• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Forum Update Problem? Text Format Buttons Don't Work When Writing Post

Ficino

Rascally Rabbit
Validated User
Since the update, I've found that the 'buttons' that allow you to bold, italicize, etc. don't seem to work when I'm writing a post. It used to be that I could highlight a section and use the B button (for example) to turn it bold. Now when I try that, nothing happens. Oddly, after I've made the post, if I go back and edit it, the buttons work as they used to do.

Ilya

No creativity for titles
Validated User
They work fine here, both on my chromium-based browser and on Firefox Android. What browser you're using?

Also, check if you're not in bbcode mode. The buttons and hotkeys (ctrl+i, ctrl+b and others) only work in richtext mode. To toggle between modes click on the cog icon.

ranson

"Two Sheds"
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Regarding post edit tags and functions, the inline spoiler tag renders as almost invisible in the Big Purple skin. I realize it's supposed to be a smudging effect, but there's enough lack of contrast that I only barely see that something is supposed to be there.

Ficino

Rascally Rabbit
Validated User
They work fine here, both on my chromium-based browser and on Firefox Android. What browser you're using?

Also, check if you're not in bbcode mode. The buttons and hotkeys (ctrl+i, ctrl+b and others) only work in richtext mode. To toggle between modes click on the cog icon.
Thanks for the suggestions. I was in bbcode mode, so that's not the problem. As for browsers, I'm stuck with Internet Explorer.

I've also found I have the same problem Dweller in Darkness mentioned in another thread about the use of bold or italic (not on highlighted text, but 'turning them on' before typing) leading to a hard return.

Now I can't even get the buttons to work when editing a post I've already made. I'm back to manually writing the appropriate markup in the post. Not a big deal, really.

Last edited:

Endless Rain

Validated User
I have the same problem, and in addition I can't use the delete or backspace buttons to delete selected text.

Loew

Validated User
maybe it's a cache problem with old javascript code for the editor from before the update. You could try to empty the temp files for the forum or simply do a force reload (ctrl + r in IE, ctrl + f5 in most other browser)

Ficino

Rascally Rabbit
Validated User
maybe it's a cache problem with old javascript code for the editor from before the update. You could try to empty the temp files for the forum or simply do a force reload (ctrl + r in IE, ctrl + f5 in most other browser)
Thanks. I tried this but it doesn't seem to be the issue.

Ilya

No creativity for titles
Validated User
Thanks for the suggestions. I was in bbcode mode, so that's not the problem.
Did you mean you wasn't in bbcode mode, so that's not the problem?

But yeah, I tried it on IE (v11, old, I know). Looks like a javascript issue. I'm getting this on console:
SCRIPT5007: Unable to get property 'nextSibling' of undefined or null reference

Ficino

Rascally Rabbit
Validated User
Did you mean you wasn't in bbcode mode, so that's not the problem?

But yeah, I tried it on IE (v11, old, I know). Looks like a javascript issue. I'm getting this on console:
Yes, you're right--I meant 'not in bbcode mode.' Thanks for your legwork on this.

Endless Rain

Validated User
I'm still having the problem. In addition, whenever I try to paste text into the message box, it always sends it to the end instead of where its supposed to be. This didn't happen before the update.

Top Bottom