IC [Firefly] The Path of the Righteous (Thread 2)

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Kennith

Looking over everything in there, Kennith lets out a long whistle, "This is some real overhaul territory, full on five guys with bad belts working on it level. So should we start tearing things out here, or wait until we're out of imminent danger to get working?"

Once Kapoor comes back, he gets to work on hauling the stuff over towards the engine, opening the boxes up, and getting things ready to parse out.

"Well the big problem with getting up space defenses," Kennith says, "You're going to need some major overhauls to the hull to get things wired up, aiming equipment, gas exchange, and all of this stuff that's going to need some major engineering. Don't think we'll be able to get things set up any sooner than this engine running." He says giving it a slight kick. "Personally think we should get the Righteous to start towing us out of the area to at least give us some time to do something worthwhile. Or at least get us on the clock until we reach someplace with a safe harbor."
Meizhi nods. "Yeah, you're right--we should get underway. Even a slow limp would be better than just setting here. I wasn't so much thinking of setting up new defenses as workin' with what we have. The Righteous has those EMP guns we managed to swipe. We should just make sure someone's on watch in case another ship approaches us." She looks to Kapoor to see what he thinks and what he knows about the Kairili's defenses.

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Jenny follows along with Bella, staying quiet to avoid setting Drakewell off more.

Xadun

Mystical Dilettante
Validated User
"Shitfire," says Meizhi. She looks an Kennith. "It's gonna take us days to fix this mess--in the mean time, we're sitting ducks." She takes out her comm and texts Bella, The engine is well and truly fucked. It'll take me days to fix, assuming we have all the parts or I can jerryrig a solution if we don't. In the mean time, if someone is aiming to do a pick up, we're sitting ducks. Maybe we should rig some defenses?

When Kapoor comes in, she smiles at him and says, "Thanks. Yeah, seems like things are gettin' a bit crazy." She sighs. "It's gonna be days at best before I get this engine up and runnin' again. In the mean time ..." She pauses a moment to think how to phrase the question "... maybe it ain't likely, but it's always possible pirates or, worse, Reavers will find us and we won't be able to run. How's this ship set for defenses?"
Storming down the corridor towards the Kairali crew quarters, Bella hits her comm. "Whatever comes, the Righteous has us covered,Meizhi! Ah'll handle anything like that. You just do your job an' get this crate moving, Dong ma? Ah think things are gettin' bumpy, an' ah don' mean atmo turbulence." The Captain doesn't mean to be short with Meizhi, but it feels like everyone wants her attention and everything is spinning out of her hands.

Lazarus hears a commotion on the next deck, sounds like Tran and the other crew are having a disagreement. He draws his pistol and quietly makes his way to the 4th deck. He get's on his comm, "This is Lazarus. Heard Tran having a disagreement with some of the other crew and working my way to back him up if needed. What's your orders Captain?"
"Go up there but DO NOTHING. On our way." Bella growls into the comm. All Ah wanted was to appear professional an' dependable an' Ah've barely done nothin' but fight goddamn fires since Ah got here!

The captain picks up her pace.

Last edited:

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Episode 16: Adrift
Act II, Scene 2a
Crew: Kennith, Meizhi
Kairali Crew: Kapoor

OOC: Due to the difficulty of quoting posts from locked threads, I'm not quoting all of the relevant posts as I usually would.

Meizhi nods. "Yeah, you're right--we should get underway. Even a slow limp would be better than just setting here. I wasn't so much thinking of setting up new defenses as workin' with what we have. The Righteous has those EMP guns we managed to swipe. We should just make sure someone's on watch in case another ship approaches us." She looks to Kapoor to see what he thinks and what he knows about the Kairili's defenses.
Kapoor tilts his head to one side, "Kairali isn't technically armed. It's a civilian bulk transport, and lots of shipyards don't like armed vessels. We might, though, have a tight-band laser communications array that would burn a pretty good hole in another ship's hull if the power restrictions were turned off. You know, hypothetically. It won't work without the main engine, though. Or, well, the batteries might give you enough power for one...ahem...transmission or two, but not much beyond that."

Last edited:

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Act II, Scene 2b
Crew: Charity
Kairali Crew: TazC, Agnes [entering]

Aikireikinu said:
Dr. Coppelia thanks TazC. "Could I bother you to send Ms. Pierce here? I'm not really familiar with your ship?"
TazC shrugs, "Aggie's not easy, but sure." He pulls out his Kairali comm unit. "Aggie? New doc wants to see you. No, on the little bird. Shiny."

"She'll be over," he says. "So, what do you do when you're not bone knitting?"

---

A few minutes later, Agnes appears in the medbay entrance. She's limping, and it appears that her leg is still leaking a bit. The tussle with Karlsson didn't do her nose any favors either. "I wish you monkey-humpers could decide what you want us to fucking do. Go to quarters, come back over here. It's like I'm in the fucking stir all over again."

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Act II, Scene 2c
Crew: Trân/Laz, Jenny, and Bella [entering]
Kairali Crew: Redfern, Krinkov, Harrington/Drakewell [entering]

In Redfern's Room

Spoiler: Show

Trân had a 6 on [3, 3, 2] to search Redfern's room.

