• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Final Fantasy XIV

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
I think you just need to be a certain level to get the quest(not MSQ-level just plain level), and I think 20 is plenty IIRC. So you can get that pretty quick. You just need to be of the level of the thing you're melding(so a level 20 BSM can meld level 20 and under BSM crafted things, and so on.)

And I think omnicrafter things are just baked in at this point. They made things a *bit* easier in terms of skills by making a few common cross class skills baseline, and they simplified one or two other things, but they would have to either A. Go through and change like, 80% of the recipes, OR B: make a lot more mats available from vendors. Which has its own drawback; this could cut into the coffers of lowbies a bit too much by messing up the MB economy. Gil isn't too easy to get until you get higher since the game lacks the hefty 'vendor trash' that WoW has or the good resale value of certain things*(I make it no problem being a max level omnicrafter but low levels in this game, I mean, there are guides upon guides on how to do it), and those lower-to-mid level mats that you can't buy on vendors actually make lowbies some decent gil, and it would kinda suck if they lost their otherwise limited income. So I KINDA see omnicrafting here to stay, though I do see them making more and more QoL changes(there will be more coming with Ishgard restoration, for example.) I think they want to make omnicrafting feel *less* required, but they don't want to take it away completely. Hopefully they can find a happy medium.

*In early vanilla WoW, it was actually viable, at low levels, to vendor stacks of low level leather since it sold for actually a fair amount to vendors and not that much more on the AH, plus you didn't have to pay any tax on it. FFXIV has very poor resale value of stuff like this.

Shade the Lost

Validated User
Never underestimate the laziness tax, though. Back in ARR, I made a good chunk of money by buying iron ore off of the one vendor in all of Eorzea that carried it, and posting up moderate-sized lots for sale. The principle still holds, too, with annoying to acquire stuff that gets used a lot providing a steady market.

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
Oh that is definitely true. It's hard to say how much a vendor selling up to say, level 40 mats would cut into lowbie profit. IF they kept the vendors at like, designated areas(near their respective guilds, or at the FC/Personal housing), then the laziness tax could well still provide people a nice sum. (That said I know people will buy weathered stuff off the MB instead of walking a few meters.) It would have to be something that I imagine would need a bit of checking out. I think you'd always get some, but there have been a few instances where some lowbie mats, upon getting easier to get, have sank in terms of MB value. It's weird since there's no real pattern. For one odd example, Effervescent Water. On Goblin it was going for maybe 250 each(its a level 25 mined mat that gets used in quite a bit, actually, even some higher level things.)

I've seen *lower* level stuff that goes for more. It's not bad, and I mean it sells quickly so it's a nice income for a lowbie, but there is definitely some oddities when it comes to the MB, and that can even vary per server. (It's no secret that on Balmung you're better off selling refined mats-like the stage 2 crafting mats-then you are the green HQ raid gear. For example, an HQ whatever raid shirt goes for about 250k and can take awhile to sell as one of the other many omnis keep undercutting it. Go sell like 10 Dwarven Cotton and you'll make the same amount and it'll be a guaranteed sell. :p Other servers differ, though. High pop servers can have lots of omnis who have gil who are more likely to craft their own gear, but buy the mats out of laziness.)

One nice chunk of cash can come from the Emperor's New Glamour Gear. You need to have a 15 crafter to access it(there's a vendor in Vesper Bay for it, one in Mor Dhona and I forget where else), but that's easy to get with only basic vendor mats. You buy it for a paltry amount, and can resell it on the MB for a massive upmark.

Last edited:

Icarium

Validated User
And where housing vendors cut off, you can pick up more from various ARR beast tribes.

For instance, Ixali do wood, the dudes in Thanalan (I'm having a brain fart atm) due metal, Sylphs due cloth, etc.

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
That's a good note too-and usually the beast tribes tend to end up trading their currency for what, at the time, is/was a valuable crafting material that you rarely get elsewhere(and remember you get 1 per quest, so 3 per day, and an occasional bonus when you 'rank up', so as a crafter you'll definitely want to do those.)

Moogles for example have Glass Fibers. They're cheap and plentiful nowadays, but back then in Heavensward you needed them to craft the best crafting set(Ironworks), among other things. You got them through Moogles through their Kupo Nuts(and you had to pay 3 for 1 if I recall). Otherwise you had to desynth gear for them(and you'd only sometimes get one, low chance), or GC seals...for 7,000 apiece, which in those days was quite a bit since you capped at like 60k or something and the old GC turn-ins were much less in those days(capping at 60, you had to solo 50 dungeons, and the turn ins were like, 500 or so apiece.)

Namazu had Stormsap, which IIRC you couldn't even get anywhere else(I forget), that was highly valued by crafters for a few recipes(and such could fetch hefty prices on the MB.) I'm sure whoever the new crafters are(I will *bet* it's going to be the Dwarves, they count as a Beast Tribe on the first...somehow, but the Nu Mou are also a possibility) will have a valuable material you'll want to stock up their currency for too.

FortMan

Viva Romanesco!
Validated User
You can get the sap out of SB 24-man gear desynth. But doing favor for catfishmen is a lot less effort-and-time consuming, IMO.
Unlikely as it is, for some odd reasons, I kinda want all the Fae as one beast tribe. Or Amaro beast tribe quests.

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
That was it(re: stormsap-I had a feeling there was one other place but I forgot. That said yeah compared to fishbuddy dailies its a pain.)

As for the beast tribes I remember at Fanfest they called Pixies, Nu Mou and Dwarves separate. That said they could have changed somethin but I agree its unlikely.

They COULD have probably done the Fae thing but they do seem to show that the fae are different and not of the same tribe.

Generally we get the crafting tribe at X.3 but I wonder if that too could be adjusted since the whole Ishgard thing is happening which is brand new content(gathering in a revamped Diadem aside, they haven't done proper real Endgame DoH/L stuff.)

Which btw I have already started to save materia for. Been doing extra collectibles. My DoL materia is a bit lacking so I may have to spend extra time there. Between now and 5.1(which is PROBABLY late oct) I should be able to have a couple hundred of each to ensure "comfy" melds.

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
On the upside, speaking as somebody who's started them fairly recently, I find gathering jobs pretty chill to level. They're a nice alternative to running high-stakes dungeons and stuff. Just turn on a podcast and run around clicking trees/rocks for an hour or so.

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
For finding places to get various resources, or really just about anything, new players should take a look at Garland Tools. The database there lists every item in the game, and even breaks down crafted items with the best way to get each of their materials. For instance, searching on Elm Lumber shows that it can be bought from Material Suppliers in the housing districts, or the Ixal. It's a very useful site with a lot of ways you can use it, so I strongly advise keeping it bookmarked. It also has some tools and timers that can help out once you get into more advanced gathering or fishing, such as showing when windows for certain rare items are open.

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
yeah, legendary/unspoiled node timers and slots are a godsend in particular. Takes me a couple times and then the important ones get converted to memory but it's great while you're learning the spawns.

Top Bottom