• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Final Fantasy XIV

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
We have a few mad theories:

Spoiler: Show
With the mention of 'Oh, the treaty thing is a red herring, it's obvious'-yeah, actually, it's too obvious. As in Varis Being Super Bad is I think the red herring-and I think he legit is going to turn out kinda okay-maybe like a pretty good example of 'Well Intentioned Extremist' done right and most of Garlemald's BS was being handed down by Batshit Crazy Solus; we are starting to think he had his uncle killed in the succession war because *he* was the nasty dude who had Solus' favor. (No idea who Doctor Goatee is.) The other stuff seems to be dungeon/raid bosses(not sure where the Gundam is from, or what everyone is calling the Gundam.) Other enemies all seem to be from the stuff. Seiryu looks amazing, IMO. Biggest of the auspices yet.

Elezenos shows up, and he seems to...fight himself(as in Elidibnos) and get knocked out along with literally everyone else. Hien seems to be fighting Yugiri? I wonder if he gets bodyjacked like Thancred by an unknown Ascian.

The developers are also very very tight lipped on Zenos-in a recent interview they were saying stuff like 'WE CAN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT HIM'-we are starting to get a feeling that much like Minfilia ends up as Hydaelyn's sort of 'vessel'...we think the same thing is happening to him, only for Zodiark. Zodiark could well consider the star having a 'fraudluent existence', since remember-when he was locked away, the shards split. To him, these other shards *should not be*(and to be frank, he's probably right on that. The shards really SHOULDN'T be shattered. They got shattered when half of the balance was locked away, and notice how a bunch of bad stuff started happening to other shards when it did, like Arbert's being destroyed by the light.) Since the devs seem for him to be a counterpart of sorts to the WoL, the only rival who could face the WoL and so on,

I'm starting to wonder if we do time travel, it's is going to involve *preventing the shattering to begin with.*

Also it should be noted: it was pointed out that this trailer involved both stuff from 4.5 and 4.57. I THINK we might see a sorta-similarity to 3.5/3.56 where each one has about 5 or so MSQs.

Some non story bits:

Shooter coaster as a GATE(I think like the FFVII one)

Mahjong in Gold Saucer as the big new game

That glowing cactaur GS mount is hilarious looking and I need it

Looks like Viera are going to have a very Elezenish build(they look very slim), or at least one-sub race of them

It all definitely looks like a pretty slamming/epic end to this expansion which has proven to be their most popular yet-let's hope the momentum keeps going.

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
SO first merry christmas/holidays/Starlight and all of that!

Over Christmas, one of the coolest things happened-I managed to get a house on Balmung! Only a small but the fact I got a house on the most populated server whose housing wars are legendary(I got lucky with the clicking and deciding to stay juuust a bit longer). It's ward 6, plot 58 in the Goblet, way out of the way(fitting for my character, though, since he's an underworld guy.) I plan on keeping this until Ishgard, or however they handle that.

But yeah, I was mega-happy! :D

It's VERY much a WIP so it's still spartan; I'm fixing the windows, adding bits to the outside, adding more to the inside, etc.

That was quite the xmas present...

Oedipus Dex

Validated User
Has anyone played the new patch or unlcocked BLU yet? I'm stuck in anima weapon limbo and haven't run any of the new content yet since I'm not caught up on MSQ.

DareDaemon

The Daemon who Dares
Validated User
BLU isn't going to be out until tuesday. Yes, it shows up on your character screen, but the unlock quest isn't available yet so you can't actually play it.

As for the other things, the trial is fun enough, the new dungeon is quite enjoyable, the new twenty-four man is amazing, and the story of all three is great.

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
Yeah, it's really awesome. Loooooots of fun theories going around right now too.

We think with ALL of the ominous hints/gesturing at the very VI-inspired meeting that Varis is either putting on his Gendou Ikari act* to get the WoL IN there since the Walls Have Ears(the wondertwins are Solus' spies and we all know it and they may well be low level Ascians), so spitting out the Seele Objective seemed like a good way to do it, or since five minutes before that Solus was on about how he can take other forms and he was going to 'Do what Ascians Do' so yeah he's actually the one taking Varis' shape. There is option 3 and that living with Solus for 40 years just actually drove Varis insane(as did finding out the truth from him not long before that how it was 'by design.' Which, I mean, look at Solus, I'd go nuts too and want to return everything to primordial source people for the sole purpose of destroying Ascians.

We can KINDA see that since it's actually not an uncommon trope in Japan in particular-Eva, Tales of Symphonia, several other games we've played-but that whole scene played out far far too ominous for it to be taken at face value. They are good at throwing twists-like how yes, an Ascian took over Zenos-but they also threw the twist in that well actually he IS still alive, so everyone was right, and so on.

Solus going on about the Light Aether with the Black Rose under his breath likewise sort of tells me he's planning SOMETHING big undercover. I reckon he's Emet-Selech, too, since he actually is light-aspected(he ties to Zalera, the Death Seraph, in that particular set of lore.) Solus is planning something under his breath, Varis is on his own path, and I'm pretty convinced Elidibus is on his own path as well, even if he's playing along with the other two to get there. Unukalhai is still in the Rising Stones IIRC and I think that plot point is going to come back soon; Regula van Hydrus died protecting him, Regula was Varis' longtime and only friend, Unu is Elidibus' protege.

*if you've ever seen Eva, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about since it's basically lifted verbatim. In Japan it's actually even closer to it than in English. My one buddy saw it and immediately went on with the GET IN THE ROBOT stuff. :p

New 24 man is probably one of their best yet. IMO the new dungeon is much more pug-friendly too than the Burn was. I loved the music/atmosphere of it but the end boss still to this day makes pugs weep I see sometimes on social media; this dungeon is a lot more chill. Lots of stuff to dodge but it's less...I guess immediately horrible if someone fails a mechanic or two.

Last edited:

Shade the Lost

Validated User
That does sort of raise a question: what is it with game developers and making stuff less pug-friendly? I mean, even for raids, the sane voices don't want incredibly hostile events, they want events that challenge them but are still beatable. In fact, the more horribly fiddly an event is, the less it'll ever get done after it's old news. Is it just listening to the gatekeepers who feel there's no point in playing if it doesn't kick their teeth in for weeks?

edit - I guess this is prompted by me thinking about trying to get back into the game after a while to catch up, and just... being insanely intimidated by all the mechanics these days that seem to one shot people if they aren't executed right. Especially the ones that aren't very clearly explained.

Last edited:

Azaael

Have you the strength?
Validated User
Well XIV IS, for the most part, pretty pug friendly, IMO. There are a few dungeons that stick out, but generally speaking the story content IS fairly tame. Overgeared people doing roulettes, things like that-the Burn, to be frank, was kind of an outlier after a long string of relatively friendly dungeons. Really scary one-shot mechanics are exceedingly rare in dungeons and when they do pop up they're usually insanely telegraphed to the point where you have to try to get hit by them.

That said there are a few harsh spots here and there. Each expac does seem to have That One Dungeon. I think Stormblood has been more pug-friendly than Heavensward(IMO); there are moments but I think on average there were a few less 'oh no' points in general. The Ivalice raids have a few hairy spots, but all the 24 mans had their moments too.

Tanka

We See You
Staff member
Validated User
Well XIV IS, for the most part, pretty pug friendly, IMO. There are a few dungeons that stick out, but generally speaking the story content IS fairly tame. Overgeared people doing roulettes, things like that-the Burn, to be frank, was kind of an outlier after a long string of relatively friendly dungeons. Really scary one-shot mechanics are exceedingly rare in dungeons and when they do pop up they're usually insanely telegraphed to the point where you have to try to get hit by them.

That said there are a few harsh spots here and there. Each expac does seem to have That One Dungeon. I think Stormblood has been more pug-friendly than Heavensward(IMO); there are moments but I think on average there were a few less 'oh no' points in general. The Ivalice raids have a few hairy spots, but all the 24 mans had their moments too.
The Final Steps of Faith gets people ragequitting to this day. I like the fight, but it is not easy, especially if more than one of the players is new.

Icarium

Validated User
It's kind of push-pull thing, honestly.

You have pushback between the ones who want things really really hard, even 24 mans and the ones who want it dead simple to the extent you can sleep through it.

And then there's the middle, who are somewhere between those, being pulled back and forth between them. :)

I tend to be more on the easy camp, but not too easy. I hate sleeping through raids. Just it's bad enough with an 8 people. Trusting 3 alliances of 8 people to do things is annoying. People still wipe on the Flare at the end of Labyrinth for god's sake, now and then.

So personal difficulty is fine. Difficulty where your mistakes wipe the whole raid are annoying on 24 man.

Shade the Lost

Validated User
Back in the bad old days of vanilla, they called that sort of stuff "team rope-jumping." This would come up in discussion of Binding Coil in particular, though it would show up in Hard Mode (and even discussion of the first few primals, at that) and was certainly not viewed as a positive back then, either. (Case in point, ADS in Turn 1 of Coil back then needed to be stunned at very, very exact intervals or it would AoE a nasty paralysis + damage AoE. Which... both killed my interest in Bard and simultaneously made me forever leery of FFXIV 8man content. Further exposure to it never did convince me that things were improved, at least not until a few fights in Heavensward... which were also derided as "so easy you can sleep through them," like Bismarck Ex, which left me terrified of the other Ex modes.

Top Bottom