 5.X to do, I think SB's bigger flaws came in the 4.X series when the split became even more dominant. Had they made up the 'split'-leaving it vague-in the 4.X series I think it'd have been tied with HW.)

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
Welcome to the game! There are settings where you can turn down the visual effects for abilities -- somewhere in the character option or system option menus, I believe. And you can set them to different levels for your own abilities, your party members' abilities, and the abilities from random people out in the world.
Thanks, this is great to know. I'll definitely look into this!

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
Btw: Anyone around Crystal, I'm mostly on Kael Haustefort on Balmung(Crystal DC.) I'm also sometimes on an alt there(usually Marik Terentius, Völundr Bloodstrider, sometimes Vossert Terentius.) I have scattered lowbies around Goblin as well. I have a small presence on Aether and Primal(I mostly play on NA DCs.) So long as my time zone adds up I'm always willing to try to help(though since I play EU to US I sometimes have trouble finding some of the US crowd! My FC is EU-timezone friendly thanks to the US folks in it running on weird schedules, and we have a couple of EU folks like myself in as well.)

I'm considering rolling an alt on an EU DC one day, but most of the EU people I know who play are SO spread out that I don't know which I'd pick. I know one or two people who even play over on the JP DCs(but they're usually located in central/east/southeast Asia, or Australia, and pick those DCs for a mix of ping and being able to find others who raid in their time zones.)

It's nice to be able to basically pick wherever you want to play. You'll find people!

EDIT: As for like tips-mine are pretty basic:

-Enjoy the story. Again, even the old time part has a solid story to it.

-Don't be afraid to try out other classes, including crafting/gathering.

-The latter can be a nice source of gil, even if you don't push it hard. Some lowbie stuff sells nicely.

Last edited:

JustJo

Mother Knows Best
Staff member
RPGnet Member
In late breaking news, have managed to get through the various annoying single player scenarios and am now into Shadowbringers, which is properly as awesome as everyone says :) Currently playing red mage with white mage as main backup. But really I just wish I could play a Nu Mou.

I'm on Phoenix (EU), if anyone is interested ;)

Tanka

We See You
Staff member
Validated User
Nu Mou are pretty amazing, yes.

Did you do any of the sidequests in Il Mheg? There's a hilarious one involving Urianger everyone should do.

Top Bottom