• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Free League Publishing (Fria Ligan) announce new Alien RPG [merged x2]

@robowieland

Follow me on Twitter!
Validated User
This Starter Set focusses on the cinematic mode. However, the three campaign modes are confirmed as space truckers, colonists, or colonial marines.
I kind of want to do a mix and match campaign where the PCs are in charge with protecting a colony ship en route to its destination. Marines protect the ship, truckers run supplies and colonists keep the ones in the freezers alive.

Praetorian

Go Rangers!
Validated User
I know this is super ticky-tack, but for a game that envisions the characters doing a lot of play on spaceships -- far too many of the weapons are armor piercing (or, at least, there arent enough non-AP options ). Admittedly, this is probably in theme, but still.

Also, the smartgun seems to have some form of rudimentary AI OS, right? Oh, thats going to be fun when it goes full on 'Bishop' during an encounter.

Hunter 21

Validated User
I know this is super ticky-tack, but for a game that envisions the characters doing a lot of play on spaceships -- far too many of the weapons are armor piercing (or, at least, there arent enough non-AP options ). Admittedly, this is probably in theme, but still.

Also, the smartgun seems to have some form of rudimentary AI OS, right? Oh, thats going to be fun when it goes full on 'Bishop' during an encounter.
Thankfully, punching tiny holes in bulkheads isn't as dangerous as you'd think for a ship, all you'd have to worry about is leaking O2 and getting a quick patch job done, keeping your O2 mask handy solves a large portion of what makes a minor breach like that dangerous, and if you're not the one boarding you just have to seal the compromised compartment/s and let the intruders asphyxiate after you've pulled back any of your crew, while getting your repair crews on the line to patch any holes after the fight.

The M56 doesn't have an AI, it uses IR, visual and section to platoon level sensors (IR, Radar, Seismic etc.) to pick out potential targets, using an IFF (Identify Friend Foe) system to keep friendly fire to 0% outside of glitches and operator error. Each USCM Marine has an IFF transponder built in to their M3 armor, this helps with not only the M56 but the UA-571-C Sentry Gun, along with a platoon's man portable and vehicle based heavy weapons (APC based and man packed mortars, BVR rockets,.Free Electron lasers, tank-based weapons etc.)

Plus, the M56 Smartgun is a Marine, it wouldn't rebel. All it'd do is frag the officer, then ask the Sergeant for new orders and Friend/Foe confirmations.

Last edited:

Griffon Games

Game Store Guy
Validated User
Quick question - when you did your pre-order how and when did you get access to the starter set? I placed my order last night, got confirmation about it shortly after but no starter.

Ben W Bell

Analyst for hire.
Validated User
Ordered as soon as the pre-orders opened, got my link yesterday. I get the impression while their site is automated, the sending out of the link to the starter on DriveThru is a manual operation.

Reseru

Validated User
I also ordered last night, about 10 or 12 hours ago, but haven't gotten it. I was hoping it'd be instant and downloadable through your receipt or something but oh well.

Would anyone like to spill the beans on how player agendas work in Cinematic mode?

Praetorian

Go Rangers!
Validated User
Thankfully, punching tiny holes in bulkheads isn't as dangerous as you'd think for a ship, all you'd have to worry about is leaking O2 and getting a quick patch job done, keeping your O2 mask handy solves a large portion of what makes a minor breach like that dangerous, and if you're not the one boarding you just have to seal the compromised compartment/s and let the intruders asphyxiate after you've pulled back any of your crew, while getting your repair crews on the line to patch any holes after the fight.
Yeah, no way that goes wrong. Especially in a game where panic and resource management seem to be core concepts and we have rules for explosive decompression due to weapons fire (p71).

The M56 doesn't have an AI, it uses IR, visual and section to platoon level sensors (IR, Radar, Seismic etc.) to pick out potential targets, using an IFF (Identify Friend Foe) system to keep friendly fire to 0% outside of glitches and operator error. Each USCM Marine has an IFF transponder built in to their M3 armor, this helps with not only the M56 but the UA-571-C Sentry Gun, along with a platoon's man portable and vehicle based heavy weapons (APC based and man packed mortars, BVR rockets,.Free Electron lasers, tank-based weapons etc.)
It doesn't have an AI built in, but at least previous writeups (including from the Tech manual) note that it does operate using software. Its a sci fi game. If there is software, there is a chance for it to be corrupted on my gaming table... especially the 'advanced' version the company wants my players' unit to try out. Y'know, the one with the advanced fire control and more robust IFF pattern recognition? Yeah, its a bit heavier, but thats because its processor is that much bigger.

...oh, and the company is doing the same mods to the sentry guns. Should be pretty boss for your guys out in the field.

Last edited:

MrJupiter

Validated User
Does anyone have an idea as to how long the pre-order will be offering the special/discounted rates? I won't be able to place mine until the 13th of June.

Top Bottom