OOC Firefly - The Path of the Righteous, Episode 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Here's the OOC thread for the second episode of our ongoing Firefly campaign, based around the adventures of the crew of the Righteous.

The current players are:
Shawn_Hagen playing Mattie Sullivan Ross, Ship's Captain/Owner
El Jefe playing Samuel Wade Garrett, First Mate
ncc2010 playing Brianna O'Sullivan, Pilot
Muskrat playing Meizhi Lindquist, Ship's Engineer

Please re-post your character sheets here and use this thread for out-of-character discussion. Please do not make your rolls in this thread; use spoiler blocks in the IC thread.

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Here's the Righteous herself:

Engines d10 Hull d8 Systems d6

Distinctions:
Dragonfly Class Transport
Run Silent: Step back Engines to step up Systems when trying to remain undetected.
Turbo: Spend a Plot Point to create an Afterburners d10 Asset. Each time you include Afterburners in a dice pool, step it back after you roll.

Defanged Tiger d8
Mean, Lean, Computing Machine: spend a Plot Point at the beginning of a Timed Action involving your computer system. For each of your rolls during the Timed Action, you may reroll any die that comes up 1 rather than accept a Plot Point for the die. If it comes up one a second time, it may not be rerolled.
Hear Me Roar: Spend a Plot Point to create an I'm a Mean Ship, Rawr! d8 Asset when trying to bluff your way out of a situation.

Smugglers Delight d8
Hidey Holes: When a Crewmember is trying to conceal cargo, add the ship's Hull die to the roll.
Covert: When making a Sneak roll with the ship, the pilot may spend one Plot Point to reroll.

Assets
Medsuite D8
Maneuvering Thrusters D8

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Name: Meizhi Lindquist
Character concept: Space brat ship’s mechanic
Role: Mechanic
Home planet: N/A
Religion: Christian (non-practicing)
Height: 5 ft. 6 in.
Weight: 130 lbs.
Appearance: Meizhi is a wiry young woman of Asian appearance. As the ship’s mechanic, she usually wears her hair pulled back in a pony tail and a pair of coveralls. When she’s actively working on something, she wears a military-style bandolier with her tools on it--and often when she’s not working on something, if she simply forgets to turn it off. She’s also often covered in engine grease. Generally, she tends to be more concerned with getting things done than how she looks. She tends to be more interested in things and ideas than people, which can sometimes come across off as being stand-offish or stuck-up.

Attributes
Mental: d10
Physical: d8
Social: d6

Skills
• Fight: 1d6
Fix: 1d10
o Engines: 1d6
Fly: 1d8
Know: 1d10
o Current Events: 1d6
o Technology: 1d6
• Labor: 1d6
Operate: 1d10
o Shipboard Computers: 1d6
• Shoot: 1d6
Treat: 1d6

Distinctions
Born in the Black d8: You were born and raised in a space ship or on a space station. It feels natural to you and you can't imagine why anyone would want to live on a planet---they're dirty, stinky, have all sorts of creepy-crawlies, and there's no walls to keep you safe.
o Gain 1 Plot Point when you roll a d4 instead of a d8.
o Grounded: Any time you are on a planet, get 1 PP for taking or stepping up a complication representing your discomfort on the ground.
o Skills: Fix, Fly, Operate
Know It All d8
o Skills: Fix, Know, Treat
Ship’s Mechanic d8
o Zen & the Art of Engine Maintenance: Spend 1 PP at the beginning of a Timed Action involving ship repair or upgrades. For each of your rolls during the Timed Action, you may reroll any die that comes up 1 instead of accepting a Plot Point for that die.
o Skills: Fix, Know, Operate

Signature Assets
Trusty Tool Kit d8: Meizhi has been repairing and fiddling with space ships since she was a little girl. Over that time, she’s built up a kit of tools that she’s grown quite comfortable with, in some cases modifying them to better suit her.

Extras
Plot Points: 1
Episodes Earned:
Episodes Unspent:
Big Damn Hero Dice Pool:
Active Complications:

Character History
Meizhi Linduist is a space brat--someone born and raised on in the Black on a space ship or space station. Her parents--Orson Linquist (her father) and Xiulan Lu (her mother)--operated a small trading ship together before the Unification War, engaging in both legal trade and smuggling. Meizhi has never known anything but living on a space ship and feels very comfortable on them--far more comfortable than she does on a planet. In fact, she can’t fathom why anyone would to live up on them--they’re dirty, with all sorts of bugs, and they stink. She’s convinced humanity’s future is in space and that planetary settlements are holding humanity back--and is very vocal about saying so.

