• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

OOC Firefly - The Path of the Righteous [Second Thread]

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'll be sad to see the game end, but I can see the logic on wanting to end on a high point.

I like the One Last Job theme. Something that brings together various loose ends from other episodes, like Blue Sun and Lynch. Maybe bring back one or two of the long-term former PCs and NPCs, like Wiley and Becca.

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Is there a ‘back door’ off of the ship?

Or do I make one with a PP?
You could open one of the EVA hatches and get out that way. No need for a PP; they're well established to already exist in fiction.

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
*small panic* Let's not start talking about the plan to screw the Triad in the Triad's own home before we check for bugs, yes?

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
That level of disdain doesn't include room taps. Not with this craptastic 'you are prisoners, not guests' furniture.

Plus, shenanigans, amirite?

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC: Yeah, I was wondering about that. I was going through the book the other night and saw a similar trigger -- I think Eidetic Memory trigger on Child Prodigy -- it lets you do the same thing with treating Know as a BDHD and it caps it at once per scene. I know we're winding down, but I'm fine with that cap if that works for you. Makes tactical thinking more important, etc . . .
That's fine - it actually makes it a little underpowered compared to Eidetic Memory, but you making hacking checks often enough that the difference is probably notional.

There are actually a bunch of these sort of Use-a-skill-as-a-pseudo-BDH-die triggers (e.g., Blood, Toil, Tears, and Sweat; Got it in One; etc.), and they're all over the map in terms of how they're balanced against each other, and don't even use consistent language despite mechanically doing exactly the same thing. This game system would easily be 25% better if Triggers were consistent and balanced.

It would be less varied, but I think they'd do well to adopt a checklist style:

1. Describe fictional flavor linked to Distinction or Signature Asset
2. Select a Benefit - Step up or double [Skill or Attribute]/Gain a PP/Create a d8 Asset/Step Back a Complication
3. Select a Drawback or Limitation - Add or Step Up a Complication/Spend a PP/Only useable once per scene/Step Back an Attribute for a scene

I'd probably entirely dispense with the pseudo BDH triggers, but there are probably some other Benefits and Drawbacks that could be added there.

Last edited:

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
Meizhi wasn't really envisioning Lev taking the extreme measures he is--which may move the Triads' time of attack even more ... :eek:
In fairness, I was envisioning a quick snatch and run and collect Jenny at the bottom of the stairs. Then Orokos kicked me into the soprano range and . . .

. . . well, things have gotten a little stupid with Orokos' followup roundhouse to my noodle-noggin.

And me without a two headed black goat to sacrifice.

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You should always keep a spare two-headed black goat around the house, just in case.

Top Bottom