• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC [Firefly] Leaf on the Wind

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Gooorramm," Mike said, as he fought the tubulence, watching the destruction. "Is everyone alright there?" Mike asked over the comms. "V? Mel? Anyone?"
Mel calls back to Mike, "Becca and I are fine for the moment. What in blazes is happening up there? It feels like someone else is trying to drill in and not being delicate about it."

"Cap'n…" Becca did a double-take inside her rad suit helmet as she spied his badge; she tapped his. "We need to go. Can't we just blow this place up or somethin'?" She sounded definitely scared, not a tone that was usual for her.
Mel says calmly to Becca, "Get a hold of yourself. The suit's resistance isn't tapped out yet. But, yes, we don't want to spend any more time down here than we want to. But we still need to find a cure for those hands who are dying. And think about what's likely to happen if we blow this place up--we'll just spread the radiation far and wide."

Mel calls to Dec, as much to reassure Becca as anything else, "Checking in. So far, we've found another empty chamber. Any luck on your end?"
 

camk4evr

Registered User
Validated User
Mel calls back to Mike, "Becca and I are fine for the moment. What in blazes is happening up there? It feels like someone else is trying to drill in and not being delicate about it."

Mike

Mike sighed in relief at hearing Mel's now knowing the inside team is okay (so far). "Judging by the Blue explosion, I think V took out the pulse cannon," Mike replied bring the ship around to return to the drill site. "I don't know if he's okay yet."
 

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Dec

Mel calls to Dec, as much to reassure Becca as anything else, "Checking in. So far, we've found another empty chamber. Any luck on your end?"
Dec answers Mel: "Some kind of luck. We've got a bunch of cylinders filled with some sort of radioactive biological warfare agent. I think. The diagnostics say that the tanks aren't compromised, but there's obviously some kind of leak. Would be good for Becca to come over and have a look. She's better with physical systems than I am."

OOC: If Becca comes over to examine the tanks, Dec'll lend his Operate d12 to the procedure.
 

Atlictoatl

Powered by the Apocryphal
Validated User
Veritas finds himself in a crevice between two rocks when the pulse cannon goes up. Fortunately there is nothing to shape the blast, so the bulk of the energy radiates out and up, obliterating most of the vegetation in a thirty yard radius. Veritas is nearly buried in an avalanche of mulch and tinder, but he emerges unscathed to hear Mike calling him on the comms.
Veritas Jones

Veritas lies where he is for a long moment, his ears ringing, his body hurting all over. He can't hear anything more than the racehorse pounding of his own heart. He's still full of adrenalin, and his consciousness slowly becomes aware of that. With a heavy groan, he gets himself moving, knowing that he needs to take advantage of his adrenalized state to claw his way out of whatever he's in.

For now, Mike gets no response on comms.
 

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This room seems to represent the terminus of the north corridor. There is no other way out than the way they came in. According to her suit, the radiation is steadily and rapidly rising.
"If you haven't found anything earth-shattering, we need to go. Before the earth shatters," Xiùlán tells Dec. "It's getting super hot in here."
 

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Dec

"If you haven't found anything earth-shattering, we need to go. Before the earth shatters," Xiùlán tells Dec. "It's getting super hot in here."
Dec shrugs. "Yeah, but if we leave now we haven't really solved the problem. I mean, that's okay with me - I've already got what I need to turn this into a profit center - but Mel wants to save the puppies or whatever."
 

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"This isn't the only room in the facility," Xiùlán points out to him. "Better access might be elsewhere."
 

ncc2010

Blue Blaze Irregular
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Dec



Dec answers Mel: "Some kind of luck. We've got a bunch of cylinders filled with some sort of radioactive biological warfare agent. I think. The diagnostics say that the tanks aren't compromised, but there's obviously some kind of leak. Would be good for Becca to come over and have a look. She's better with physical systems than I am."

OOC: If Becca comes over to examine the tanks, Dec'll lend his Operate d12 to the procedure.
Becca glances to Mel for permission, then once he gives his nod, she makes her way at a trot over to where Dec is; she's less calm than she looks: Mel may have said it's okay, but she still feels like there's a billion ants all over her, she just hates the fact she's damn near swimming in radiation...

"Yeah, let me look at it," she informs Dec...

(and she'll do her little magic)
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
Episode One: The Ranch
Act 4; Scene 1


Undervault Compound :: Entry Point [Xiùlán, Mel, Becca, Dec]
Mel calls back to Mike, "Becca and I are fine for the moment. What in blazes is happening up there? It feels like someone else is trying to drill in and not being delicate about it."

Mel says calmly to Becca, "Get a hold of yourself. The suit's resistance isn't tapped out yet. But, yes, we don't want to spend any more time down here than we want to. But we still need to find a cure for those hands who are dying. And think about what's likely to happen if we blow this place up--we'll just spread the radiation far and wide."

Mel calls to Dec, as much to reassure Becca as anything else, "Checking in. So far, we've found another empty chamber. Any luck on your end?"
Dec



Dec answers Mel: "Some kind of luck. We've got a bunch of cylinders filled with some sort of radioactive biological warfare agent. I think. The diagnostics say that the tanks aren't compromised, but there's obviously some kind of leak. Would be good for Becca to come over and have a look. She's better with physical systems than I am."