There's some time pressure involved (d10) + most of Redfern's possessions are electronic devices, the contents of which aren't really amenable to a rough search (d10) + in his Paranoia, innocent items might appear to be incriminating = 11, with an opportunity [1, 3, 8]. Trân does not raise the stakes.

Some business clothes. Some working coveralls. Some casual clothes. Some running clothes. Two Cortex handsets. A variety of personal hygiene items. A variety of electronic diagnostic or testing equipment with NewSun Systems' logo all over it. Some running equipment (water bottles, wraps, etc.). Nothing different than would be expected from a young professional on a long-duration work trip out to the Rim.

From Redfern's room, Trân can hear the muffled confrontation outside.

In the Hallway

OOC: Ostensibly, there should be some more cross-talk with Drakewell, but I don't want to break up the flow of this to work through it.

Drakewell glowers and says something about the Righteous's crews lack of discipline as she marches alongside Bella and Jenny down to Deck 4.

Laz exits the lift coming up within a few seconds of Jenny, Bella, and Drakewell exiting a second lift coming down. They all see the scene simultaneously.

Krinkov is standing outside of Redfern's quarters, small pistol in one hand, attempting to override the door lock. Harrington has backed off a fair distance toward the kitchen, and stands watching Krinkov and the newly-arriving crewmembers while eating a protein bar.

Krinkov turns when he hears the lift open and says, "One of them assaulted Redfern and has her locked up in her quarters with him."

Drakewell turns to Bella and says, "What are you people doing? First the Captain and now a passenger!"

Krinkov presents his attention fully toward Bella and Jenny and says, surprise and anger in his voice, "They hurt the Captain?!"

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Storming down the corridor towards the Kairali crew quarters, Bella hits her comm. "Whatever comes, the Righteous has us covered,Meizhi! Ah'll handle anything like that. You just do your job an' get this crate moving, Dong ma? Ah think things are gettin' bumpy, an' ah don' mean atmo turbulence." The Captain doesn't mean to be short with Meizhi, but it feels like everyone wants her attention and everything is spinning out of her hands.
Kapoor tilts his head to one side, "Kairali isn't technically armed. It's a civilian bulk transport, and lots of shipyards don't like armed vessels. We might, though, have a tight-band laser communications array that would burn a pretty good hole in another ship's hull if the power restrictions were turned off. You know, hypothetically. It won't work without the main engine, though. Or, well, the batteries might give you enough power for one...ahem...transmission or two, but not much beyond that."
Meizhi grins at Kapoor. "I like the way you think. But sounds like it won't do much good till we get this old girl up and runnin' again." She pats the engine. "Or young girl, I guess, since she's fresh out of the factory." Meizhi shakes her head. "Poor thing probably didn't know what she was gettin' into." She glances down at the text message from Bella, then says, "Well, my captain wants us to concentrate on fixin' your ship up anyway--she says we'll use The Righteous' defenses to cover any problems. Still, when I get the chance, I might mention gettin' to limpin' with The Righteous' engines, so's to keep us more out of harm's way. You want to talk to your own captain and suggest somethin' different, go ahead--our two captains can hash out any differences."

Spoiler: Show
As far as I can tell, Meizhi is out of the loop on both the confrontation at Redfern's quarters and the medical condition of the Kairili's captain.

Iustum, how do you want to handle repairing the engine? One roll for the entire multi-day process? Or individual rolls for different stages?

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Act II, Scene 2b
Crew: Charity
Kairali Crew: TazC, Agnes [entering]

TazC shrugs, "Aggie's not easy, but sure." He pulls out his Kairali comm unit. "Aggie? New doc wants to see you. No, on the little bird. Shiny."

"She'll be over," he says. "So, what do you do when you're not bone knitting?"
Dr. Coppelia looks confused for a moment. "I'm not really sure..? Normal things, I guess?"

A few minutes later, Agnes appears in the medbay entrance. She's limping, and it appears that her leg is still leaking a bit. The tussle with Karlsson didn't do her nose any favors either. "I wish you monkey-humpers could decide what you want us to fucking do. Go to quarters, come back over here. It's like I'm in the fucking stir all over again."
Dr. Coppelia smiles sympathetically. "Sorry about that, but I'm just a doctor. My concern is, um, getting you well again."

She examines Agnes. "Hmmm. Well, nothing too serious! Let me just clean and seal that wound in your leg, and then we can get your nose straightened out!"

"A shot of local anesthetic to the leg, flush out the wound with the sterilizing fluid, a squirt of bio gel, and little bit of medical glue to seal it all up. Nothing complicated!" She narrates as she works.

"Hmm. Now for the nose. Setting a broken nose can be a bit painful. Would you prefer a local anesthetic or full sedation for this part, Ms. Pierce?"

Aliexster

Master Mech Mechanic
Validated User
Kennith

Looking over at Kapoor in awkward silence for a few minutes, the big guy does a few calculations in his head, "Yea, I think we should keep that as an absolute last resort type plan. Because that'll kill the battery pretty much, at which point, might as well scuttle the ship or use it as a fireboat. For all the good it'll do us."

At hearing their new marching orders, Kennith says, "Man, it must be really easy going up top if the capt'n wants to stay here to fix this engine. Guess let's get going on this, it'll take a few days regardless at least." He says with a weary sigh.

Top Bottom