From the Warp They Come: Starting Warhammer

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
I mentioned a bit back that I reacted to the forums going down for upgrades by taking up Warhammer 40k. I figure that I've bought enough bits and stuck with it long enough that I'm committed, so now I have a thread for the madness.

There is a fairly new Games Workshop store in a nearby college town, and I've been very impressed by the atmosphere there. The owner/manager is really helpful and friendly, and he's trying pretty hard to cultivate a family-friendly, welcoming store. I've heard him have a frank discussion with a parent about how he's proactive at kicking bad elements out so that they don't drive off other customers, and he's steered me away from buying the wrong metallics. Everytime I've been there, there have been people there playing and painting, and he seems pretty invested in the community as a whole.

I have never played Warhammer, or indeed any self-assembled mini wargame before (I have a small X-wing force), so it's a new experience for me. The rulebooks are super-high production values, I have to say. I wish most of my rpg's looked half as nice!

I picked up a Daemon Prince and a Start Collecting! Khorne box with the intent of building one army that could be played in both WH40K and AoS. It looks to me like AoS armies tend to be smaller than 40k armies. Luckily, I've sort of fallen for the Heretic Astartes (thanks to the lore thread in OM, actually!), so I'll be building a 2k AoS force and then fleshing it out in 40k with some Chaos Space Marines. I've discovered that I'm fairly slow and obsessive about the assembly aspects of the hobby, so I'm just now to the point of needing to greenstuff the models I have and then getting them primed. I should be painting them next week and there will be pictures at that point.

One thing I've already messed up on is that I bought the Daemon Prince first and put him together with more enthusiasm than patience. I didn't pay enough attention to the process and his stance is pretty messed up; feet aren't level at all! I'll have to get creative with the basing, but luckily the raised foot is on the same side as his raised ax, so I think I can make it look like he's put one foot on the body of a defeated foe and is raising his ax in defiance. I reposed his empty hand to be gesturing outwards in a sort of 'come and get it' look. We'll see how it goes.

Scutarii

Validated User
Good luck with the project!

AoS armies can definitely be smaller than 40k ones, but depending on how you like to make your armies can Ben larger. A big horde of 60+ basic troopers for example!

If you want any advice or encouragement to complete the project there are plenty of great people in here to help out!

I find that setting small goals for each week and trying to complete those helps a lot with the feeling of progress.

E.g.: this week I will clip all the bits I want from the sprue for unit X.

It’s achievable and can be as ambitious as I feel comfortable with. So there’s always the feeling of momentum and progress

Tumbleweed

Supporting Cast!
Validated User
Neat! Welcome aboard!

As you're getting started, you might consider looking into Kill Team-- it's a squad-based skirmish game using 40k minis. Much smaller scale so you can get rolling a lot quicker than however much time it takes to assemble & paint a whole army.

... unfortunately, I don't think Kill Team has a straight daemons force, buuuuut if you snag a single box of Chaos Space Marines (along with maybe a couple of cultists), you could easily put together a squad that could in turn hang out with your bigger demon army later.

Eremite

Validated User
I picked up a Daemon Prince and a Start Collecting! Khorne box with the intent of building one army that could be played in both WH40K and AoS. It looks to me like AoS armies tend to be smaller than 40k armies. Luckily, I've sort of fallen for the Heretic Astartes (thanks to the lore thread in OM, actually!), so I'll be building a 2k AoS force and then fleshing it out in 40k with some Chaos Space Marines. I've discovered that I'm fairly slow and obsessive about the assembly aspects of the hobby, so I'm just now to the point of needing to greenstuff the models I have and then getting them primed. I should be painting them next week and there will be pictures at that point.
Which thread?

Also, what Legion/chapter/etc are you thinkin' for the CSM (Chaos Space Marines)?

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
AoS armies can definitely be smaller than 40k ones, but depending on how you like to make your armies can Ben larger. A big horde of 60+ basic troopers for example!

If you want any advice or encouragement to complete the project there are plenty of great people in here to help out!

I find that setting small goals for each week and trying to complete those helps a lot with the feeling of progress.
From using the warscroll builder on the GW website, it looks like my intended Khorne list is a bit over 300 points cheaper in 40k than AoS. Looks like Sigmar values Skull Cannons and Bloodletters much more highly, and Flesh Hounds and Bloodcrushers/Blood Thrones a little more highly. The Daemon Prince is actually cheaper!

I've been setting goals, but a nasty cold and quite a bit of overtime has put me a little off track. I'm on target to start painting next week, but I'd hoped to start this week.

As you're getting started, you might consider looking into Kill Team-- it's a squad-based skirmish game using 40k minis. Much smaller scale so you can get rolling a lot quicker than however much time it takes to assemble & paint a whole army.

... unfortunately, I don't think Kill Team has a straight daemons force, buuuuut if you snag a single box of Chaos Space Marines (along with maybe a couple of cultists), you could easily put together a squad that could in turn hang out with your bigger demon army later.
Kill Team definitely looks fun. Daemons does not have a list for it, but I do intend to dump some Heretic Astartes into it. It sounds like you can build a 100 point list with just a box of CSM's, which isn't too bad, especially since I'm going to buy them anyways. The rules aren't too costly either.

Kill Team is also probably the best vector for easing a friend of mine who does historical minis into the 40K stuff <.<

Which thread?

Also, what Legion/chapter/etc are you thinkin' for the CSM (Chaos Space Marines)?
I . . . actually can't find the thread on a casual search, huh. I'll dig around for it tomorrow. I like the Renegade Chapters for their freedom of fiction, paint scheme and modeling. I can see building a chapter that is, tonewise, somewhere between the 'I got drunk, threw down my sword and gave God the finger' and 'Lucifer has a point' speeches in Dogma. Or, like, if Buffy went, "Giles, I'm sixteen, I don't want to die" and then moved to LA and went on to star in Angel. Basically tragically flawed heroes who wanted out of the war and are getting drug deeper and deeper into Chaos because the Imperium has zero room for redemption. Sort of slowly becoming more and more Khorne-tinted while their sorcerers bargain with Tzeentch daemons for scraps of knowledge. There's just a lot of room for developing an ongoing narrative through gameplay, and for customization, that I find immensely appealing. Also, Helbrutes!

Eremite

Validated User
Ah, 'What it's like', very famous. ADB's Night Lords books (which are very much on this theme) are about 80% of the reason why I'm painting the 8th Legion.

Ninevehn

Heart-furnace
Validated User
Update: A Setback!

For various reasons, I need to use a brush on primer. Of the ones people seem to have success with, gesso was locally available, so that's what I went with. I decided to follow the 'just glop it on' crowd on my test model and. . . no. Total junk. Luckily, it's pretty easy to scrub off with warm water if it hasn't totally dried, so Test Herald is available for round two. I'm going to pick up some distilled water on my way home from work (local water is rural and quite hard) and see if the 'thin it down' crowd had the right of it.

If that doesn't work, I think I can find some airbrush primer that people have had success brushing on.

Scutarii

Validated User
It’s a bit of a balance, you’ll eventually learn what amount of water is needed to get the consistency you need, and it will vary between paints and ranges and temperature and humidity and so on.

Top Bottom