• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Firefly or Serenity plus Supplements?

gatharion

Validated User
So there's the motion that the next game I run should be Serenity.

I own the Serenity rpg and the adventure book and Out in the Black. I think it's a system that's... okay. A little clunky here and there (like how to run ship stats vs. pilot stats) and the tracking of damage, but mostly serviceable.

I heard the Big Damn Heroes supplement added some elements from the TV show and cleaned up the rules a bit. Is it worth trying to track down?

How about the Six Shooters & Spaceships supplement?

Of course, if I'm only "so-so" on the Serenity rpg and considering buying supplements... am I better off just getting the new Firefly rpg instead?

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I have done both. If the original Cortex feel of Serenity is working for you, then Firefly's flavor of Cortex is a great way to go. We will be shifting my Serenity campaign over to Firefly in the next couple of months (We don't meet that often). Firefly plays more like a conventional game according to my players (I don't see that, but that is what they say) and to them seems easier and more intuitive (fewer I need to check that moments or memorizing exceptions to normal flow). YMMV, but I think it is a clearer and better way to go.

Last edited:

Monica Valentinelli

Validated User
So there's the motion that the next game I run should be Serenity.

I own the Serenity rpg and the adventure book and Out in the Black. I think it's a system that's... okay. A little clunky here and there (like how to run ship stats vs. pilot stats) and the tracking of damage, but mostly serviceable.

I heard the Big Damn Heroes supplement added some elements from the TV show and cleaned up the rules a bit. Is it worth trying to track down?

How about the Six Shooters & Spaceships supplement?

Of course, if I'm only "so-so" on the Serenity rpg and considering buying supplements... am I better off just getting the new Firefly rpg instead?
The Serenity RPG is based on the film and the system for the core game and all its supplements are what's known as Cortex Classic. The system was revised with Big, Damn Heroes. If you like this system, I would suggest picking that up.

The Firefly RPG isn't compatible with the Serenity RPG for many reasons, including licensing. We did, however, offer an Episode written by Margaret Weis called "Wedding Planners" with Cortex Classic rules to run it as a love letter to the fans. Included in that bundle, on DTRPG.com, is the core rulebook for Classic Revised.

If you want to try Plus, I would suggest picking up the Serenity Crew and Shooting Fish PDFs on DTRPG.com for a basic, introductory scenario.

Hope that helps!

Gavken

Vote Cheesy Aardvarks !
Validated User
I found the original Serenity system clunky and the rules very badly organised. I would hope that the new game has cleared all this up. but I can't comment as I haven't got a copy of the new one yet.

loconius

Validated User
I've played the serenity game system, and while I had fun, I really like the new firefly rules! I've played the system before and love it! You won't be disappointed honestly. If your only so so with the serenity game then you really should check it. The main rule book has everything you need and an entire adventure to play with your players, plus all the extra adventures you can get in addition if you want.

Top Bottom