OOC [Freebooters on the Frontier] The Gate

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
Just checking in to confirm that I was here today - Veronika is, as stated, ready to move on to the next scene but I want to see what Zsofika does.

Atlictoatl

Looking for Operations/Culture employment
Validated User
Something's been bugging me about the black cat knowledge dump that I put up yesterday, so I added the following to the second paragraph:

It's further complicated because there's old places where a nailed-cat means the opposite: it's a witch's declaration that the home is now marked and under the witch's curse. Scholarship seems to indicate that the Eastern practice grew out of the ancient practice, when people re-appropriated the cat-posting for their own ends. Some old people will say that the cat's anus on the left means a witch left it, while others who claim to know about such things will say the cat's yowl to the left is the sign. It's a bit of a mess parsing things out, and regionality of place and the perpetrator all need to be taken into consideration.
It was a great roll, so I feel a little strange not giving definitive answers, and the above muddies the waters more. The overarching point here is that 'evidence' is a bit of a mess, because it's all tied into folklore. And it's the folklore of two different nations whose people have, to a large degree, mixed, especially in these middle geographies. And mountain folklore is different than valley folklore, etc. There isn't just one meaning within the culture for a black cat posted to a door.

What is clear is that it's a bold statement, and it makes sense that it would have tipped the Councilors into calling in the Lord Rightmaker's experts.

Atlictoatl

Validated User
but I want to see what Zsofika does
I do, too, but I also want to keep things moving, so I'm posting up the stuff outside of the mortuary.

MrPrim, please do keep on with Zsofika's follow-up actions in the mortuary. We'll just run things concurrently. Everyone will still be present there for that stuff, and if it turns out that action or conversation starts happening in the mortuary, we can pause the new location and focus in.

Atlictoatl

Validated User
Gaah! Been tied up with jobsearch stuff. I know we're at a momentary impasse. Will update as soon as I am able.

Artaud le momo

Validated User
I've come to a bit of a quandary: If Lukacs is fleeing the empire through the gate because of the corruption of society in general and the witch hunters in particular, it doesn't make much sense for him to be doing so alongside Veronika, who typifies that behavior. Not sure what to do about that.

Atlictoatl

Validated User
I've come to a bit of a quandary: If Lukacs is fleeing the empire through the gate because of the corruption of society in general and the witch hunters in particular, it doesn't make much sense for him to be doing so alongside Veronika, who typifies that behavior. Not sure what to do about that.
Well, we're not there yet. There's room still for other motivations and mitigating factors. But maybe we can work on some bonds that might exist between the two of you. Or could come into being.

Lysus

Unbelievably Fancy Ostrich
Validated User
Well, we're not there yet. There's room still for other motivations and mitigating factors. But maybe we can work on some bonds that might exist between the two of you. Or could come into being.
Let's just say it would be very easy to put Veronika into a position where she views leaving as being the best of a list of bad options.

Atlictoatl

Validated User
Just mentioning those Get Lucky rolls here, because I don't want you to think you're at a disadvantage on them, Artaud. I'm wanting to expedite things a touch, and so want a random thing to roll on to see if anything flags for you as we go along. Get Lucky seems like the best Move, because others that might make more sense make use of Hold and specific questions. Lukacs having a -2 Luck works fine for that; you're not missing out on anything, per se, with a missed roll, and I'm not generally using misses to escalate anything. It actually feels appropriate that, most times, nothing special comes up on Get Lucky, but every once in a while something does.

To be more clear, I'm not withholding information on a miss. I'm instead throwing extra information in on a hit, because I think it could take us a long time to weave the whole web of relationships and situations otherwise.

Top Bottom