• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Free League Publishing (Fria Ligan) announce new Alien RPG [merged x2]

loconius

Validated User
I’m just happy that I can use the roleplaying game to ignore the elements that I didn’t like from the canon and focus on the parts I loved! Government agents investigating weyland yutani and the aftermaths of these xenonorph events sounds fun!

Reseru

Validated User
And man, if that counts as "demystified," I don't know what to tell you...And to the extent that they showed the proximate origin of the xenos (David playing god), part of that is a shift to understanding that the whole story is really about androids, not xenos. YMMV obviously, but that's a compelling story too, and I really like it.
I appreciate where you’re coming from, but the series IS called ALIEN - not ANDROID.

The prequel mythology demystifies it becomes it effectively CLOSES the universe and makes it smaller: the weird space jockey was from the race that created men, the xenomorphs were made by androids, and this all happened within the last couple hundred years.

That’s a big change from, “What other terrible things might be out there?” Because now the answer is, “Well, probably nothing given that every event relates back to Earth.”

blaster219

Validated User
Why does it close the universe? Why does it make everything about Earth?

You think the Engineers created humans and the black goo and ... called it a day? Why did they create us, why did they create the goo, what else did they create?

And where are they now?

CoreyHaim8myDog

Validated User
I’m just happy that I can use the roleplaying game to ignore the elements that I didn’t like from the canon and focus on the parts I loved! Government agents investigating weyland yutani and the aftermaths of these xenonorph events sounds fun!
I started a novel about a former Welyand-Yutani alien investigator that is good. You can get it on KIndle in the Alien Omnibus 7, I think? If you have interest, I'll look up the title.

macd21

Validated User
Why does it close the universe? Why does it make everything about Earth?

You think the Engineers created humans and the black goo and ... called it a day? Why did they create us, why did they create the goo, what else did they create?

And where are they now?
It closes the universe by answering the questions we had about it. Before, the space jockey and the aliens were mysteries, but now we have the answers.

And it’s all about Earth because everything is connected to it. The Space Jockies created humanity. An Android created the aliens.

Damian May

Apex Predator
Validated User
I think the prequels are worse for the series than Alien Resurrection. The first three movies establish that the universe is actively hostile to intelligent life. Alien Resurrection at least postulates an answer: adopt some of the traits of the hostile universe. The prequels introduce a bunch of white buff dudes who seem to be responsible for the hostility, as well as for humans.
Yep, Resurrection has some problems sure but the prequels are just terrible from end to end by pretty much every metric except, possibly, cinematography.

Per Andersson

Tired and emotional
Validated User
Unfortunately, none of the designers of the game were in the booth when I stopped by at the con/expo/thingy yesterday. My understanding was that the design team will cherry pick stuff from the extended universe outside the movies, and that the first three* movies will be canon.

I think the engine will be tweaked a touch from Coriolis.

Not much new information, I'm afraid.

*) I'm a bit unsure if the game is set after Aliens or after A3. So it's possibly just the first two movies.

Derek

Validated User
*) I'm a bit unsure if the game is set after Aliens or after A3. So it's possibly just the first two movies.
The designers have said it will be set several years after Alien 3. I'm not a fan of the film myself (I really only care for the first two, and Isolation), but I imagine it will be easy enough to discard elements I don't like.

Rich H

Owl Be Back!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Top Bottom