• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC [Firefly] Leaf on the Wind

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
Episode One: The Ranch
Act 5; Scene 1



The Katayev Ranch [Xiùlán, Mel, Dec, Veritas, Mike, Becca]
When the Wanderer touches down at the ranch, Jan's men are already there in an uneasy standoff with Jake and several of the ranch hands, though no one has guns out yet. Miranda quickly confirms the right of Jan's people to be there to Jake and the others while Maggie rushes the cure to the quarantine barn for Amy.

Within an hour of their return to the ranch, Chākǒu reports a corvette class Alliance patrol vessel taking up geosynchronous orbit over the ranch. The vessel's registry lists her as the Dakota, and her status as fully commissioned and on active deployment.

Within fifteen minutes of the Dakota taking up orbit, a pair of short range Alliance gunships begin flying a regular patrol pattern in-atmo over the ranch.

OOC: I'm intentionally leaving this kind of open ended to give you guys some wiggle room as to how much you want to involve yourselves.
 

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Mel asks the crew, "So, do you think it's worth putting in a call to the Alliance, explaining that Miranda has no quarrel with them, but is clearing out under pressure from the Triads and trying to negotiate with them to hold their fire until after the ranch is evacuated?"
 

camk4evr

Registered User
Validated User
Mel asks the crew, "So, do you think it's worth putting in a call to the Alliance, explaining that Miranda has no quarrel with them, but is clearing out under pressure from the Triads and trying to negotiate with them to hold their fire until after the ranch is evacuated?"
Mike

Mike shrugged. "I don't think Miranda will be able to keep the property either way, Boss," he said, "and I know we can't take that on. But it probably won't hurt to negotiate." Then he muttered under his breath, "I think."
 
Last edited:

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"I don't trust the purplebellies to use that as anything but an excuse to strike quickly," Xiùlán opines bitterly.
 

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Mel turns to Dec and says, "Here's a challenge for you: Hack the Alliances's communications and find out what they're planning. Think you can pull it off? If you can, we'll have a better idea of what course of action to take."
 

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Dec

Mel turns to Dec and says, "Here's a challenge for you: Hack the Alliances's communications and find out what they're planning. Think you can pull it off? If you can, we'll have a better idea of what course of action to take."
Dec looks at Mel honestly surprised. "I mean, obviously I can do it. I'm just surprised you're encouraging it." Dec heads into the Wanderer, hooks his custom Cortex handset into the Command Communications Suite, and sets to work.

OOC: Dec probably needs to use the Wanderer to pull this off, so I'm using Systems instead of Mental.

Systems d6 + Operate d12 + Hard Luck Case d4 (Dec didn't see a lot of Alliance military codes in the hood on Persephone, + 1 PP) + Salvaged Cortex Handset d8 + Command Communications Suite d8 = 18, with a jinx [1, 12, 4, 6, 4]. d12 loves me. I'll spend whatever it takes to succeed on that, down to 1 PP (so 4 PP and a bunch of BDH dice to spend).
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
Episode One: The Ranch
Act 5; Scene 1



The Katayev Ranch [Xiùlán, Mel, Dec, Veritas, Mike, Becca]
Mel asks the crew, "So, do you think it's worth putting in a call to the Alliance, explaining that Miranda has no quarrel with them, but is clearing out under pressure from the Triads and trying to negotiate with them to hold their fire until after the ranch is evacuated?"
Mike

Mike shrugged. "I don't think Miranda will be able to keep the property either way, Boss," he said, "and I know we can't take that on. But it probably won't hurt to negotiate." Then he muttered under his breath, "I think."
"I don't trust the purplebellies to use that as anything but an excuse to strike quickly," Xiùlán opines bitterly.
Mel turns to Dec and says, "Here's a challenge for you: Hack the Alliances's communications and find out what they're planning. Think you can pull it off? If you can, we'll have a better idea of what course of action to take."
Dec

Dec looks at Mel honestly surprised. "I mean, obviously I can do it. I'm just surprised you're encouraging it." Dec heads into the Wanderer, hooks his custom Cortex handset into the Command Communications Suite, and sets to work.

OOC: Dec probably needs to use the Wanderer to pull this off, so I'm using Systems instead of Mental.

Systems d6 + Operate d12 + Hard Luck Case d4 (Dec didn't see a lot of Alliance military codes in the hood on Persephone, + 1 PP) + Salvaged Cortex Handset d8 + Command Communications Suite d8 = 18, with a jinx [1, 12, 4, 6, 4]. d12 loves me. I'll spend whatever it takes to succeed on that, down to 1 PP (so 4 PP and a bunch of BDH dice to spend).
Spoiler: Show
Military Encryption d10 + Tightbeam Communication d12 4 [2,2] no opportunities. I'm going to pass on that jinx, but that's an ES, so take another d12 BDHD. :D

Dec all but trips and falls into the communication stream from the Dakota to a moving receiver that seems to be leaving the Last Stand. The connection is so easily obtained, it almost seems suspicious, but triple checking its security and the multiple levels of redundancies woven into it, he comes to the conclusion that he's just that good.

The communication stream is coded to Alliance lieutenant commander Jan Kayto, and is written in an odd cipher even after he gets past the layers of basic military encryption. There is no specific ident associated with the mobile unit the ship is communicating with, but once everything is unscrambled, Dec recognizes Bean struggling to mute his cockney accent.

Dakota: We are geo-synched with the facility and have gunships performing in-atmo flyovers.
Dakota: No one gets in or out we don't see it.
Mobile: Facility status?
Dakota: Nominal Power. Nothing to indicate feed to the reactors.
Mobile: Y'know what t'do if it even hints at lightin' up.
Dakota: We're locked.
Dakota: Is the boss secure?
Mobile: Aye.

Transmission ends there.
 

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Dec

Dec puts the recorded message onto his handset and then heads out to find Mel and the others. He plays the decoded transmission for them. "Looks like they don't want anybody playing with their toys," Dec says.
 

camk4evr

Registered User
Validated User
Mike

"Da-shiong bao-jah-shr duh la doo-tze," Mike said, surprised at this turn of events. "I did not expect Jan to be a purplebelly. Did he infiltrate the Triad or was it the other way 'round, I wonder?"
 

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Xiùlán raises an eyebrow. "I think I've lost track of the number of parties that have been played at this point. I'm not even sure if it includes us, or includes us enough times to cancel out."
 
Top Bottom