• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

First trailer for the Battle Angel Alita live action is out.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
Yes, it was a quip about how they used Nova as a naked plot device, without including any of the elements that make him an interesting character.
Well, in the manga, Nova was name checked in the early volumes, but doesn't personally show up on panel until after the motorball arc.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
For those of us unversed in the source material, was anyone else a little confused about who or what Nova was, or why he mattered?
So - at this point in the manga - Nova hasn't come fully into view yet - he's a mad scientist exiled from Zalem for doing research that they found beyond the pale:
Spoiler: Show

Specifically, Nova had found out that Zalemites actually had their brains uploaded into a central computer system and what they had in their head was just a microchip - and Nova intended to tell everyone just to see what happens/because of Karmatron Dynamics.

After being exiled to the surface, he'd been doing basically experimental work by working as sort of a dark mirror of Dr. Ido - cybernetic upgrade work, but unlike Ido he not only will do work for anyone, but he'll basically give psychotics and serial killers the augments they want to commit even more violence - providing Mekaku his body, along with (IIRC) the serial killers that Ido was hunting down at the start of the series.

In the manga - his ultimate goal (by where the first series canonically ends).

Is to get back into Zalem - where he can make his reveal and then observe the results - and if he can't get into Zalem, he'll get Zalem to come to him through bringing it down via the assisting the Barjack uprising).

EDIT: There are some alterations in his character from the manga to the film - and oddly enough, those alterations feel like they take him closer to his namesake.

Adam Reynolds

Validated User
Well my feelings as to this movie are best described as nothing. It was perfectly fine and had some decent actions scenes but I really didn't really feel anything after watching it.

Isator Levie

Validated User
For those of us unversed in the source material, was anyone else a little confused about who or what Nova was, or why he mattered?
I think the film did a good enough job conveying somebody scary and powerful who lived in the big city above, was able to hack into the cyborg brains of his subordinates, and had interests around the city.

I know that I found the moment where Grewishka's whole tone and cadence changes and it's apparent he's not speaking for himself anymore while he gives instructions that everybody is taking seriously to be reasonably chilling.

Bira

Validated User
On Nova:

In the manga, as described by others here, he's pretty much a garden variety mad scientist that enjoys giving dangerous bodies to dangerous people just to see what happens. His mad science theory that ties this all together is that he's trying to find a way to "overcome karma",or "make the concept of karma obsolete", or something to that effect. The author of the manga seems to think this is a lot deeper than I do, so he treats Nova like a morally ambiguous character.

Movie Nova is more of a straight up villain. He still lives up in Zalem, and he likes to play with the lives of the people in Iron City for shits and giggles. The end result is pretty much the same, but I feel the motivation here is more honest. Another new bit is that Movie Nova is portrayed as being alive 300 years ago, and having had a hand in causing the war against Mars. I think in the manga he was about Ido's age.

Kreuzritter

Validated User
I think the film did a good enough job conveying somebody scary and powerful who lived in the big city above, was able to hack into the cyborg brains of his subordinates, and had interests around the city.

I know that I found the moment where Grewishka's whole tone and cadence changes and it's apparent he's not speaking for himself anymore while he gives instructions that everybody is taking seriously to be reasonably chilling.
Oh yes. a fantastic way to bring about that part of the story without overstuffing an already densely packed film

and likewise, right before it, when Vector and Chiren recognize the implant and realize he's watching them

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Movie Nova appears to be an amalgamation of Manga Nova and one or possibly two other manga characters.

Aga Mbadi, and maaaaybe Biggot Eizenburg.

Isator Levie

Validated User
I mean, a major thing that I got from the film was that the fact that Nova had a relationship with Vector, and what it appeared to be, said things about some of his agendas and interests in the city, without people needing to necessarily spell those out.

Top Bottom