• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

First details on "The Mandolorian", the live-action Star Wars show

JeffCram

Loyal to the Dream
Validated User
Very interested in this.

There are just SO many stories you can tell in Star Wars, even if it's in the "Classic Era" time frame. A tale of someone navigating the fringes of the galaxy with grit and a gun sounds like a great show premise, to me. There is obviously a lot of talent going into this, so color me on board!

awesomeocalypse

Validated User
I kinda hope that this show has standalone episodes rather than being strictly serialized. Getting all these great directors and basically giving them the freedom to set a short film in the weird fringes of the Star Wars universe, linked only by a mysterious masked figure who will do any job for a price, sounds like it could be dope AF

Desiden

Validated User
When I first heard this, my one fear was they would backslide from the more complicated portrayal of mandalorians and their relationship to violence and war that we got in clone wars/rebels. Looking at the director cast, I'm hopefully that that won't be the case.

Qwa'ha Xahn

High King of the Known Worlds
Validated User
When I first heard this, my one fear was they would backslide from the more complicated portrayal of mandalorians and their relationship to violence and war that we got in clone wars/rebels. Looking at the director cast, I'm hopefully that that won't be the case.
Oh I’d say that’s definitely going to be a part of this. A western “lone gunslinger” story almost requires that sense that the world has moved on, and a Mandalore that’s turned its back on its warrior past does a great job at providing that.

Especially being set post-Empire. Our main could be someone who grew up in this “renascence” of Mandalore’s fighting past, but now that the Empire is gone, has to find a way to live as Mandalore attempts to re-embrace its pre-Clone Wars peacefulness.

Last edited:

bentleyml

Strange Apparition
Validated User
I keep seeing Favreau being listed as the writer, which to me implies he is writing the whole thing. Granted at this point we don't know how long this is going to be. It could be 6 episodes or 13 or more. Still if one person is writing the series, to me that would imply an ongoing story and not an episodic show.

Matchstick

Validated User
From what I understand, in television, unless the director is a main producer or writer, or directing an entire season (like Cary Fukunaga with True Detective season 1), they don't really have the kind of control that a film director has.

I would say that what type of show Mandalorian ends up being is really going to have more to do with Jon Favreau and his writing staff than any directors they bring in to shoot one episode.

Matchstick

Validated User
Saw this reported as the rumored plot outline for the show:

“The Mandalorian encounters a baby on one of his missions that he is supposed to kill, but instead of that, he ends up saving it and a lot of the rest of the story revolves around their growing relationship and his efforts to keep the child safe and protected.”

So, Lone Wolf and Cub, but Star Wars? Not the worst idea.

Top Bottom