• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[FoW] Is 4th ed. any good?

Per Andersson

Tired and emotional
Validated User
Hey gang!

I just spotted a starter box for 4th ed. FoW, and I'm looking to get back into some sort of minis gaming after moving away from my regular group 2 years ago. I figure that FoW can be a bit less space intensive than 40k, as my new appartment is a bit small.

So, is 4th any good at low points, or should look for something else?

Ace the hero

Waaaghboss in Training
Validated User
The local FoW groups sort of collapsed in the wake of 4e, which means that I haven't really gotten to play it much. That is not to say it's not good for a new player. I don't get the sense that it's designed for low points levels, though. It would be less space intensive in that the minis are small, but you're still looking at a lot of minis for certain builds. A skirmish game it is not.

durecellrabbit

Validated User
If table space is a concern, FoW has the same standard table size of 6x4 feet. You can play smaller points games to use a smaller table, but it's tough for some armies to get their core units, and have enough for points left over for support to cover their weaknesses.

If it's storage space that is a concern then my standard 100 point army has 14 tanks, 4 artillery, a plane, 3 armoured cars, and 5 stands of infantry.

Per Andersson

Tired and emotional
Validated User
It's table space that's a concern, but I just got pointed at the foldable tables that gamemat.eu are releasing, so that problem might be solved.

Scutarii

Validated User
I played 3rd edition for a while before 4th came out. I think 4th is the most playable version FoW has had, it's done away with some of the bloat and kept the gameplay simpler as well as elevanted some of the more obscure 'things you could do' from being buried in text and understanding how bits fitted together into explicit orders and options for your models.

They are moving towards a fully plastic range of models and their value is pretty good all considered.

If it's something that interests you then FoW4th is defnitiely the version of the game I would recommend.

Of note is the rules work basically without change at smaller scales too. I play in 6mm sometimes and just use the measurements in the book without rescaling or resizing, works a treat.

Stingray

Validated User
Having been a tournament player during 2nd and 3rd edition here are my two eurocents: 4th edition is a lot more beginner friendly and streamlined, but in the process i think it lost a lot of appeal for someone interested in a complex and challenging game. 3rd edition had a complex but excellent ruleset without any major problems and lots of options and synergies. Those synergies (like using recce units to, well, recconoitre enemies for own troops) are no longer there. Also some of the mechanics make the whole thing look like a tank parking lot, unlike 3rd edition, where there was more flexibility in tank movement. Diversity of lists was also massively reduced, lists feel a lot more the same like they did in 3rd edition.
And finally there is a noticable emphasis on vehicles (probably to push the new plastic vehicle sprues, that were introduced in the new edition), whereas in 3rd edition you could play an almost pure infantry list with only minimum tank support and be successful.

So while it is still a good system, and generally i would recommend it to new players, i moved on to other things and a lot of veteran players did so aswell.

Scurrilous

Validated User
Yeah, it's cleaner, faster, and more streamlined, there's more plastics but it feels more gamey.

OMAC 247

Tired of your nonsense
Validated User
I've got to say the 'tank parking lot' was what kept me away from Fow and Team Yankee, but I've not really found an alternate I liked for WW2.
I have similar issues regarding space and my solution, bizarrely, may be just to switch to a larger sale Skirmish system so I can use what 28mm stuff I have Instead.

Ace the hero

Waaaghboss in Training
Validated User
4th edition is a lot more beginner friendly and streamlined, but in the process i think it lost a lot of appeal for someone interested in a complex and challenging game. [. . .]

So while it is still a good system, and generally i would recommend it to new players, i moved on to other things and a lot of veteran players did so aswell.
That seems to be the consensus among the local player base as well, yeah. If you're looking for a game of big tank on tank battles, it's still a good pick.

Scutarii

Validated User
It also seems to work well enough for combined arms locally. Tournament with 12 people I believe had at least two mid War British infantry companies that seemed to do alright as well.

An option to relieve the parking lot effect is to play at smaller scales, 6mm FoW works great!

Top Bottom