• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

IC [Freebooters on the Frontier] The Gate

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
Devilfish

"I'm sure people will be very excited to have a drink with witchhunters," Zsofika scoffs, maybe a little too loudly.
"Of course, the common folk are always happy to chat with the Blues and Purples. No, the best course is to play it straight. They all know why we're here and they know what the consequences will be should we fail. Their tongues will loosen without too much prompting. That said, I appreciate the beverage, a fine batch indeed. How can I repay you, Asszony Magyar?"

Draining the last of her beer, Veronika turns back to the Watch Captain.

"Did you learn anything from your cobbler about who might have had boots like that?"
 

Artaud le momo

Slicey Bois FTW
Validated User
Lukacs

Lukacs makes a mental note to investigate Zora to discover the secrets they may be hiding, He will continue to press the watch captain and her underlings to see if anything seems to take shape in the manner of the concealment. Is Zora covering up a particular part of the investigation? Trying to direct the captain's investigation either toward or away from a particular angle? Undermining the investigation? Lukacs presses both for further information if it becomes clearer where the concealment lies, in order to see if the captain does pick up on it eventually as it becomes more overt. Is there some enchantment or beguilement at play here?

Lukacs also makes a note that he hopes the gardener is not connected to the witch in any way. He likes the no-nonsense man, he reminds Lukacs of one of his soldiers who would always be happy to give his views, and with the experience of years, he was often correct too.
 

Atlictoatl

Powered by the Apocryphal
Validated User
OOC: I'm calling that a Perceive move. Lukacs perceive roll: 2d6+1 3 Mark Wisdom.

You guide the conversation to put some stresses on where you think it might make things more clear for you, Lukacs. Nothing clarifies, other than you're certain Zora is hiding something from the Watch Captain and the Watch Captain seems to not notice. Your mistrust solidifies, but it looks like you'll either need to be more direct or rope one of your colleagues in to crack things open more.

Unfortunately, both Zora and the Watch Captain notice that you're angling towards something. They aren't resisting your lines of inquiry, but they're exchanging looks with each other and you realize that you're starting to drive a wedge between them and you that wasn't there before.
 

Atlictoatl

Powered by the Apocryphal
Validated User
Out here in the open, she can once again feel the eyes of the dead on her. It's not an unfamiliar feeling, spirits have followed her as long as she can remember, but the weight of their interest is a constant psychic presence.
Some of them are standing around, watching proceedings like their living neighbors, Zsofika. A few even have ghost tankards of ghost beer.

"Did you learn anything from your cobbler about who might have had boots like that?"
The Watch Captain frowns. "Most make their own shoes here. We lack a dedicated cobbler. The Tailor was unable to make sense of it, and recommended I speak with the Tinker, who is his supplier for shoes that are not local. Ivan Lorenz was not accepting visitors the times I called, and then the Councilors decide to call you in. Perhaps he would open his door for you."

Hrm. Szilágyi Lana, the angry, precise skeptic who you noted at the Ceremony, and who the Mayor identified as 'the one to watch', was noted to you as handling the affairs of the Tinker and the Blacksmith. Husband and brother?

Any of you who were attentive and tend to remember such things could recollect that association.
 

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
Devilfish

"Indeed, perhaps he will. I'd certainly prefer that people talk willingly, though I do fear that our presence at this Sampling Stroll Asszony Magyar has proposed may put a bit of a damper on the event for the people of this town. That said, we do need to find this witch and time is a factor. I'm willing to mix business and pleasure this once, I suppose."

Veronika smiles and the corners of her eyes crinkle. Surprisingly, it looks almost genuine.

OOC: Based on my Google Translate abilities, Asszony is the Hungarian equivalent of Misses, so that's why I'm using it.
 

Artaud le momo

Slicey Bois FTW
Validated User
Lukacs

"Perhaps if we use the stroll as a way of more informally announcing our presence, in contrast to the dog's breakfast that was our formal introduction, we might get somewhere," Lukacs says drily. "Let's not get too heavy tonight. Use the opportunity to meet and greet on a personal level, get a gut feeling abut those we meet, and more importantly, start putting some names to faces. Look for anything out of the ordinary or suspicious by any means, but tonight isn't an inquisition. And let's see if we can note anyone who doesn't take part."
 

