IC [Firefly] Leaf on the Wind

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Mel follows quickly after Becca, though he's more heavyset and a little slower. He takes in the room, then his eyes turn to the computer database. "Dec--well, I imagine you may have already done so, but if you haven't, we want to copy everything in those databases. Both as leverage against whoever's ultimately behind this and because it might contain a cure for the radiation here. There are hands back at the ranch who definitely need and, if we're unlucky, we might need it too."
 

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Dec

Mel follows quickly after Becca, though he's more heavyset and a little slower. He takes in the room, then his eyes turn to the computer database. "Dec--well, I imagine you may have already done so, but if you haven't, we want to copy everything in those databases. Both as leverage against whoever's ultimately behind this and because it might contain a cure for the radiation here. There are hands back at the ranch who definitely need and, if we're unlucky, we might need it too."
Dec holds up his Cortex handset and responds to Mel. "Already done. We can control the system from my handset, too."
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
Episode One: The Ranch
Act 4; Scene 1

Undervault Compound :: Entry Point [Xiùlán, Mel, Becca, Dec]
Becca glances to Mel for permission, then once he gives his nod, she makes her way at a trot over to where Dec is; she's less calm than she looks: Mel may have said it's okay, but she still feels like there's a billion ants all over her, she just hates the fact she's damn near swimming in radiation...

"Yeah, let me look at it," she informs Dec...

(and she'll do her little magic)
OOC: Yes, we will. Thanks.
All in a rush everything comes together with horrifying clarity. These weren't static tanks, they were dynamic refining tanks. Death goo was pumped in, processed, and pumped back out.

Becca followed the intake lines and the bleed lines connecting the tanks to one another. Despite the fact that the atmo outside the tanks was sick with radiation, the levels in the tanks remained steady and both the tanks and the lines were adequately shielded and intact. Her suit sensors confirmed her suspicions.

There was no leak here. Someone had intentionally flooded this section of the compound with radiation.
 

ncc2010

Blue Blaze Irregular
Validated User
Becca gasped slightly, her mind trying to put together the reason as to why someone would do anything like this...and coming up with nothing. Still, she reported her findings to Mel, her analysis becoming just one long stream of consciousness tied together into a single word that ran out only when her own air did, and then she slowed herself down, caught her breath and repeated the important bits.
 

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
Veritas Jones

As he gets clear of the blast zone, Veritas checks his messages and hits Mike up on the comm. "I'm here, Mike. That was... fun. Registering the incoming rustlers. Get the Wanderer clear, I'll cover the hole, let's see what they're up to. May need you to make a strafing run once they're grounded, so stay frosty."

He makes his way towards the hole in the ground that Mel and the others went down, intending to cover its entrance. He's checking his radiation badge as he goes, as well as spot searching his suit for integrity.
 
Last edited:

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Mel says to Becca, "Is this something you can fix or should we all just aim to clear out of here?" To Dec, he says, "Can you see if there's anything about a cure for this radiation in all that data? We can figure out the rest when we get to the surface, but I don't want to come back down here a second time if we haven't found a cure."
 

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Dec

Dec, he says, "Can you see if there's anything about a cure for this radiation in all that data? We can figure out the rest when we get to the surface, but I don't want to come back down here a second time if we haven't found a cure."
Dec shrugs in response to Mel's question. "I can always look," and he does, sorting through the information copied to his handset.

OOC: Mental d10 + Know d10 + Child Prodigy d8 + Salvaged Cortex Handset d8 = 14 [4, 10, 3, 4]. Dec'll drop up to 2 PP on that to succeed, and will roll a BDH die or two if it would help.
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
Episode One: The Ranch
Act 4; Scene 1


Undervault Compound :: Entry Point [Xiùlán, Mel, Becca, Dec]
Mel follows quickly after Becca, though he's more heavyset and a little slower. He takes in the room, then his eyes turn to the computer database. "Dec--well, I imagine you may have already done so, but if you haven't, we want to copy everything in those databases. Both as leverage against whoever's ultimately behind this and because it might contain a cure for the radiation here. There are hands back at the ranch who definitely need and, if we're unlucky, we might need it too."
Dec



