IC [Firefly] Leaf on the Wind

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
Timeline: Leaf On The Wind begins four years after the end of the Unification War.

Trigger Event: During one of the last battles of the Unification War, the crew procured the Liúlàng Zhě (Wanderer) in a desperate bid to escape certain annihilation, appropriating the near obsolete mining vessel from an abandoned salvage yard just ahead of advancing Alliance forces. Old as she was and slated for scrap, the stout little ship proved surprisingly tough and agile, dodging or shrugging off potential hazards as they fled the system.

Opening Scene: Over the past four years, the battered old Mayfly has undergone a number of interesting modifications and upgrades both inside and out, not all of them entirely legal like, and the mismatched group that fled the Alliance together have made some small name for themselves in the 'Verse as a capable crew that gets jobs done.

The crew of the Wanderer is currently docked for resupply and routine maintenance on Deadwood, seventh planet in the Blue system. They're supposed to be meeting a guy about a job.

[HR][/HR]
Post Frequency
I am asking for a daily posting commitment for this game as a general rule, with the understanding that posting might be less frequent on weekends and holidays.

Post Absences
If you will NOT be able to post, for whatever reason, please ping us in OOC so we know what is going on or post to the Absences Thread (I pretty much check that thing every time it lights up).

Post Formatting
Please bold your character's name at the top of each IC post OR bold the first instance of your character's name in the body of the post. We all game with lots of folk, sometimes with the same players in different games; this just makes it easier to keep track of which character we're addressing.

OOC blocks are fine for showing dice rolls and brief OOC comments directly related to a particular post. Please sblock if you need to include large blocks of text related to your IC post. All other OOC content should go in the OOC thread itself.

Please roll your dice in the order you list them. And link your results back to your dice roller.

[HR][/HR]
Wiki

OOC Thread

[HR][/HR]
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
Episode One: The Ranch
Preamble

Martinsburg Spaceport, Deadwood, seventh planet orbiting the Blue Sun.

The ship is doing her thing again, but she got them dirtside in one piece. The crew could get her in the blue again if they had to - maybe even into the black - but it would be dicey. She needs fixin, but this far out on the rim finding the right parts ain't necessarily gonna be easy.

But ship trouble ain't the main reason they're on Deadwood. They got a job.

OOC: Each member of the crew starts the episode with 1 PP; GM starts with 1 PP per player, so 7 PP.

PP and BDHD can be found on the Character Files/Meta-Currencies Table on the wiki. Complications and Assets can be found directly under that table [though I will endeavor to also sblock complications at the bottom of each update as well so you don't have to keep bouncing around].


Episode One: The Ranch
Act 1; Scene 1



The Liúlàng Zhě :: Engineering [Becca, Dec][HR][/HR]

The odd granulated image of Chākou, the ship's AI lingers on the 2D screen, flickering and frowning as it addresses Becca. "Mechanically, the relays look fine, but the backups and auxiliaries are not getting power from the engines. They are not recharging."

On his console, Dec can confirm the AI's assessment. Nothing seems to be wrong with the relays. Test pulses travel through them per spec, but for some reason they are not transferring power real time.



The Liúlàng Zhě :: The Bridge [Constantine, Veritas, Mel, Huáng, and JC][HR][/HR]The ship is down and locked into her berth on the fringe of Martinsburg spaceport, all codes confirmed. Between fighting the ship's most recent foibles and dealing with the most Alliance-like spaceport bureaucracy in the rim, the landing was more than a little bit tense.

A pre-recorded message comes through on the main screen. It is a small wiry woman in a blue gingham shirt, leather vest, and ranchers hat. Miranda Katayev.

"Mel! Welcome to the backwaters, old friend! I look forward to seeing to you!" Behind her, her burly foreman Jack - an honest hardworking man Veritas has had the opportunity to work with before - moves across the feed lugging a saddle. "We're riding the south fence this morning. Please meet us there when you're settled." She frowns. "I'd like to get this mess sorted."
Like Mel, Miranda and her husband Jules were never content to just leave all the work on someone else's shoulders. He wasn't the least bit surprised to see her taking on the task of mending fences.

It was probably also a good way to meet with them alone and away from prying eyes.

JC's personal comm lights up. It's a message from his contact here, Boggs McGee, a local Fixer and the man who had originally facilitated this job.

I'll be at the Corpsebox* when you land if you want to get a drink and discuss particulars.
OOC: *The Corpsebox is a spaceport bar of some fame in that every bit of it is made from the wood of old pinebox coffins.


OOC: I started folk where I did just as a means of throwing the first hooks out. How you guys opt to go about doing what needs to be done and who goes where is entirely up to you.

The job you were hired for will be hashed out with Miranda Katayev.

Boggs is a facilitator whose main job is to make things go smooth for the crew in their every day dealings, the locals being less than cooperative with folk come down from the black (Miranda is paying him).

And of course the ship needs fixin of its mysterious malady.

Note: With the Cursed condition on your ship every episode, the ship is going to need fixin a lot. That does not have to eat up any given episode. The 'fix' can always happen between episodes when that complication mechanically resets. This is just a narrative means of expressing the complication and is not meant to tie down our mechanic or any other character or to keep them from participating in the main thrust of any job.


Spoiler: Show
Cursed Ship [d6] All
 

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Dec

Episode One: The Ranch
Act 1; Scene 1

The Liúlàng Zhě :: Engineering [Becca, Dec][HR][/HR]
The odd granulated image of Chākou, the ship's AI lingers on the 2D screen, flickering and frowning as it addresses Becca. "Mechanically, the relays look fine, but the backups and auxiliaries are not getting power from the engines. They are not recharging."

On his console, Dec can confirm the AI's assessment. Nothing seems to be wrong with the relays. Test pulses travel through them per spec, but for some reason they are not transferring power real time.
"Becks!" Dec shouts from behind the computer station, speaking around the electronic cigarette typically hanging from his lip. "We're going to need to pull out the backups and look at 'em. There must be something physically wrong with them if they aren't charging. I'll keep running the test pattern - can you crawl in there with a voltimeter?"

OOC: We're better off with Becca making the main roll on this, I think, but Dec will lend an Operate die preemptively: 3. Not much help, but I'm sure Becca's got this.
 

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
Veritas Jones

"Alright, people," Veritas says, exchanging a glance with Mel. "You know your roles. Let's hop to it."

He moves through the mess and turret to stand at the top of the engineering corridor. "We're gonna be headin' out, meet our client," he says down the tube to Becca and Dec. "You two solid, here?"
 

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Xiùlán watches the message passively. "Normally it would be time to ask around who our client's enemies might be, but the people out here don't like outsiders much, so I hope our fixer's done his homework," she comments after.
 

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"I reckon we'll find out one way or another soon enough," says Mel to Xiùlán.

He claps a hand on Veritas' shoulder. "Well, whatever this trouble is, it will be good to be off the ship and back on the land for a bit." He finds himself feeling slightly envious of Miranda, still running her own ranch. If the Alliance hadn't confiscated his property, he'd probably be out fixing fences as well. He reminds himself that envy is un-Christian and pushes the thought away.

He heads down to the mule and waits for Veritas to her fired up.

OOC: It looks like Veritas has the highest Drive score, so I assume he'll be driving.
 

ncc2010

Blue Blaze Irregular
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Dec

"Becks!" Dec shouts from behind the computer station, speaking around the electronic cigarette typically hanging from his lip. "We're going to need to pull out the backups and look at 'em. There must be something physically wrong with them if they aren't charging. I'll keep running the test pattern - can you crawl in there with a voltimeter?"

OOC: We're better off with Becca making the main roll on this, I think, but Dec will lend an Operate die preemptively: 3. Not much help, but I'm sure Becca's got this.
Becca

Back in Engineering, her nostrils almost curled from her long experience with Dec, she absolutely hated that electronic cigarette and its inherent reek that seemed to just float like a halo around Dec. At least, that's how she viewed it. Cigarettes were worse, she admitted to herself. "Yeah, sure," she yelled back, "give me a minute or three." Without a second thought, she shed her top and grabbed the volt meter - she'd torn way too many blouses and shirts on those tight little nooks and crannies in the underflooring to risk another one. Besides, nobody cared, here, she was everyone's little sister.

Veritas JonesHe moves through the mess and turret to stand at the top of the engineering corridor. "We're gonna be headin' out, meet our client," he says down the tube to Becca and Dec. "You two solid, here?"
Sliding into the narrow gap between decking and structural support, she shouted back, "SOLID! GO HAVE FUN, GET ME SOME MORE RASPBERRY TOASTIEPOPS!" and slithered the two meters deep and twisted around the secondary coolant routing to where the relays were routed into the wiring harness for the backups. It might have been easier access by pulling the floor plating, but that would've taken a lot more time. "CHECKING ONE-ONE!" and proceeded to check the entire relay pattern, one link at a time.

