• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Final Fantasy XIV

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
That's probably a relic of the fact 1.0 had story on them-but the writers maybe not realizing that only about twelve people played 1.0 up to any substantial story moments. I think it probably would have been better to go over them a bit more.

Shade the Lost

Validated User
That's probably a relic of the fact 1.0 had story on them-but the writers maybe not realizing that only about twelve people played 1.0 up to any substantial story moments. I think it probably would have been better to go over them a bit more.
I mean, the ARR writers were writing a plot where there was the very real possibility that 1.0 players would be the major bloc of people seeing it. They were utterly shocked by the smash success of the relaunch.

metalman42

Robo Sapiens Superior
Validated User
Can we get a linkshell going for RPGnetters? I’m in a FC on Faerie but I’d like to chat with you all!

Monochrome Tide

Someone
Validated User
*plays main story through Iffrit fight and joining a Grand Company*
Huh. I'd forgotten how little had been done to establish the Primals before you fight one for the first time. "Hey, here's a giant boss monster for you to fight. And now, let's explain why those boss monsters are extremely central to the setting and its problems."
I mean, it's sort of realistic. "There is this terrible godling we're being dragged to to lose our very mind and souls! Oh shit it's Real!"

They've largely tamped back on Tempering, I think, but the Bowl of Flames is legit chilling watching all these poor saps who had been terrified in the waiting room reduced to meat and prayer puppets.

Rabbit Éclair

high in vital bunnytonium
RPGnet Member
Validated User
They've largely tamped back on Tempering, I think, but the Bowl of Flames is legit chilling watching all these poor saps who had been terrified in the waiting room reduced to meat and prayer puppets.
Tempering doesn't get quite as much attention as it did before, but I'd say that's really only because cracking down on primal summoning has been increasingly less important with each expansion. Tempering stuff is still a significant plot point in 4.x, though, and apparently it comes up in a side conversation I missed in ShB.

Icarium

Validated User
Yup.

It's more 'not a thing' because whenever a primal pops up nowadays, they send the nice, nifty hero who is immune to it. ;)

Monochrome Tide

Someone
Validated User
Tempering doesn't get quite as much attention as it did before, but I'd say that's really only because cracking down on primal summoning has been increasingly less important with each expansion. Tempering stuff is still a significant plot point in 4.x, though, and apparently it comes up in a side conversation I missed in ShB.
It probably helps that many of the Primals and Eikons created these days aren't as prone to Tempering.

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
Back with Ifrit, I think some of that initial sad was *slightly* ahh, tempered by the fact the bastards who sold you out(the traitors and that Ungust SOB) also got theirs, so there was a small consolation prize. Still, it was pretty harsh knowing how tempering is basically nigh incurable and it sucked the innocent dudes ended up as the prayer puppets too. HW spoilers:

Spoiler: Show
(HW, being as sad as it is, adds on a bit more sad once you put all the pieces together-and, admittedly, delve into some backstory, that the knights of the Heaven's Ward had been 'blessed' by Thordan. Which, well, was his form of tempering-you'll notice that only Ifrit's was 'technically* named Tempering, due to being fire and such-Leviathan had the Drowned and so on, but it's generally nicknamed tempering overall. While a few of the Knights were pieces of work before-Charibert the baddest of them, with Grinnaux a piece of work and one or two others-most of them were decent dudes, with Zepherin-the guy responsible for you know who-was actually one of the most noble of all of them, so it *really* sucked.)

But yeah I think with primals getting sorta whacked aside that's more of an ARR/HW thing with a touch in SB.

Top Bottom