• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC [Firefly] The Path of the Righteous (Thread 2)

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
"Will they let you escort an old friend off the property? Or at least downstairs? I'd rather not have to deal with the security in your reception area if we can skip it."
Jenny shuffles her feet a bit. "Aaaand I'm not much of a fighter either, so I'm definitely in favor of solutions that get us out of here with minimum fuss..." She glances to Nneka. "How much network access do you have? I could possibly get up to some mischief with security cameras and comms if I can get a foot in the door..."
 

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Trân jogs back to the elevator, places his hand on Meizhi's back to signal the all-clear to her, and ushers her and Kennith into the elevator. He hands out the gas masks and gets ready to toss the gas once the elevator opens.

"Can you wire the elevator so that we can override and close the doors while we wait for the gas to take effect?" he asks Meizhi.
Meizhi says, "Probably, but we can't toss out the tear gas--we'd need to get out of the elevator and, by hook or by crook, open the door to the room where the guards are. Still, it might make our lives earlier if I can jigger the elevator not to go down again until we tell it to--and so no one else can come up and bug us." She sets to work again on overriding the elevator's protocols.

OOC: So, do we know IC that the internal alarm has already been triggered and it doesn't make any difference how we deal with the guards? It's unclear from your previous post.

Mental + Fix + Ship's Mechanic + Trusty Toolkit + Military Grade Cortex Set:

Total: 14. Jinxes: 1. Hmm--I have a feeling I may want a plentiude of PP later, so if this doesn't succeed, I'll just let it fail.
 

Aliexster

Master Mech Mechanic
Validated User
Kennith heads into the elevator after taking the gas mask. "Well it'd probably be best for me to do it. It wouldn't look too out of place for an RRT guy to have a gas mask. Surprise this thing didn't come with one. We sweet talk our way in, I head in, and just drop one at my feet while they freak out." He takes off his helmet, slips the mask over his own face and does his best to fit the helmet on like it's supposed to be on there.
 

Atlictoatl

Powered by the Apocryphal
Validated User
Trân looks around between the three of them. "When was the last time you saw any of us 'sweet talk our way in' past a determined barrier, Mister Karatoma? We lie more along the 'threaten and force' end of the spectrum."
 

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Episode 17: Coreporate
Act IV, Scene 1b
Location: Blue Sun Research Park
Righteous Crew: Kiko, Jenny

KIKO

Kiko looks up at the guard and smiles. "We're good. Thanks for checking in." Whenever her friend backs her words with a nod or whatever and the guard leaves the room, Kiko turns back to Nneka. "No, they're not going to let you go. That's why we're breaking you out."

She gives her friend a second for that to sink in.

"Will they let you escort an old friend off the property? Or at least downstairs? I'd rather not have to deal with the security in your reception area if we can skip it."
"I've never tried. Before you showed up, I had no reason to leave. I doubt it, though. They clamped down on security around here a few days ago."

Jenny shuffles her feet a bit. "Aaaand I'm not much of a fighter either, so I'm definitely in favor of solutions that get us out of here with minimum fuss..." She glances to Nneka. "How much network access do you have? I could possibly get up to some mischief with security cameras and comms if I can get a foot in the door..."
"Everything is compartmentalized on the network. I have access to copies of project files and whatnot, but nothing related to facility operations. Again, why would I need it?"

As you talk, two of the suit-wearing security officers arrive at the door to Nneka's office. One of them - distinguishable by being a centimeter or two shorter than the other - says "I'm sorry, ma'am, but your guests will need to leave immediately. There's been a security issue."
 

Iustum

RPGnet Newsletter Editor
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Episode 17: Coreporate
Act IV, Scene 1a
Location: Blue Sun Research Park
Righteous Crew: Meizhi, Trân, Kennith

Meizhi says, "Probably, but we can't toss out the tear gas--we'd need to get out of the elevator and, by hook or by crook, open the door to the room where the guards are. Still, it might make our lives earlier if I can jigger the elevator not to go down again until we tell it to--and so no one else can come up and bug us." She sets to work again on overriding the elevator's protocols.

OOC: So, do we know IC that the internal alarm has already been triggered and it doesn't make any difference how we deal with the guards? It's unclear from your previous post.

