• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Free League Publishing (Fria Ligan) announce new Alien RPG [merged x2]

MatchstickUK

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Just had reason to crack open the Coriolis core book and notice on page 10, under the Three Tips for Inspiration sidebar
Alien, by Ridley Scott. Dark, deep-space horror and retrofuturistic spaceships fit perfectly with the world of Coriolis.

Reseru

Validated User
That’s very fitting because Coriolis is probably my favorite sci-fi setting originating in tabletop (others being Dune, Stargate, and Barsoom). It’s why I’m so particularly excited not only for an Alien game but that Fria Ligan is handling it!

Neaden

Validated User
The one worry I have is how to maintain a sense of mystery in a campaign. As with Lovecraft we have a horror setting that was premised on being unique and new that has become well known. You can't surprise the layers with a facehugger or the reveal of acid blood anymore. The toys had plenty of variants of the xenomorphs based on different animals that I think would work well in the setting but ultimately I think that the writers will need to find a way to keep things fresh and not worry as much about sticking to just one conception of xenomorphs.

Reseru

Validated User
They know that, too. They’re going to be including other monsters and creatures; a story anthology called Bug Hunt was cited as inspiration.

Skywalker

Back Off the Buddha!
Validated User
As well as non-monster based horror and adversity. Sounds like there will be corporate conflict, survival, and threats of a scientific nature as well.

Gee4orce

Validated User
The one worry I have is how to maintain a sense of mystery in a campaign. As with Lovecraft we have a horror setting that was premised on being unique and new that has become well known..
Yet there are new Cthulhu games coming out all the time.

One question I haven't seen answered is what about the Prometheus timeline? Presumably this is (sadly) canon now, and with the game being set after Aliens, then the events of Prometheus and it's sequel are in the past. I did notice a Prometheus style sculpture in the artwork. I really hate what they did with Prometheus, so I'm hoping it's influence isn't overplayed in the setting. I'm likely to invent my own backstory explanation for the Xenomorphs and Space Jockeys. Basically any Alien movie other than Alien and Aliens might as well not exist as far as I care.

Top Bottom