From a very young age, Meizhi was both a voracious reader and had a fascination with machines, both encouraged by her parents. She began learning how to repair their ship’s systems almost as soon as she could walk. She is thus, despite her relatively young age, a highly experienced ship’s mechanic. She also read almost everything she could get her hands on, often reading ahead of her age. Despite having little formal schooling, due to her irregular background, she has managed to become highly self-educated. She is also highly opinionated and isn’t afraid of sharing her ideas. She is fascinated with technological innovation and transhumanist ideas and is a vocal advocate for these things. Due to her parents’ experiences in the Unification War (see below), she also is deeply interested in politics and despises the Alliance--and isn’t shy about sharing that either.

Meizhi was still a kid when the Unification War broke out. Her parents sided with the Independents, supplying them with everything from food to arms, often smuggling them past Alliance lines. A few years into the war, Meizhi’s mother Xiulan decided to take the next step and enrolled in the Independent military while her husband Orson continued to captain the family ship and raised Meizhi on his own. When the war was over, Meizhi was eager to see her mother again, but Xiulan came back from broken and bitter from the war. She was never the same and the strain eventually lead her parents to divorce. Orson still loves Xiulan and remains concerned for her well-being, but can’t stand living with the bitter husk of the woman he married. Meizhi’s parents remain on friendly, if distant terms. Meizhi blames the Alliance for her mother’s trauma and her parents’ divorce. In addition to opposing the Alliance’s political principles, she has a personal grudge against them.

Wanting to get away from these bitter memories, when she was old enough, Meizhi moved out on her own and began working as a mechanic independent of her father, working on different ships and space stations. Before she struck out on her own though, Xiulan taught her daughter how to throw a punch and shoot a gun, so she could be sure that her little girl could keep herself safe. Meizhi stays in touch with her parents, but enjoys the freedom of not having her father hovering over her protectively and getting to explore the ‘Verse and see and learn about new places.

Spoiler: Show

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, should we play this as Meizhi already being part of the Righteous' crew, recently hired to replace Chet?

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, should we play this as Meizhi already being part of the Righteous' crew, recently hired to replace Chet?
That'd be my suggestion. She might well, of course, have a preexisting relationship with one of the crew.

Shawn_Hagen

Shawnya the Evil?
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Mattie Sullivan Ross (Of the Londinium Sullivan Rosses)
http://meago.deviantart.com/art/SS2011-Yonka-275559590
14 Years Old
Mattie's black hair is short, and has green eyes. She is a little under five feet tall, slim, pretty enough, though no great beauty. She dresses reasonably well as one would expect of someone with her money.

Mental D8
Physical D6
Social D10

Filthy Rich D8
Roll D4 Instead of D8 for 1PP
Leverage - Double Influence when offering a bribe or threatening financial ruin
Only the Best - Spend 1PP to create a D8 asset when you acquire or make use of new technology, high fashion or gourmet food

Caring D8
Heal the Wounded Heart - Spend 1 PP to step back another character's emotional or relationship based complicaiton
Go the Extra Mile - While you are taking care of an incapacitated or a grief-stricken character, you or that character may reroll any dice that come up 1s instead of taking plot points.

Wet Behind the Ears D8
Easy Mark - Gain 1PP when you are tricked by more worldly folk or whenever someone takes advantage of your naivete
Optimist - Spend 1 PP to double treat when helping a crew member recover from a mental complicatin

Know D8 (Economics)
Drive D10 (Specialty Horses)
Fly D6
Fix D8
Focus D10 (Specialty Grit)
Influence D10 (Specialty Polite Society)
Treat D8
Fight D6

Assets
Dragonfly 'Zhèngyí Zh Nù' (Righteous Wrath) D8

Spoiler: Show

I won't hear anyone say anything bad about mama and papa. They were rich, but they cared about people. Mama did charity and papa made sure to help those that needed it, especially soldiers from the war who were down on their luck. He said it was the Christian thing to do. Papa was an alliance solider in the war, but he was back behind the lines... Sorry, it is hard to tell this story. Like I said, Papa hired those who needed help, and it was one of those men, name of Tom Chaney, who killed mama and papa. There were lots of stories about why Tom killed them, but i know it was greed, pure and simple. I left the school on Londinium and traveled all the way out to the rim, to make sure Mama and Papa were properly taken care of and sent back home.