Mental + Fix + Ship's Mechanic + Trusty Toolkit + Military Grade Cortex Set:

Total: 14. Jinxes: 1. Hmm--I have a feeling I may want a plentiude of PP later, so if this doesn't succeed, I'll just let it fail.
OOC: Trân figured out that the alarm had been triggered from his Notice check. The two guards in the server room have a live Cortex connection to Securetech headquarters, as I mentioned in the initial description of the server room. You no longer need to worry about the guards using that connection to trigger an alarm, because the alarm has already been triggered.

Same difficulty pool as last time: 8, with an opportunity [8,1]. Meizhi succeeds, but I'll buy that jinx. Internal Alarm is up to d8.


Meizhi quickly rewires the elevator to ignore calls from other floors. As she does so, an announcement filters out from the facility's PA system.

Attention, Attention. Please report to your designated emergency response locations and await further instructions.
 

brahnamin

Will GM for Beer
Validated User
KIKO

Kiko looks at the security officer and raises an eyebrow. "You let people leave during a security crisis?" She turns her back on both of them and says to Nneka, "Kraig was right to be concerned about the security in this place." Facing Jenny full on, she looks meaningfully at the woman, hoping she has cameras and other tricks ready before turning back to face security again, a look of scathing skepticism on her face and her Papa's Pistol is in her hand.

She shoots the nearer of the two men dead center mass at close range, knocking him back a step. "Next one goes in your unarmored face," she says, adding volume to her tone to make up for the disorienting boom of the gun. "Do not reach for your weapons. We are leaving and Ms. Aarinade is coming with us. It has come to our attention that she is being kept against her will and her recorded statement to that effect has already been loaded to the Cortex. Ms. Nguyen would be happy to show you the footage."

When she isn't shot immediately, she adds, "Also the Cortex is watching whatever you choose to do next . . . Live."
Spoiler: Show
First, spending the PP from my step-back below to buy the [d6] asset Secure Cortex Stream. I doubt it will apply to any of my rolls, but Jenny should be able to make free use of it.

Social d8+ Influence d10 + War Scion d4 [for the PP and because Shoot First/Make Demands Second is not a top strategy when you are grossly outgunned behind enemy lines] + Papa's Pistol d8 15 [1,5,10,2] one jinx. I'll spend up to 2 more PP and 2 BDHD if necessary to succeed.

Let me know if I need to roll for the shot. It was not meant to wound him so much as an attention getting tactic for the Influence roll, but I understand if that's not just a narrative freebie.

OOC: Hopefully I'm not putting Jenny too much on the spot here, squidheadjax squidheadjax . If I am, feel free to treat Kiko like a mad bluffing loon.
 

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
When she isn't shot immediately, she adds, "Also the Cortex is watching whatever you choose to do next . . . Live."
Spoiler: Show
First, spending the PP from my step-back below to buy the [d6] asset Secure Cortex Stream. I doubt it will apply to any of my rolls, but Jenny should be able to make free use of it.

Social d8+ Influence d10 + War Scion d4 [for the PP and because Shoot First/Make Demands Second is not a top strategy when you are grossly outgunned behind enemy lines] + Papa's Pistol d8 15 [1,5,10,2] one jinx. I'll spend up to 2 more PP and 2 BDHD if necessary to succeed.

Let me know if I need to roll for the shot. It was not meant to wound him so much as an attention getting tactic for the Influence roll, but I understand if that's not just a narrative freebie.

OOC: Hopefully I'm not putting Jenny too much on the spot here, squidheadjax squidheadjax . If I am, feel free to treat Kiko like a mad bluffing loon.
Jenny blinks and opens and closes her mouth like a fish at Kiko, and then hastily stammers, "Yes, yes, you'd better let this woman leave..."

OOC: I'd planned for her to be quicker on the draw to go along with it, but...
trick: 1d10 1
 

Muskrat

Ancient Wyrm Kittensnake
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OOC: That's an extraordinary success, right?


Meizhi looks up from her work and says, "Well, the elevator is ours at least for now." As the alarm goes off, she says to it in an annoyed voice, "Oh, piss off!" Turning her attention back to Kennith and Tran, "Yeah, I think we'll have better luck with brute force. I mean, really, now that I think about it, that's how I work--I just do it with machines, not weapons. I mean, I'm the one who's notorious for blowing a hole in the side of a ship with an oven." She sounds slightly disturbed by this realization.
 
Top Bottom