First trailer for the Battle Angel Alita live action is out.

ResplendentScorpion

neither glitter, nor substance
Validated User
Just saw it yesterday.
I can't believe how good it actually was. Not a big fan of the original material, so maybe I missed some ways in which it messed up the adaptation.
BUT!
It has been years since I've seen a movie with so much earnestness and spirit, and impactful action scenes.
And it has been near a decade since I've been so excited and pleasantly surprised coming out of a movie.

HDimagination

Building something out of Scrap
Validated User
I knida can't believe how much I am still obsessing over this movie, I don't normally have this reaction to stuff outside Star Wars films...

Also, I found this interview of Rosa Salazar on Youtube, and she seems like a massive dork in the best way. She's so earnest, I can see how she's a perfect fit for the part.

Last edited:

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Just saw it yesterday.
I can't believe how good it actually was. Not a big fan of the original material, so maybe I missed some ways in which it messed up the adaptation.
BUT!
It has been years since I've seen a movie with so much earnestness and spirit, and impactful action scenes.
And it has been near a decade since I've been so excited and pleasantly surprised coming out of a movie.
General opinion is while there were some definitely changes, most of them made sense.

Nova was changed from being a rogue scientist on the ground to up in Zalem as a mysterious manipulative figure as the biggest change some took issue with, but all in all it stayed true to the spirit of the manga.

ESkemp

Validated User
I have a real problem with the Nova in the manga...

Spoiler: Show
He's one of those villains you get in manga, like Bleach's Kurotsuchi, who's an incredibly fucked up abusive murderer for as long as the plot needs him to be to serve as an XTREEM antagonist figure, but then the mangaka likes having him around, so around the time some sort of showdown and comupperance for him seems due, some other threat arises that distracts the protagonist, and then by the time the plot spins back around to focusing on him, he's sort of morphed into the protagonist's funny eccentric uncle and all the incredibly fucked up abusive murdering he did is just shoved into a corner with a blanket over it.
Yeah, that's more or less what got me to fall out of reading Alita. I still loved the motorball arc and would go back and regularly reread it, just to soak up the art -- there are some just amazing uses of white space in that -- but the amount of Nova that started cropping up afterward was way too much Nova for me.

Bira

Validated User

I liked the movie version a lot more. As someone else said he was basically merged with Aga Mbadi from Last Order, and I think the result works a lot better than either of them ever did in the original media. Mbadi has an introduction scene at the start of Last Order that paints him as a badass long-term villain, and then Alita literally never sees him again. He gets killed by a Deus Ex Machina NPC a volume or two down the line.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User

I liked the movie version a lot more. As someone else said he was basically merged with Aga Mbadi from Last Order, and I think the result works a lot better than either of them ever did in the original media. Mbadi has an introduction scene at the start of Last Order that paints him as a badass long-term villain, and then Alita literally never sees him again. He gets killed by a Deus Ex Machina NPC a volume or two down the line.
She has more than that- First her arrival at the top of the elevator, and then the showdown along with supernova where he tries to cancel the ZOTT and she pretty much beats him there, and I'd say at that point her focus has shifted off him. Her actions in the final set up his fall even if someone else strikes the final blow, though yea, I could see how you would've wanted another meeting and Alita being the finisher.

jcfiala

Code Monkey
Validated User
My daughter's heading out to visit Tammy's family for Spring Break, and I'm already planning to see all the movies while she's gone... and I think this conversation has convinced me to go see Alita again while she does.

Stupid Made Up Name

David
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Seen film, liked it (although I think you really have to buy in to the kinetic pacing of the story because everything is underdeveloped to the point of being near-stupid) and caught up on thread:
Admittedly, I haven't paid attention to what's being said about the work by Anita Sarkeesian - it's entirely possible that she hates it and that's what the right wing internet mob is embracing.
FWIW, her opinion was only given on her February 27th FFR podcast (so 8 days after you asked) in which the three intersectional feminist critics thoroughly scorned the film. Gender wise: creepy dad was creeepy, much mocking of the "I remembered that I am a mother!" moment and ain't it just like a man to dump all his shit on you just while you are trying out for rollerball? Race wise: if this is such a diverse place why is every major character white, except that one black guy who was mostly being used as a puppet... by a white guy? Also some talk of trans narratives and disabilty ("super-crip") narratives. The offering-of-heart scene very much got three thumbs down.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
FWIW, her opinion was only given on her February 27th FFR podcast (so 8 days after you asked) in which the three intersectional feminist critics thoroughly scorned the film. Gender wise: creepy dad was creeepy, much mocking of the "I remembered that I am a mother!" moment and ain't it just like a man to dump all his shit on you just while you are trying out for rollerball? Race wise: if this is such a diverse place why is every major character white, except that one black guy who was mostly being used as a puppet... by a white guy? Also some talk of trans narratives and disabilty ("super-crip") narratives. The offering-of-heart scene very much got three thumbs down.
Ah, Rosa Salazar? Not exactly the whitest of leads.

I would note how Alita growing past Ido's overprotectiveness, of Hugo in general, and yea, it is dealing with Alita handling stuff dropped on her.

So I don't think it's a great read. It's about a WoC first being caught up in, and then moving beyond all that crap.

Top Bottom