Dec holds up his Cortex handset and responds to Mel. "Already done. We can control the system from my handset, too."
Becca gasped slightly, her mind trying to put together the reason as to why someone would do anything like this...and coming up with nothing. Still, she reported her findings to Mel, her analysis becoming just one long stream of consciousness tied together into a single word that ran out only when her own air did, and then she slowed herself down, caught her breath and repeated the important bits.
Dec

"Great," Dec says. "So it wasn't an accident. Somebody wanted this place unusable."
Mel says to Becca, "Is this something you can fix or should we all just aim to clear out of here?" To Dec, he says, "Can you see if there's anything about a cure for this radiation in all that data? We can figure out the rest when we get to the surface, but I don't want to come back down here a second time if we haven't found a cure."
Dec

Dec shrugs in response to Mel's question. "I can always look," and he does, sorting through the information copied to his handset.

OOC: Mental d10 + Know d10 + Child Prodigy d8 + Salvaged Cortex Handset d8 = 14 [4, 10, 3, 4]. Dec'll drop up to 2 PP on that to succeed, and will roll a BDH die or two if it would help.
OOC: No need for a roll here.

The data Dec has is exclusively telemetry for the tanks themselves and the control commands are also for the tanks themselves. There is no other data to be had about a cure or otherwise. This isn't a networked system and only communicates summarized outgoing data. No data is coming in from farther away than the tanks themselves.

Presumably you could find some sort of safe container and bleed off a sample of the fluid to be studied elsewhere, but there is no practical information in the data collected as to its nature beyond the halflife data and that is included mostly because it seems to affect the internal pressure of the tanks that the terminals are monitoring.



Becca nodded very slowly. "Yeah,," she said, just as slowly, "I can fix this, I think, but not with all this rad."
OOC: @ Everyone: You have thusfar explored the tiniest and remotest part of this compound. The room you are in now represents the northernost point of the compound. The airlock that Mel and Becca found to the southeast leads into the science compound (where you may or may not find answers depending on how actively those trying to keep this place secret went about purging such answers within the compound itself). The airlock also opens on the next leg of corridor that leads off to the command structure of the compound.

Finding a cure is possible.

Finding a way to stop further escaping radiation is possible.

To be clear, you aren't particularly close to either of those things, but both remain within reach.

You do have enough information, including hard data and physical coordinates to pass along to the right people (if you can manage to contact the 'right' right people) to at least walk away knowing something will be done by interested parties with enough resources to properly throw at the problem.

In that scenario, evacuation will take precedence over a cure, which will keep more folk from getting sick but will not help those already sick. A physical sample of the contents of one of those tanks might be used to fabricate a cure if you can get that to someone knowledgeable enough to fabricate one first.

What you do is absolutely up to you guys, I just wanted to be clear that the 'dungeon crawl' approach is not a requirement to getting there.






The Katayev Ranch :: North Ridge/Drill Site [Veritas]
Veritas Jones

As he gets clear of the blast zone, Veritas checks his messages and hits Mike up on the comm. "I'm here, Mike. That was... fun. Registering the incoming rustlers. Get the Wanderer clear, I'll cover the hole, let's see what they're up to. May need you to make a strafing run once they're grounded, so stay frosty."

He makes his way towards the hole in the ground that Mel and the others went down, intending to cover its entrance. He's checking his radiation badge as he goes, as well as spot searching his suit for integrity.
Veritas' badge is still mostly green with a yellow leading edge. Trudging up to the drill hole requires him to move into full view of the shuttles, but they buzz straight past him overhead without slowing.

They don't appear to be chasing the Wanderer either.



The Liúlàng Zhě [Mike]
"Gorramn it, Constantine!" Billie is screaming and pounding on the bulkhead door outside the cockpit. "Open up!"
 
Top Bottom