• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Forged in the Dark & the Faction Game

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
Blades in the Dark takes place in a setting where the PCs are small fish in a very big pond, there's some nasty sharks swimming around out there who could swallow you whole without chewing. PCs can grow powerful enough to challenge any faction in the game, though, and the mechanics of the factions and tiers support this. There are well-supported rules for growing in power and influence until you can take on the cops, city hall, even the whole damn army on an equal footing.

That's fine for a story about a revolutionary cell or a criminal enterprise. However I'm looking for ideas and stories of other sorts of goals that can be utilized to push a Forged in the Dark story forward. What other reasons do people have to run in the shadows of Doskvol, or any other Forged in the Dark setting?

Ramidel

Validated User
I wonder how well FitD would support being on the opposite side. Joining up with the Bluecoats, for example, and trying to bring some measure of order to the streets of Doskvol. Being an Imperial Fleet captain in Scum and Villainy, fighting rebels and smugglers with very little backup on the Rim.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
I wonder how well FitD would support being on the opposite side. Joining up with the Bluecoats, for example, and trying to bring some measure of order to the streets of Doskvol. Being an Imperial Fleet captain in Scum and Villainy, fighting rebels and smugglers with very little backup on the Rim.
It's a point made repeatedly in Blades than the Bluecoats are just a large gang, and not even particularly the richest one around. I suppose you could create a Crew whose characters are all current or former Bluecoats and are devoted to making a little more order and sanity to the streets, but it wouldn't be too different from a standard game in that manner.

Being a Fleet Captain in Scum... it would be easier to be, say, a Fleet Intelligence Operative working on the Rim with minimal contact and support from the home office.

Andurion

Validated User
One of the stretch goals for the BitD KS was Bluecoats of the Watch, which let's you play as members of "Duskvol's meanest gang." There is a Vigilante's crewbook currently available as a download as well FWIW.

But in general, yeah, I think FitD would work well for being on the "establishment" side. Band of Blades is kind of like that, which is to say it's less about scoundrels but all about being in a military company.

FrivYeti

Yeti On The Lam!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
There was actually a Bluecoats Crew sheet written up as one of the stretch goals to the game. I don't know if it ever became available for non-Backers, though.

Dodging the faction game entirely probably requires some hacking, because there are Moves and Entanglements that just don't do anything if you aren't using them. But if you're just looking for other motives that will use the Factions, here are a few:

* Competing cults: Duskvol is filled with demons and spirits. If the players are agents of a demonic force, or alternately are some kind of demon-hunters, they can get drawn into the faction game while trying to spread their master's will, or while trying to prevent various demons from gaining a foothold in the city.

* It wouldn't take much hacking for the players to be a Crew of low-level leviathan hunters or merchants, with the factions giving them access to political assistance or making their hunts more difficult, but without the criminal aspect. You'd need a reputation bar to replace Heat, with a different set of punishments for letting it get too high, and you'd want to mostly replace the criminal organizations with individual ship crews of the same type as you, but otherwise you'd be set.

* Similarly, the players could be Deathlands scavengers, trying to find enough cool stuff to be allowed back into Doskvol, and the various factions would be the forces willing to go out into the dark with them. Each mission is an attempt to gather resources from dangerous areas, or to fight off enemies who want your stuff.

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Blue Coats is in play testing and looks really cool, it works differently than other Crew types, obviously but it still sort of treats the police as a large gang with special powers of legitimacy.

Litpho

Wandering stranger
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Blue Coats is in play testing and looks really cool, it works differently than other Crew types, obviously but it still sort of treats the police as a large gang with special powers of legitimacy.
I would love to see the Cohorts in those games.

"What do you mean, you spend the entire yearly budget on a bunch of weird adepts? Again? Does this precinct look like the Spirit Wardens, sergeant? Does it?"

creases

Validated User
Band of Blades is about a military company on the march. The faction rules have been completely reworked to support that frame.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
Band of Blades is about a military company on the march. The faction rules have been completely reworked to support that frame.
Hrm. I was staying away from Band because I didn't care for the premise. I might have to pick it up for the mechanics.

Top Bottom