OOC [Freebooters on the Frontier] The Gate

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
Is it possible to get some kind of roll to see what the watch captainis getting at with her silence and look?
Absolutely. I could see Lukacs paying close attention (trigger for Perceive) or asking someone to do something that goes against their better judgement (trigger for Negotiation). You might see another angle. What would Lukacs do in the fiction, or is there a specific approach you want to take towards a specific Move?

Artaud le momo

Validated User
I'm more of a fan of the organically appearing Moves rather than going looking for instances when I can apply a Move, if tht makes sense, so I think the former is the better fit. It felt like a cryptic comment that with a bit of reflection Lukacs could have picked up on, and I was wondering if some sort of Move best fit that process.

Atlictoatl

Validated User
I'm more of a fan of the organically appearing Moves rather than going looking for instances when I can apply a Move, if tht makes sense, so I think the former is the better fit. It felt like a cryptic comment that with a bit of reflection Lukacs could have picked up on, and I was wondering if some sort of Move best fit that process.
Sure. I mention those two triggers because I could see someone in this position eyeballing it or asking about it (it being the Watch Captain's reaction). I think it's fine to get there organically.

Put something up in the IC thread, and I'll respond. :)

Atlictoatl

Validated User
Regarding my most recent post (the perceived response of the Watch Captain), I don't want that to be any sort of 'gotcha' and am realizing we haven't really discussed the 'realities' of witchburning.

Are witches necessarily evil or actually antithetical to society, though? Maybe I'm off the map here, but in most witchburning stories the witchburners aren't the heroes. Is this a place where witches are actually harming the populace, or are they a convenient scapegoat for an authoritarian regime bent on creating a villain for the masses so that they don't instead direct their ire at their real oppressors?
You all can have your opinions separate from any meta-knowledge of the true facts.

This is one of those witchburning stories where moral certitude is meant to be queried against, for the players, if not for the PCs (though possibly for them, as well).
We visited the idea briefly in the recruitment thread, though it was directed more against the motivation of the witches. Our setup is that magic-users who aren't constrained are a danger to society, so I do think witches could pose a real threat. We haven't really discussed the Witchfinders, though.

In IC, your characters have mostly been displaying an earnestness about their role and a frustration when interacting with folks who are anything other than completely forthright, and have leveraged the threats of Rightmaker annihilation for a lack of compliance.

There have been incidents in the past where the zealotry of the Lord Rightmaker and her agents has been extreme, and you would all be aware of this. We haven't had a meta-discussion about how prevalent those events are, nor have we fully identified what exactly your characters know about that, how they feel about it if they do know, or how they would feel about it if they learned of it.

For the purposes of the larger goals of this game, I think it important that I include a component that could build up -- over a relatively short amount of time -- a degree of mistrust, confusion, or even enmity with the larger society, to help facilitate the willingness of the characters to travel through a portal without a dominant agenda of bringing knowledge and resources found there back to their homeland. The goal once we get through the gate is to keep moving forwards.

There are plenty of ways of manufacturing that. Disillusionment with the home society doesn't need to be the driving force, but it could be an option.

To that end, I'm leaning towards the idea that witchburnings are as much about the governmental benefits as anything else. It's a way for the governing body to leverage control over a small community. As such, it may have its corruptions. Those corruptions may be greater than your characters have previously realized, or your characters may be complicit in both the corruption or its coverup.

Allegations on the part of citizens of Bridge that witchfinding/witchburning is less than a noble pursuit may be completely new to your character, even with years of experience doing it.

Please feel free to discuss any of this in OOC that you feel compelled to. If you heartily dislike this possible angle, we can discuss and I can modify it.

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
Veronika is definitely complicit - she doesn't really care whether the witch is guilty or not, she's in it for positioning in "office politics," so to speak.

Atlictoatl

Validated User
You've known more than one Rightfinder whose witches, miraculously, were always someone of significant wealth who was vulnerable in some deeply flawed way, who insisted on confiscating the witch's property 'for Ehre'. It's really too bad that Rightmaker fell to the blade of an angry inheritor; that was a lucrative assignment.
That's from the IC post, but it came out wrong. I meant it to say "You knew a Rightfinder whose witches...." I've corrected it in the post.

Artaud le momo

Validated User
Lukacs is much more idealist, though a pessimistic one. He has seen what damage a witch can do, but has also seen the damage that an investigation that gets out of hand (or is overly harsh) can do. He is determined to find the witch - an actual witch, not a scapegoat. He also knows that many witch hunters are either corrupt, looking for an easy "win" that doesn't solve the problem and allows the witches to continue to cause harm, or to line their own pockets, or are overly zealous, of the "let the gods sort them out" kind, and who think nothing of innocents that are harmed in an overly broad or vicious inquisition.

For my on thoughts, I think the Lord Rightmaker is of the second type rather than the first, and that most of the higher-ranking witch-hunters are of similar mien in both cases described above (and many of the lower ranking ones too). Initial records suggest that many of thewitch hunters had similar thoughts to Lukacs, but as time has gone on, more and more people are attracted to the position of witch-hunter due to corruption, esire for power over others, or plain sadism, until now he is very much in the minority - perhaps even within this small group. he is worried that the entire institution will be given over to those who would prosper at the pain of others, and that the empire itself seems to be at ease with this state of affairs. This is probably what will drive Lukacs to flee and not return.

Atlictoatl

Validated User
For my on thoughts, I think the Lord Rightmaker is of the second type rather than the first, and that most of the higher-ranking witch-hunters are of similar mien in both cases described above (and many of the lower ranking ones too). Initial records suggest that many of thewitch hunters had similar thoughts to Lukacs, but as time has gone on, more and more people are attracted to the position of witch-hunter due to corruption, esire for power over others, or plain sadism, until now he is very much in the minority - perhaps even within this small group.
Unless you all were to state an alternate preference, my perspective on the Lord Rightmaker is that she is one of the highest officials within the religious hierarchy of the State, and also has tremendous secular authority. Her remit is to be the investigative agent into the moral health of the nation of Ehre, and her goal would be for a nation more thoroughly united under religious rule. To that end, she turns a blind eye to many of the corruptions of her agents, the Rightfinders, as their actions serve to bring the day of fully religious rule closer, and a populace that fears its governors promises to be a morally healthy one.

She is also an agent of the Laws of Ehre, so were proof of corruption or malfeasance on the part of her agents to be formally presented to her, she would take swift action against those bad actors. The Claim of Oversight is a real, legal, constraint and it binds even the Lord Rightmaker.

When I rolled up the qualities of the nation of Ehre, Law, Honor, and Discipline were its core values. It's a nation of iron (figuratively and literally), and despite being a smaller polity it holds a certain footprint in its region because of those traits.

There are probably other factions within national governance that resist the weight of encroachment of the 'religious state', though I suspect they are failing. Ehre will probably be a full-on oligarchy within the next decade.

Last edited:

Atlictoatl

Validated User
I modified my last IC post, deciding there wasn't much sense in enticing you to also make a Perceive check, and adding a query.

Last edited:
Top Bottom