OOC: If Becca comes over to examine the tanks, Dec'll lend his Operate d12 to the procedure.
"If you haven't found anything earth-shattering, we need to go. Before the earth shatters," Xiùlán tells Dec. "It's getting super hot in here."
Dec

Dec shrugs. "Yeah, but if we leave now we haven't really solved the problem. I mean, that's okay with me - I've already got what I need to turn this into a profit center - but Mel wants to save the puppies or whatever."
"This isn't the only room in the facility," Xiùlán points out to him. "Better access might be elsewhere."
Becca glances to Mel for permission, then once he gives his nod, she makes her way at a trot over to where Dec is; she's less calm than she looks: Mel may have said it's okay, but she still feels like there's a billion ants all over her, she just hates the fact she's damn near swimming in radiation...

"Yeah, let me look at it," she informs Dec...

(and she'll do her little magic)
Spoiler: Show
Stakes: Pre-War Machinery d10 + This Isn't Your Father's Weaponized Nuclear Goo d12 + Radiation Badge d6 12 [6,2,6] no opportunities.

Becca's Roll: Mental d8 + Know d10 + Ship's Mechanic d8 + In Tune With Machinery d6 + Dec's Lent Operate d12 12 [2,8,3,4,4] no jinxes. That does not raise the stakes, but a single PP spend will get you there. I assume at this juncture you'd pay that, but I don't want to make that call for you.

Becca quickly but efficiently begins examining the tanks and studying their readouts. It's tantalizing, bubbling at the surface. She can almost see what is happening . . .

OOC: Let me know if you want to spend that PP to succeed and I'll continue the description of what you discover.




The Katayev Ranch :: North Ridge/Drill Site [Veritas]
Veritas Jones

Veritas lies where he is for a long moment, his ears ringing, his body hurting all over. He can't hear anything more than the racehorse pounding of his own heart. He's still full of adrenalin, and his consciousness slowly becomes aware of that. With a heavy groan, he gets himself moving, knowing that he needs to take advantage of his adrenalized state to claw his way out of whatever he's in.

For now, Mike gets no response on comms.
In the aftermath of the explosion, the world is freakishly quiet inside the hazmat suit, but Veritas can hear his own breathing and the unobtrusive chirp of his comm waiting to pass along messages, so he knows the blast didn't rupture his hearing. Near him everything is razed to ground level, but the farther he looks the taller the stumps get, showing the spherical shape of the explosion that took out sixty yards of forest. Off in the distance, he can make out the Wanderer hovering safely if somewhat erratically pretty much right where he told Mike to take it. One engine is bleeding normal, the other has a dull orange glow that shouldn't be there.

Up the hill, the drill site is buried under a level blanket of dust and mulch with only the barest dip to indicate where the hole should be. If things fell out there like they did where he is standing, the covering blanket is probably a good meter and a half deep.

His comm chirps with a new incoming message.



The Liúlàng Zhě [Mike]
Mike

Mike sighed in relief at hearing Mel's now knowing the inside team is okay (so far). "Judging by the Blue explosion, I think V took out the pulse cannon," Mike replied bring the ship around to return to the drill site. "I don't know if he's okay yet."
OOC: I'm going to act for Mike here since no dice are needed and he's reportedly going to be incommunicado for a day or two yet.

While he's talking to Mel and surveying the destruction below, the cockpit light goes red and Chākǒu pipes up, "Two shuttles incoming from the direction of Martinsburg. They entered our outer sensor range at full burn and are not slowing down."

Mike gets on the comms and alerts Mel and Veritas to the new possible threat.

"Also," Chākǒu adds, "Miss Billie is awake. She has figured out the release mechanisms for her restraints but has not yet managed to turn on her suit comms. Shall I engage them for her? She has already uttered several swears that were not previously in my database."

Over the shipwide channel a voice suddenly rages, " C O N S T A N T I N E ! "

"Nevermind," Chākǒu says quietly.
 

ncc2010

Blue Blaze Irregular
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Episode One: The Ranch
Act 4; Scene 1

Undervault Compound :: Entry Point [Xiùlán, Mel, Becca, Dec]

Spoiler: Show
Stakes: Pre-War Machinery d10 + This Isn't Your Father's Weaponized Nuclear Goo d12 + Radiation Badge d6 12 [6,2,6] no opportunities.

Becca's Roll: Mental d8 + Know d10 + Ship's Mechanic d8 + In Tune With Machinery d6 + Dec's Lent Operate d12 12 [2,8,3,4,4] no jinxes. That does not raise the stakes, but a single PP spend will get you there. I assume at this juncture you'd pay that, but I don't want to make that call for you.

Becca quickly but efficiently begins examining the tanks and studying their readouts. It's tantalizing, bubbling at the surface. She can almost see what is happening . . .

OOC: Let me know if you want to spend that PP to succeed and I'll continue the description of what you discover.
OOC: Yes, we will. Thanks.
 
Top Bottom