Atlictoatl

Powered by the Apocryphal
Validated User
The sights here in the Midwife's garden seen, you begin a stroll back to the Inn, accompanied by the Watch Captain and the Innkeeper. Gilbert the gardener is ordered to stay behind and collect the snails from here and other gardens. Fülöp Zora and the Watch Captain exchange a wary look with each other, wondering what you were up to, Lukacs. Zora stays behind, ostensibly to watch over Gilbert.

On the way, you ask to see the cat post, Zsofika. The Innkeeper begs off, citing a need to prepare for the stroll. The Watch Captain leads you to the Schoolhouse.

It's well-built, though perhaps a bit small for a community of this size, but the Schoolhouse is otherwise not remarkable. The markings from the posted cat have been washed off, though you can still see the nail holes in the door. Nothing else is visible with the naked eye pertaining to the cat posting. But there is some graffiti written on the wall of the building, next to the door, and in the upper right corner of the doorframe is etched a small symbol.

All of you recognize the symbol as the sigil of The Lodge, a social organization representing the 'artificial trades', organized around rituals to appease the Firebringer and to support each other in their business endeavors. They are generally more progressive than many social groups, not so dogmatic about the Three Avatars and open to other beliefs and groups (as contrasted with the Cult of the Three Avatars, who have been known in some communities to commit prejudicial violence deep in the woods outside their towns).

The graffiti is a few separate phrases scrawled on the wall in different hands:

not so smart now
A History of Boredom
WITCH LOVER!


As you're looking the place over, the bald, blue-skinned, dour-looking man from the Ceremony -- the bespectacled one, wearing a formal suit, who spat into the ground and stalked off -- turns the corner about thirty feet off, carrying a washbucket and a scrub brush in his hands. He's changed out of the suit and is wearing more workaday clothes now. He takes one look at you all assembled in front of the schoolhouse, halts, pivots on his heel, and strides back the way he came, disappearing back around the corner.

A low bell starts ringing, from the direction of the Inn. You hear the Innkeeper's voice pitched to carry through the streets of the town. "Sampling... Stroll!"

"That was the Schoolmaster," the Watch Captain points out. "Jonathan Wallner."

Spoiler: Show
Zsofika luck roll: 2d6 7
http://orokos.com/roll/715231: 4#1d100 27 18 37 68
 
Last edited:

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
Devilfish

"Indeed? His clear desire not to speak with us makes me all the more interested in what he might have to say."

Veronika makes a note in her notebook, pursing her lips as she takes care to reproduce both the graffiti and mark Wallner's rather suspicious behavior.

"There will be time enough to examine the scene in more detail tomorrow. I doubt much of significance will change her other than the graffiti, and now that I have it written down we'll be able to inspect it at our leisure. Lead on, Watch Captain."
 

Artaud le momo

Slicey Bois FTW
Validated User
Lukacs

Lukacs also notes the schoolmaster's strange actions, especially when coupled with his prior actions.

"It may simply be that he finds our presence here distasteful and unwanted. If he is a teacher, he may pride himself on being a rational man who sees no evidence of witchcraft in the world and thinks it mere superstition and foolishness. If he does believe that, then he is the town's biggest fool. Just because he has not seen evidence does not support the fact that witches do live in the world, and cause immense harm."

After a further cursory inspection of the door (and noting the symbols and words), Lukacs nods his assent. "Yes, lead on Captain, if you please. If you're happy to continue, Zsofica?"
 

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User
Zsofika smiles at Lukacs, patting the leader of their troupe on the shoulder, "You certainly choose to see the something in people. Innocence, I suppose."

"As for me, I think there is more at this schoolhouse for us to see. But, it has been a long day, and we have traveled long, come let us make merry with the folk of this town," she waves her hand dismissively, "I am sure we will all have a wonderful time and not be seen as figures of mistrust and deep suspicion at all."

"Perhaps there will even be dancing." Her violet-lipped sneer is a sight to behold.
 
Top Bottom