• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

OOC [Freebooters on the Frontier] The Gate

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
I'm okay with either option (indestructible or dying quick and fast), as both can be good, story-wise, especially with OSR type hex crawls.

Mr Prim, you said in the recruitment thread that Zsofika and Lukacs were partners - business, romantic, or both? I'm happy with any of those options.

Have power back. Hurray!
Hurray indeed!

To be honest, I'd be a bit miffed if we had main characters dying after the work we put in on creating them - this isn't exactly a game where I rolled 3d6 down the line, grabbed a standardized equipment pack, and went back to playing. That said, serious injuries that might require significant effort via questing, etc to recover from seem like something that would be reasonable to put on the table.

Atlictoatl

Powered by the Apocryphal
Validated User
I'm going to wait for Zsofika's next IC post before moving things forward, as I want to make sure to not step on any reaction she might have to my latest post.

MrPrim

Bleak Academic
Validated User
Sorry, will get my post in once I get to work.

I failed my Saving Throw Roll and am going to take Anxious. (I should have spent Luck on the first roll, but I'll let it slide).

Atlictoatl

Validated User
Thanks, MrPrim.

Apologies, all. This is a poor way to get a game started. My days these days are especially busy, as I'm finally getting some momentum in my jobsearch after a year. I'd normally be able to keep pace going, but this is likely to be an expository scenario for me as the GM, and it's especially so in these very early moments of the game, as I establish not just some characterization and some plot, but also some depth of setting, and tone, and the possible directions this thing could go in. It being an investigation scenario also means I want to be placing a lot of different avenues you can pursue, with the intent of some of them coming together at different points.

The short of which is that I have some reluctance to sit down and start writing the update, if I don't have an hour to weave it.

I anticipate having time this afternoon/evening to move things forward. It would have been last night, but my "monthly gaming group" that meets more like every three months finally got a session in. (As an aside, City of Mists is a weird game, mechanically.)

Ok, /apology and /explanation. I'll update tonight.

Lysus

Validated User
I could go on for quite a while about my disappointment with City of Mist, but it's neither here nor there.

Atlictoatl

Validated User
"You would have to inquire with the Watch Captain for the specifics," the Mayor replies, "but I have been assured that she has ruled out any mundane mischief, petty prankery or revenge, rival townships, enemy forces, and other such matters as would be wrought by men."

"As for the other, we are a law-abiding township, my Lord, not a backwoods village of Bizalom. We know our place. We do not obstruct, intervene, or comport our own hunt for witches. We have learned our lesson. That is your sanctum, and yours alone." She looks solemnly contrite.

She waves her hand to dispel the gloom and dismiss the subjects of her next comment. "I am certain rumours abound... how could they not! But that is not for any of us to interfere upon. I assure you no official of the Bridge of Saint Cleareyes has impinged upon your investigation. We all defer to your authority." She looks a little defensive as she makes that last comment.
A query on how you all would prefer to run the game. There's a few things embedded in the above response that you could follow-up on, either conversationally or with a roll. Would you prefer that I call those out openly/directly, or that I continue to signal/hint to them as I have above?

I'm fine with either method. I know that this probably isn't people's only game and that you may be visiting the game at work or times when it doesn't have your full attention, so understand if flagging some stuff is preferable. On the other hand, you may enjoy knowing that there's stuff for you to read into and pull apart. Let me know.

The Mayor cracks into a hard candy with her teeth from a half-full bowl on her desk. She offers the bowl around, if any of you are interested in such fare as a morning treat.

"The mother was driven from town, a servant in the household of the Notary. Petra Inksblood. Unfortunately, we do not know who the father is."

(Petra Inksblood is the attractive person of indeterminate gender with marks of two of the Avatars carved in their face.)
I'm also curious about whether you prefer parantheticals like the above one or not. Making them early on, while personalities are still new, makes some sense to me, though I may not continue to do so with every personage throughout the tale. On the other hand, if you prefer managing the web of folks yourselves, I can do less of the reminders and asides.

Lysus

Validated User
Speaking for myself, I like the parentheticals. As for the first bit, right now this game is feeling a bit more like the OSR PbPs that I participate in where I just sort of narrate what I'm doing and then the GM rolls for something if necessary. Maybe I need to shift my thinking such that I play it more like I've played previous Dungeon World games where I explicitly attempt to make moves, because most of what Veronika's done in this scene has been bordering on threats.

Artaud le momo

Slicey Bois FTW
Validated User
I'm n two minds over the parentheticals, but I can see the arguments in favour of them, so I think I'll vote for that.

Artaud le momo

Slicey Bois FTW
Validated User
I'd better not burn any luck, I'm already dangerously low on it anyway, and might really need it sometime later.

Top Bottom