• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Free RPG Day 2019 Any Plans to Run a Game?

Just came across your post and wanted to give a shout out to you. Kudos! I'd never heard of Free RPG Day and glad I searched the east coast. Many stores to play and run games. Thanks!

farseerixirvost

Member in Good Standing
Validated User
I'm not inspired by this year's offerings. So I'm thinking I'll run a 5e 3rd party thing (SciFi Esper Genesis or Cyberpunk Carbon 2185) or something using the new Savage Worlds ruleset. Shadow of the Beanstalk is also high on my list. Part of it depends on having physical product (which Carbon 2185 and SWADE probably won't by then).

urbwar

Hallowicked
Validated User
Yeah, the free stuff this year is pretty weak. Ortrail got a copy of Supers! from the publisher to give away for our games this year, which was a nice gesture on their part (I had inquired if we could get some printed copies of the quickstart to give away, but this is pretty awesome). Should make our games extra special this year

ORtrail

Validated User
An advertising budget well spent. :)

The plan is also to give away a few comics after our super hero adventures are run. I managed to pick up some Action Lab comics for less than cover price online, and urbwar was going to give away some of those Marvel True Believers reprints of classic Fantastic Four comics.

CbytheSeaGameGirl; Well, cool. Free RPG Day has been around decade or so, but it didn't become a thing for me until 2016. It will live or die by the support game stores and players give it.

Yipe

Validated User
Red Castle Games in Portland, OR announced that they're hosting a Free RPG Day event. They have 2 entire kits to give away plus a bunch of other goodies from the store's RPG collection. Each person gets 1 random prize pull from their "Dungeon Box" or you can pick your prize if you play in a demo.

Starting at 11 AM, they are running a total of 14 demos with a new demo starting every hour until 7 PM. That's a lot of gaming :oops:. Their focus this year is on small press RPGs. The demo list includes Blades in the Dark, The Secrets of Cats, Kids on Bikes, Monsterhearts, Mouse Guard and Delta Green.

They're also hosting a miniatures "Paint Party" from 1-3 PM where you get a free mini and can use their paints/supplies.

Last edited:

g33k

Banned
Validated User
Yeah, the free stuff this year is pretty weak...
Well, it isn't the stuff YOU most wanted to see (or me, frankly). But "not to my taste" is different from "weak".

For example, R.Tal's new quickstart for the Witcher ... that apparently has a LOT of folks drooling!
Not one but THREE(!) Paizo products.
Mythic D6, Kids on Bikles, Modern AGE.... I've seen lots of praise & interest here on RPGnet, for all those.
And more, besides!

So... yeah, it's a decent offering, IMHO.

Personally -- if I run anything, my time is deeply impacted by family obligations and I may not be available for any multi-hour timeslot -- it'll be something else, likely either Chaosium's RQG, or Atlas Games' semi-quiescent Ars Magica.

urbwar

Hallowicked
Validated User
Well, it isn't the stuff YOU most wanted to see (or me, frankly). But "not to my taste" is different from "weak".
I wasn't expecting anything. I never do. I don't participate in Free RPG Day for the freebies; I do so to run and play games with people. If I feel the offerings are weak, I'm expressing my personal opinion. It's neither right nor wrong. So please don't try and tell me how to express that opinion.

Top Bottom