• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Flintstone Fantasy

mitchw

Viral Marketing Shill?
Validated User
Over on the Flintlock Fantasy conversation someone misread the title briefly and saw 'Flintstone Fantasy'. Let's move that discussion here to not derail the other one...

My first though when I hear Flintstone Fantasy is Savage Worlds Sticks and Stones. Its not even close to being serious but it is a fun setting for a one-shot or short campaign.

Kronocalypse also has a stone age setting as one of its times you can travel to. It is also not 'serious'.

On a more serious vein, I always got a 'stone age' vibe from the Slaine D20 books. I know they are based on 'Celtic Heroes' but that was how I saw them.

So what 'stone age' roleplaying games are out there? Are they any good? Are any well supported? etc.

Last edited:

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
There was a series of splatbooks for CoD that set the different books in different time periods, and I seem to recall Stone Age settings for Mage and Werewolf.

tomas

Validated User
There is Wolfpacks and Winter Snow which is a very good OSR game. The author has done a revised edition that will hopefully be made POD.

Ficino

Rascally Rabbit
Validated User
Mongoose publishes Simon Phipp's Land of Ice and Stone for Legend; you need the Legend rules to play, but they are just $1. Though really if you are familiar with RQ or other D100 games you could probably use them instead of Legend.

Paul Elliott (Zozer Games) publishes a free game, Totem. Its randomizer involves picking stones from a bag, rather than rolling dice.

As always, GURPs has--or had--a supplement for that GURPS Ice Age.

Kevin Allen's Primitive also sounds interestingly different, based on its blurb:
Build a tribe, fight bloodthirsty dinosaurs, and discover untold mysteries in a game that features easy to follow rules, a uniquely simple turn based combat resolution system, and character generation that focuses on group social dynamics. Most excitingly, the players of the game will develop their own language organically during play. Forced to grunt and gesture to communicate, verbal understanding begins to take shape after only a few scenes, by the end of a session a rudimentary spoken form will be created.
That sounds like it could either be a lot of fun, or a complete fiasco.

Last edited:

Barbatruc

Validated User
There is Wolfpacks and Winter Snow which is a very good OSR game. The author has done a revised edition that will hopefully be made POD.
POD for the revised edition is available as of about 10 days ago!

Reseru

Validated User
Predation, Wurm, Wolfpacks & Winter Snow I'll second.

I'll add GURPS Lands Out of Time and Cavemaster.

Top Bottom