On that small moon the Sheriff told me that it as likely Tom had lit out into the Black, where none but smuggler and criminals would ever meet him. The sheriff was not very good at his job and I told him that to his face. He actually laughed and agreed and told me I would be better off hiring bounty hunters to find Tom Chaney than in trusting to the law. What sort of people are on the rim that think that way? It is a terrible place and I wish Papa and Mama never came.

Everyone told me to go home, to go back to school, to get ready to run the family business when I was old enough. I could jut post a bounty and leave it at that. But a bounty hunter would just be interested in the money, a bounty hunter would not be seeking out Tom Chaney for justice. I remembered what the sheriff said about only smugglers and criminals likely to ever see Tom Chaney. If that was so, I would travel with smugglers. And to make sure they behaved properly I would buy the ship and hire them, making sure they knew they worked for me.

There is a lot of space out there, but I know I will find Tom Chaney.

Last edited:

ncc2010

Blue Blaze Irregular
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Brianna O'Sullivan

Born on Beaumonde, Brianna could have been a beauty queen at least at the local level before she was eighteen, but...even though puberty was kind, she developed a specific itch early, and this wasn't the best for her. Even though she made it through a few contests, she was eventually caught in flagrante delicto with one of the judges, which ruined her chances of winning any sort of competition...and building a reputation that was at least half-true.

At least partially disgraced, Brianna managed to secure (under circumstances that were always, in some corners considered...questionable...) an appointment to the Alliance Deep Space Academy. Passing that, and when the War started, Bri had been placed in the Alliance Flight Academy, and made her own call - the rules and regulations she was learning just felt forced, and she found her pace and calling flying for the Independents. She became known, not only for her manner of relieving stress, but as one of the best pilots to call on in a pinch, whether it be a surface drop for troops, aerospace combat, or distance hauling through unsettled space. When the War ended, she found herself without a job, and it took nearly a year to work a pilot's license back from the Alliance, even with the general amnesty offered for many of the Browncoats.

When the War ended, Brianna was out of a job, and even with that amnesty, there wasn't a place for a pilot with her qualifications. She knocked about for a few years before finally managing to get hired on in a permanent position aboard the Righteous Wrath. Frankly, she thinks that the name is hilarious, and has settled into one of the best platonic relationships in her life...perhaps the only true platonic relationship, with an old friend, Chet.

Physical d8
Mental d8
Social d8

Ship's Pilot d8
  • Gain one Plot Point when you roll a d4 instead of a d8.
  • Never Tried That Before: if you replace your Fly or Operate skill with a d4 for the next roll, gain a Big Damn Hero die equal to that skill's normal rating if your roll succeeds.

Free Spirit d8
  • Unbound: Spend one Plot Point to double Physical when attempting to escape from bonds or a cell.

Shadows of the War d8

Drive d6
Fight d8
Fly d12 (Transports, Smuggler's Routes)
Focus d10
Move d6
Notice d8
Operate d10 (EM Countermeasures)
Sneak d8

all other skills at d4

Signature Asset: Lucky Rabbit's Foot d6.

Last edited:

Shawn_Hagen

Shawnya the Evil?
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, do people want Mattie to do the negotiating? She can roll 3D10 + 1d8 if she threatens financial ruin. She is going to be a little brash about it, might not make them any friends as it make Mattie appear as a dilettante who does not really need the job :)

JaeFru

Validated User
Agh, is it too late to throw Magda back into things? I was out of town and missed that we were up and running agian.

ncc2010

Blue Blaze Irregular
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, do people want Mattie to do the negotiating? She can roll 3D10 + 1d8 if she threatens financial ruin. She is going to be a little brash about it, might not make them any friends as it make Mattie appear as a dilettante who does not really need the job :)
Do you really want someone like Brianna negotiating for this cargo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom