• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Find my premise

Gareth3

Validated User
This is a thread where people with an idea for a story (broadly speaking) can post it and check if it's been used before, in books, movies, comics or what have you. You can't copyright a premise and it's perfectly acceptable to write something even if the basic idea has been used before. But it's always useful to see what other people have done with the idea and see if it's become played out. As The Simpsons said:

Since this is asking about existing media, I think this is the best forum for it.

OK, here's my premise: Male ice dancers are relatively rare, so female ice dancers find it difficult and frustrating to find good partners. The process resembles the romantic comedy situation of trying to "find a man". So that's the story - a woman is looking for a professional rather than romantic partner and goes through similar hijinks as a romantic comedy heroine, in an profession obsessed with traditional romance. It's I Love You, Man meets Step Up, on ice.

What other works have used this premise? What premise would you like us to investigate for you?

Last edited:

taschoene

RPGnet Member
Validated User
I don't think that premise has been done, exactly. However, in looking for it I'm shocked to discover that The Cutting Edge (impossibly stuck up female ice skater pairs up with washed up male hockey skater to win competition) has become an actual franchise. In the sequels, the male partner is sometimes a speed skater, sometimes another hockey player. In a daring departure from form, one has a male figure skater and a female hockey player. They all appear to involve the partners falling in love with each other.

Gareth3

Validated User
Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. I'll have to investigate The Cutting Edge Cinematic Universe further.

Sven_Noren

Statistical Outlier
Validated User
There is also Blades of Glory, a film about a male skater that is barred from participating with female skaters due to being a complete a$$hole. However there is nothing in the rules that explicitly forbids two male skaters to pair up...

The Watcher

Cosmic Observer
Validated User
There is also Blades of Glory, a film about a male skater that is barred from participating with female skaters due to being a complete a$$hole. However there is nothing in the rules that explicitly forbids two male skaters to pair up...
IIRC, he wasn't barred from participating with females. Both male skaters were banned from solo competitions. They just ended up paired with each other because they couldn't find anyone else willing to be their partners.

Sven_Noren

Statistical Outlier
Validated User
IIRC, he wasn't barred from participating with females. Both male skaters were banned from solo competitions. They just ended up paired with each other because they couldn't find anyone else willing to be their partners.
Could very well be, it's been awhile since I watched it.

Top Bottom