OOC: Still learning the dice rule conventions for the system. I'll get into it a bit more as we go. :)
 
Last edited:

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
Veritas Jones

Veritas catches Dec's eye. "Stay on the ship. People 'round here aren't as friendly as they look."

Sliding down a ladder to the cargo bay, he runs a quick operations check on the mule while he waits for any others joining him and Mel to arrive.
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
Episode One: The Ranch
Act 1; Scene 1

The Liúlàng Zhě :: Engineering [Becca, Dec][HR][/HR]
Dec

"Becks!" Dec shouts from behind the computer station, speaking around the electronic cigarette typically hanging from his lip. "We're going to need to pull out the backups and look at 'em. There must be something physically wrong with them if they aren't charging. I'll keep running the test pattern - can you crawl in there with a voltimeter?"

OOC: We're better off with Becca making the main roll on this, I think, but Dec will lend an Operate die preemptively: 3. Not much help, but I'm sure Becca's got this.
Becca

Back in Engineering, her nostrils almost curled from her long experience with Dec, she absolutely hated that electronic cigarette and its inherent reek that seemed to just float like a halo around Dec. At least, that's how she viewed it. Cigarettes were worse, she admitted to herself. "Yeah, sure," she yelled back, "give me a minute or three." Without a second thought, she shed her top and grabbed the volt meter - she'd torn way too many blouses and shirts on those tight little nooks and crannies in the underflooring to risk another one. Besides, nobody cared, here, she was everyone's little sister.

Sliding into the narrow gap between decking and structural support, she shouted back, "SOLID! GO HAVE FUN, GET ME SOME MORE RASPBERRY TOASTIEPOPS!" and slithered the two meters deep and twisted around the secondary coolant routing to where the relays were routed into the wiring harness for the backups. It might have been easier access by pulling the floor plating, but that would've taken a lot more time. "CHECKING ONE-ONE!" and proceeded to check the entire relay pattern, one link at a time.

OOC: Still learning the dice rule conventions for the system. I'll get into it a bit more as we go. :)
OOC: I know not everyone has chimed in yet, but I'm going to go ahead and resolve this roll just to kinda give an example of how dice conventions go for Firefly.

Becca's roll from the OOC thread - Engines Work...: 1d8 4 1d10 8 1d6 2 1d8 4 1d8 1 1d6 1

So with Iustum's lent die that gives you a pool of 8, 4, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1 - so a total of 12 (keep the two highest), and 2 jinxes. I'll buy those jinxes, so Becca is up one PP. [I'll name the complication from those jinxes in the description].

So, This Should Be An Easy Assessment d6, + but its Really Tight Quarters d8, + Cursed Ship d6 Assessing Power Glitch: 1d8 3 2#1d6 4 2 So, 7; no opportunities, and that is an extraordinary success for Becca and a d8 BDHD.

[PP and BDHD for characters can be found on the wiki].


It takes a contortionist's skill to crane around to see the relays, but Becca can already smell the problem long before she can see it. Sure enough. That's why the gorramn things tested positive for power flow while not actually transferring power. Somewhere above there was a hydraulic leak, and the conductive liquid had gotten both in and on the relays, showing the false positive while grounding out the circuits.

Then the ship plunged into darkness as all the interior systems went Offline [d8].

Chākou's hologram lingers a moment longer after Dec's screen goes dark then crackles once and fades.


Episode One: The Ranch
Act 1; Scene 1

The Liúlàng Zhě :: Main Crew Deck [Mel, Veritas, JC, Constantine, Xiùlán][HR][/HR]In the midst of everything, all lights and ship's consoles go dark, and atmo scrubbers fall silent. Light from the spaceport is still filtering in through the cockpit and view ports.
 

camk4evr

Registered User
Validated User
Mike Constatine

"Sorry 'bout the landing, Cap'n. It was a might more exciting than I would've liked," Mike said as he followed Mel and the others off the bridge. "If you all don't need me, I'll stay and help Dec and Becca try to find the problem," he added turning towards engineering.

"Chākou, are the airscrubbers workin' alright," he said to tease Dec as he approached engineering.
 
Last edited:
Top Bottom