IC [Firefly] Leaf on the Wind

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Dec looks at Mel honestly surprised. "I mean, obviously I can do it. I'm just surprised you're encouraging it." Dec heads into the Wanderer, hooks his custom Cortex handset into the Command Communications Suite, and sets to work.
Mel laughs. "Come on, Dec, I helped lead a war against the Alliance's coming out to the Rim where they weren't wanted and I don't consider them to have any legitimacy. Why should you be surprised that I want you to hack them?"

Dec

Dec puts the recorded message onto his handset and then heads out to find Mel and the others. He plays the decoded transmission for them. "Looks like they don't want anybody playing with their toys," Dec says.
Mike

"Da-shiong bao-jah-shr duh la doo-tze," Mike said, surprised at this turn of events. "I did not expect Jan to be a purplebelly. Did he infiltrate the Triad or was it the other way 'round, I wonder?"
Xiùlán raises an eyebrow. "I think I've lost track of the number of parties that have been played at this point. I'm not even sure if it includes us, or includes us enough times to cancel out."
Mel nods. "This is unexpected. Still, it means we're not about to get caught in a shooting war between Jan and the Alliance. I still think we should get out of here with all due haste, since there's no telling if the other factions at play here might start a fight--especially if they don't know Jan and the Alliance are in bed together. Let's keep this information close to our chest for now--it might turn out to be useful later."

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Yes... and I would prefer my chest to be away from this place as soon as possible, as well," Xiùlán agrees. "Hopefully Miranda's evactuation proceeds without issue."

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
Episode One: The Ranch
Act 5; Scene 2

The Katayev Ranch [Xiùlán, Mel, Dec, Veritas, Mike, Becca]
Dec

Dec puts the recorded message onto his handset and then heads out to find Mel and the others. He plays the decoded transmission for them. "Looks like they don't want anybody playing with their toys," Dec says.
Mike

"Da-shiong bao-jah-shr duh la doo-tze," Mike said, surprised at this turn of events. "I did not expect Jan to be a purplebelly. Did he infiltrate the Triad or was it the other way 'round, I wonder?"
Xiùlán raises an eyebrow. "I think I've lost track of the number of parties that have been played at this point. I'm not even sure if it includes us, or includes us enough times to cancel out."
Mel laughs. "Come on, Dec, I helped lead a war against the Alliance's coming out to the Rim where they weren't wanted and I don't consider them to have any legitimacy. Why should you be surprised that I want you to hack them?"

Mel nods. "This is unexpected. Still, it means we're not about to get caught in a shooting war between Jan and the Alliance. I still think we should get out of here with all due haste, since there's no telling if the other factions at play here might start a fight--especially if they don't know Jan and the Alliance are in bed together. Let's keep this information close to our chest for now--it might turn out to be useful later."
"Yes... and I would prefer my chest to be away from this place as soon as possible, as well," Xiùlán agrees. "Hopefully Miranda's evactuation proceeds without issue."
By the end of the second day, Miranda's crew and cattle have all been temporarily relocated while her lawyers hunt out the best deal they can for a new property in a new hemisphere and the bulk of her easily movable equipment has been moved. Amy the field hand has made a full recovery and the formula for the cure was fairly easy to disseminate across the cortex. During this time, the gunships never cease their patrol and all seems quiet around the facility.

Around midnight of that second day three compact bomb clusters fall from the Dakota as balls of intense blue light, impacting over or around the facility. There is no affect at the house or to the Wanderer, but power to all outbuildings vanishes. The facility has been hit with EMP clusters, either preemptively or in response to a detected power spike.

Declan receives the following text wave:
Advise your crew and any people still at the ranch to evacuate. We have had to disable power to the facility, but that will also interrupt cooling protocols, and the Locke is still 12 hours out with the nuclear response team.
OOC: FWIW, Jan will deal fairly with Miranda, either making sure she gets her remaining property or its value in credit or currency. Now that the Alliance proper (and not just Planetary Authority of a rim planet) is involved, she won't get the property back even with a provable default to the contract.

That said, I pretty much reserved Act 5 of this episode for a quick wind down and for you guys to wrap things up however you like with any of your personal goals. Those can happen off screen or get played out as you like.

The only such item on my radar atm is Dec severing employment with the crew to become a free agent aboard the Wanderer if that is still a thing. That can get played out or happen between episodes as you like.

Even if everything wraps quickly, I'm going to wait until Iustum Iustum is back from travelling and Atlictoatl Atlictoatl is back from death's door before launching Episode 2 (though I'll pitch the episode before than).

As always, if a suggested episode doesn't appeal, let me know up front. We don't necessarily have to go with whatever is in the front of my brain at the time.

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Xiùlán watches the orbital bombardment impact with calm satisfaction, wishing she'd had time to make some popcorn. "...you know, when you're not on the business end of those, the boom is pretty exciting," she observes dryly, wondering if Mr. Jan gathered all the attention he wanted, or too much.

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Mel says, "I don't know what's going on, but I don't like it. I suggest we clear out of here as quickly as possible--if they're hitting their own property with EMPs, that can't be good."

camk4evr

Validated User
Mike

"I'll second, third, and tenth that," Mike said. "I don't know what tnose emps'll do to that facility but I'm pretty sure we don't want to be around when it happens."

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
Episode One: The Ranch
Act 5; Scene 2

Martinsburg Port Authority [Xiùlán, Mel, Dec, Veritas, Mike, Becca]
Xiùlán watches the orbital bombardment impact with calm satisfaction, wishing she'd had time to make some popcorn. "...you know, when you're not on the business end of those, the boom is pretty exciting," she observes dryly, wondering if Mr. Jan gathered all the attention he wanted, or too much.
Mel says, "I don't know what's going on, but I don't like it. I suggest we clear out of here as quickly as possible--if they're hitting their own property with EMPs, that can't be good."
Mike

"I'll second, third, and tenth that," Mike said. "I don't know what tnose emps'll do to that facility but I'm pretty sure we don't want to be around when it happens."
"Agreed," Xiùlán piles on.
Boggs comes around midday on the third day with a crew to collect any remaining equipment, and Miranda drops by the ship to render full payment plus a substantial bonus for all the crew's efforts on her behalf. "Really appreciate you, Mel Krause. You and yours did right by us a thousand times over. If there's anything me and mine can ever do to return the favor, just say the word." At which point, Sandy and Amy both step up and impulsively hug him.

When things have died down a bit, Maggie steps up to talk to him. "I hate to leave you guys short for the trip out, Captain, but I'll be staying on here, for the foreseeable future. I'm of a mind someone ought to be on hand to track how things unfold. Make sure this don't get swept under, if you follow."

Mr Jan does not make a farewell appearance, not even via secure wave.

Billie is too busy being promoted to say goodbye.

Near as Mike and Becca are able to tell between them, the Wanderer is fit and ready to lift into the black.

OOC: Just winding things down. There is still time if anyone on the crew has any final things they want to do before leaving Deadwood. Going into our second epidsode MixterAsh MixterAsh will be joining us. They have been looking to join the game since October, so now that we have a bit of breathing room to introduce someone new . . . They originally statted up a companion style character, but that was a couple months ago, so I don't know if they are still going with that, but hopefully they'll have a character up on the wiki by the weekend.

I'll be working on updating the wiki tonight. I'll leave the Table as is for now (except for putting an empty character sheet in Maggie's old slot. Let me know if you are spending your episode point from this episode or banking it for later.

Last edited:

ncc2010

Blue Blaze Irregular
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Becca yelled - the girl didn't seem to actually understand the concept of "intercom", but she still had a pair of good youthful lungs and there wasn't any real point of her not using them: "Cap'n MEL! Baby's ready to fly!"

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Mel awkwardly accepts Sandy and Amy's hugs. "I just did my best. You still lost some good men--and the fellas responsible still got what they wanted." What they achieved doesn't feel like a victory to Mel. More like a draw.

He nods to Maggie. "Well, we'll miss you, Doc. But I do imagine people on this planet might be needing you, if Jan follows through on this threats to use the radioactive substance as a weapon. They'll at least have a fighting chance with your doctoring skills to help them."

Top Bottom