Free 12-player Nordic larp based on Beowulf

IdiotSavant

Validated User
Hrothgar's Hall: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5BYLdcLnzBORElDV0hUak12RUU/edit

(Also availble at http://diatribe.co.nz/download/file.php?id=886 for those having trouble with Google Drive)

Hrothgar's Hall is a small larp for 8 - 12 players. It is set in the world of the Anglo-Saxon epic Beowulf. If you're unfamiliar with the story: King Hrothgar builds a great hall, Heorot, but his endless feasting annoys a monster, Grendel, who raids the hall every night and kills Hrothgar's men while they sleep. Eventually Grendal is defeated by a wandering hero, Beowulf, who waits in the hall at night, wrestles the beast, and tears its arm off with his bare hands. But before he does, Hrothgar's warriors try to solve the problem themselves.

This larp is their story. Outwardly it is about heroic Danish warriors, boasting of the great deeds they have done and the greater deeds they will do, competing for the honour of being the first to challenge the monster. Inwardly, it is about doubt, shame, and fear, none of which can be admitted to or shown.

Inspired by New Voices in Art, Beowulf, and a bottle of mead.

Rrraoul

Retired User
I like the theme!

the "Speaking Your Mind" mechanic is interesting. I'd like to experience it. I imagine that it will break the immersion, since the characters are not hearing what the players are expressing, however I'm interested to see how it influences the engagement and story.

An alternate game on this beowulf theme - and one that would be more serious and dark - would be to begin prior to Beowulf arriving on the scene. All the warriors sleep in the mead hall, and each night some are taken away by Grendel to be eaten. What is it like to be part of this honorable band, sworn to serve their king, and know that tonight may be your last night on earth? Torn between honor, duty, and all they have to live for - and seemingly facing an indomitable foe. They come together to try and devise a solution to the dilemma (which most definitely would not be one person facing the beast, due to how powerful it is). Fast forward to the Grendel-Hour, when the monster rushes into the hall, and carries a few off to feast on. And then the debate continues, even more intensely. Then add the arrival of Beowulf's ship, his presence in the hall, his (or their) victory over the beast, the celebration feast, and then the final battle with Grendel's mother who comes seeking revenge for her son. With a quick and deadly combat system, I think this could be an exciting exploration of fear of death, honor, and courage.

IdiotSavant

Validated User
the "Speaking Your Mind" mechanic is interesting. I'd like to experience it. I imagine that it will break the immersion, since the characters are not hearing what the players are expressing, however I'm interested to see how it influences the engagement and story.
It definitely breaks immersion. The reward is you get some meta-game signalling on what people want you to do, and an easy way of re-involving yourself if you hit a slow patch, without being too intrusive.

The mechanic is lifted directly from New Voices in Art. If you're not sure about using it in this context, its worth trying in that one.

An alternate game on this beowulf theme - and one that would be more serious and dark - would be to begin prior to Beowulf arriving on the scene. All the warriors sleep in the mead hall, and each night some are taken away by Grendel to be eaten. What is it like to be part of this honorable band, sworn to serve their king, and know that tonight may be your last night on earth? Torn between honor, duty, and all they have to live for - and seemingly facing an indomitable foe. They come together to try and devise a solution to the dilemma (which most definitely would not be one person facing the beast, due to how powerful it is). Fast forward to the Grendel-Hour, when the monster rushes into the hall, and carries a few off to feast on. And then the debate continues, even more intensely. Then add the arrival of Beowulf's ship, his presence in the hall, his (or their) victory over the beast, the celebration feast, and then the final battle with Grendel's mother who comes seeking revenge for her son. With a quick and deadly combat system, I think this could be an exciting exploration of fear of death, honor, and courage.
Sounds like you have an idea for a game you want to write. I look forward to seeing it :)

Top Bottom