🎨 Creative first homebrew system

hilador

Validated User
I have been working on a fantasy setting skill based system. I like the way a d10 dice pool works so most of what I am doing is based off of that. I am hoping to gain some insight on potential pitfalls in some of my mechanics.

First, I wanted to make advancement use based rather than use an experience system. My idea for the player to roll dice , use cancellation ( 1's cancel successes beginning with 10's ) and then if there are any 1's or 10's left they would gain a point for that skill that can be used to buy it up to the next rank. While the multiplier would have to be low on general skills that don't see much use ( maybe rank x2 or x3 to purchase the next rank ) it would have to be much higher for combat skills ( not sure of a good number here )

Second, I wanted to give players the feel of a class based system without the obvious restrictions that go with it. To do this I opted to break skills into two major groups, combat and general.
Combat skill sets being focused on how you do combat ( sword and shield, 2 hander, martial art, magic etc.) and general skill sets for everything else. The idea is for players to be able to learn anything to a point but specialize in a particular form of fighting. The idea fleshed out fairly well until I reached classes that I am less than familiar with. I wanted 3 melee "disciplines " and 3 magical.
For the meat shield/ tank style player - defense skill ( absorb or block incoming damage ) and shieldcraft ( add dice to defense, shield attacks and parry).
For melee damage - I am thinking weapon group main skill ( 1 handed slash ) and sub skill for specific weapon ( longsword ) with the attack dice pool being these combined.
For the rogue style player - this is where I draw a blank, I am thinking of an improvised fighting skill ( think Jackie chan movies where anything is a weapon ) just not sure what to call it. As I have never been much for playing rogue characters I don't know what else to add. A d&d backstab type skill doesn't seem like it would work well but I want something to make it feel more rogue like.

Combat would be resolved with attackers successes - defense successes and probably a health level / wound system ( wounds negating x successes pre level )

I will get into the magic disciplines later because that is a bit more drawn out but I plan to have magic attacks resolve just like a weapon strike.

thanks for any input.

hilador

Validated User
After reading through my initial post I realize I must have been half asleep or something because it makes little sense. My goal was this.
If you take the rogue class and strip away all of the skills what makes it "feel " like a rogue in combat. My design uses an improvised fighting skill allowing a player to use nearly anything ( within reason and gm discretion) as a weapon. What other combat related skill could I add to make it feel more rogue-ish.

hilador

Validated User
The backstory is the characters are trying to create a rebellion against a church that has essentially complete control over human lands and forbidden the use of magic for anyone who isn't in their clergy. ( Similar to the catholic church at it's height in the middle ages ) There will be dungeon crawls to locate hidden societies, social conflicts convincing groups and kingdoms to join their side even if its in secret. I guess very similar to a D&D experience but with a lot more freedom.

Top Bottom