First trailer for the Battle Angel Alita live action is out.

Boris

I am invincible?
Validated User
I saw this today and enjoyed it. The action and visual design was damn good. Some of the dialogue was pretty clunky.

I loved Robodog guy and how, as soon as a dog gets hurt he's all in the fight. Hope we get to see him again.

Iron City seemed pretty rough, but not hellish. I mean, they have chocolate! But I got the impression that Alita was more opposed to Zalem's inequality and Nova's meddling rather than wanting to destroy the whole thing.

Deadstop

Validated User
Iron City seemed pretty rough, but not hellish. I mean, they have chocolate! But I got the impression that Alita was more opposed to Zalem's inequality and Nova's meddling rather than wanting to destroy the whole thing.
For values of “meddling” that include “tried to have me murdered several times, threatened my dad and boyfriend, killed said boyfriend, and harvested the brain of my sorta-mom who kept the boyfriend from dying the first time.” Alita has a lot of reasons to want to take Nova down. She has fewer to hate Zalem as a whole, though they apparently threw Ido and Chiren out for having a disabled kid and cultivate an obsession with joining them that is a cover for organ harvesting. (I’m surprised she still thinks the “becoming Final Champion of motorball” route is real, though I suspect Nova would let her up just to see what happens.)

UtterConfusion

Rainbow Person
Validated User
I saw this today and enjoyed it. The action and visual design was damn good. Some of the dialogue was pretty clunky.

I loved Robodog guy and how, as soon as a dog gets hurt he's all in the fight. Hope we get to see him again.
In the manga he's part of the post-motorball storyline where Zapan comes back for revenge, so I'd say there's a good chance he shows up in a sequel.

Kreuzritter

Validated User

well, the movie more or less says nova embodies the system, so it's prolly gonna be FUBAR when she's done anyway...

Boris

I am invincible?
Validated User
For values of “meddling” that include “tried to have me murdered several times, threatened my dad and boyfriend, killed said boyfriend, and harvested the brain of my sorta-mom who kept the boyfriend from dying the first time.” Alita has a lot of reasons to want to take Nova down. She has fewer to hate Zalem as a whole, though they apparently threw Ido and Chiren out for having a disabled kid and cultivate an obsession with joining them that is a cover for organ harvesting. (I’m surprised she still thinks the “becoming Final Champion of motorball” route is real, though I suspect Nova would let her up just to see what happens.)
Yeah, I was trying to encompass all the murdering within that term

Re the Final Champion thing, even if it were real it would be kind of a crappy life - "here's all the wealthy industrialists, the scientists, the artists .... over there is half a dozen washed up sports stars that nobody knows and who have no money....". It's kinda like the exploited lives of the successful Tributes in The Hunger Games. But Alita would presumably just be using it to get to Nova so would be ok.

Kreuzritter

Validated User
Yeah, I was trying to encompass all the murdering within that term

Re the Final Champion thing, even if it were real it would be kind of a crappy life - "here's all the wealthy industrialists, the scientists, the artists .... over there is half a dozen washed up sports stars that nobody knows and who have no money....". It's kinda like the exploited lives of the successful Tributes in The Hunger Games. But Alita would presumably just be using it to get to Nova so would be ok.
For what it's worth, in both versions of the manga

Spoiler: Show
what little regular Life in Zalem we see is actually fairly idyllic, at least on the surface level. they're manipulated by the system so much so that they're like the Time Machine's Eloi, and completely unprepared for monsters like Nova and Alita

Stephen Lea Sheppard

Be seeing you
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I have a real problem with the Nova in the manga...

He's one of those villains you get in manga, like Bleach's Kurotsuchi, who's an incredibly fucked up abusive murderer for as long as the plot needs him to be to serve as an XTREEM antagonist figure, but then the mangaka likes having him around, so around the time some sort of showdown and comupperance for him seems due, some other threat arises that distracts the protagonist, and then by the time the plot spins back around to focusing on him, he's sort of morphed into the protagonist's funny eccentric uncle and all the incredibly fucked up abusive murdering he did is just shoved into a corner with a blanket over it.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I have a real problem with the Nova in the manga...

He's one of those villains you get in manga, like Bleach's Kurotsuchi, who's an incredibly fucked up abusive murderer for as long as the plot needs him to be to serve as an XTREEM antagonist figure, but then the mangaka likes having him around, so around the time some sort of showdown and comupperance for him seems due, some other threat arises that distracts the protagonist, and then by the time the plot spins back around to focusing on him, he's sort of morphed into the protagonist's funny eccentric uncle and all the incredibly fucked up abusive murdering he did is just shoved into a corner with a blanket over it.
To be fair, Alita never stops disliking him, he’s actually died several times, and the only time she’s willing to use him as an ally is when there’s a bigger threat- which often involves another Nova iteration! Even then she’s pretty reluctant about it and only goes along due to other stakes.

I’d say Nova has suffered comuppance multiple times, it’s just his nature keeps him coming back in various forms.

Isator Levie

Validated User
I got to see the film a second time, this time with my sister.

She seems to have taken much more to it than my brother did. Her comments coming out were on how it felt very James Cameron even before she had seen his name in the credits (I got to tell her about how it's been something he's been gunning for for ages), and I have a suspicion that some of the character scenarios felt broadly familiar to her.

For myself, it helped to sharpen my impression of what I had liked about it. I'd say my favourite part is when Alita does her absolutely anything.

Although one that stood out particularly to me was her contemptuous "not you" to Vector's desperate and begging responses to her demands that Nova speak.

Top Bottom