IC [Freebooters on the Frontier] The Gate

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User
#51
Black Zsofika paces around behind Veronika. She keeps her hands clasped behind her back, peering over the other woman's shoulder. "Well. We're certainly in the right place," she mutters.

OOC: I really wish I had a spell that was more attuned to gathering information. :(
 

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
#52
Devilfish

"It seems that each fish here is much the same as the other ones. There's little need for me to inspect every fish in every basket. Is the cat also preserved here in the mortuary?"

OOC: Veronika's been on several witch hunts before. I'm spending my hold from Perceive earlier to determine what pattern these particular instances of witchery have in common with what I've experienced before and how they differ. This should help me determine where to look.
 

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
#53
These things always take a familiar course, Devilfish. Generally unrelated-seeming mysterious things happen in a community with sufficient proximity to each other that the locals become convinced that witchcraft is to blame, then they cast back in the series of events for something that serves as a presaging event to the 'curse' of the town. Eventually, some theme forms in the types of calamities to befall the community, though a skeptical mind could point out that among any two dozen oddities can be found some loose pattern. Eventually, there's enough weight of 'evidence' to point to someone. Sometimes that person even might actually be a witch. You knew one Rightfinder whose witches, miraculously, were always someone of significant wealth who was vulnerable in some deeply flawed way, who insisted on confiscating the witch's property 'for Ehre'. It's really too bad that Rightmaker fell to the blade of an angry inheritor; that was a lucrative assignment.

Was it enjoyable taking the Lord Rightmaker's revenge on that family and their neighbors?

Bridge certainly has an excellent formative event, with the birth of this strange child. With less than a half-dozen calamities, it's still a bit early for any pattern or theme to emerge. It's pretty interesting, really, that two of the complaints are crop-related. Though it is the time of year for problems to be discovered with crops, if the farmers haven't been overly attentive once the fields started to grow in earnest.
 
Last edited:

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
#54
The Watch Captain steps to another table, one with heavy drawers built underneath it. She opens a drawer to the side and removes another basket. Inside, on a heavy matting of many reeds and grasses (to soak up effluvia) is a mutilated black cat. Its belly has been cut open with a jagged knife and most if its innards have been scooped out. It looks like three long, heavy nails were used to attach it to the door. One of them is hanging loose out of the cat. The other two are in the basket, and there's three holes in the cat.

The expression on the cat's face might be considered unnerving. Its mouth is open wide and twisted and its eyes bulge. The appearance has the effect of making it look as though the cat is, even now, screaming in terror. The whole animal is firm with rigor mortis.
 

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
#55
There's a quick knock and the door to the outside opens. Brisk footsteps sound through the main room, and then a medium yellow-skinned woman wearing chainmail pokes her head into the side chamber you're in. She has a strikingly small nose. She starts at sight of the three of you, though surely she knew you were here if she was seeking the Watch Captain. She sketches a quick curtsy.

"Watch Captain, there's been a new discovery. It's in the gardens of the inn and the Midwife."

Kristina von Stroheim turns to look at the woman, then introduces her to the three of you. "My deputy, Fülöp Zora. Lord and Ladies Rightfinder, do you wish to make further examination of these items? If so, the watch will keep guard over the new find. I will stay to answer your questions. Or, if you prefer, we can return after seeing the new discovery."
 

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
#56
Devilfish

Was it enjoyable taking the Lord Rightmaker's revenge on that family and their neighbors?
OOC: Only the pleasure in a job well done. Veronika almost completely amoral, but she's not a sadist. She will pursue an assignment given by means others might consider excessive or distasteful, but they are just that, means to an end. She simply relishes expediency.

"No, I think there is little more to be gained here. Should the circumstances changes such that a return is necessary, I'm sure it will be only a minor inconvenience to arrange things as such. If an incident has occurred, there is little more valuable than being on the scene as quickly as possible before the trail goes cold."

Veronika removes her gloves, taking care to loosen each finger one at a time before removing the right glove. She grasps the right glove by its insides and then carefully removes the left glove, gripping it through the right. At no point in the process does a drop of the rotted fish touch her skin.
 

Artaud le momo

Registered User
Validated User
#57
Lukacs

Lukacs lets his distaste for the perpetrator of the cat's mangling loom large on his face as the poor animal's body is produced. As a veteran soldier, he is plainly accustomed to man's inhumanity to his fellow man, but he is always appalled by man's cruelty to animals, and for once, his face shows the emotions he feels rather than presenting a blank facade, as is his usual style.

When the assistant enters with news of the new discovery, and Veronika states her preference for immediate investigation, Lukacs concurs with a sharp nod. Hopefully no-one will have messed up the crime scene too much before they arrive, if the group acts quickly.
 

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User
#58
Black Zsofika approaches the box with the dead cat, her focus intent. Pulling a small stick from a pouch at her side, she prods at the poor dead creature, considering its possible arcane significance.

She is lost in thought as the messenger enters, does not even react to his pronouncement.

OOC: I want to know something about this cat. http://orokos.com/roll/711845: 2d6+2 13
 

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
#59
OOC: I want to know something about this cat. http://orokos.com/roll/711845: 2d6+2 13
OOC: Nice roll! Ask away. Feel free to ask a bundle of questions, but I need to know the direction/thrust of your inquiry. Was that a Know Something or a Perceive move?
 

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User
#60
OOC: Know Something.

Let's start with

Is there anything explicitly magical about this cat or the situation of it's death?

Are there any rituals or spells I have learned about that would involve a dead cat in this way?
 
Top Bottom