• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[From those who made Spire] Heart RPG

BethDragon

nominally Good Person
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User

Guidance:

Hello! Please remember that we want posts (especially opening posts) to have content to lead toward discussion.
This is pretty much just a link, which we do not want to be a habit on the forums. We want discussion and reasons why people should click on the link. Otherwise, it's just an ad and this thread should go into Hype.
I'll leave this here for a little bit, maybe you'll add more to the thread content. But for in the future, threads like this would go into Hype unless you up your opening-post game.

CitizenKeen

Rules Lawyer
Validated User
Also, since that link just goes to their main page, instead of the blog post, it's not helpful for people finding this thread three months from now.

I'm excited to see what they do with the dungeon crawl genre. I'm curious to see if it uses an entirely new system, or something Spire adjacent. I do hope it uses the same core mechanic from the spire.

kvltjam

Async
Validated User
Yeah, this sounds extremely Fallen London to me in the best way. I’m definitely keeping an eye on this one.

gribble

Validated User
I'm excited to see what they do with the dungeon crawl genre. I'm curious to see if it uses an entirely new system, or something Spire adjacent. I do hope it uses the same core mechanic from the spire.
From the link you shared:

Heart uses a modified version of the Resistance system that we created for Spire. Some of the skills and resistances you’ll recognise – we still have a Blood resistance to measure how hurt you are, and a Sneak skill to go unnoticed. Others are new and designed to tell stories unique to exploring a body-warping magical city – Echo resistance shows how much the Heart has changed you, for example, and Supplies resistance shows how much spireblack your lantern has to burn before it sputters out and leaves you in pitch darkness.
We’ve streamlined down some of the systems from Spire, making them (hopefully) easier to use on the fly.
We’ve focused on making fallout smoother to use in play and, with the addition of Critical fallout, used it to give your character a descending arc as misfortune and pain are poured upon them. We’ve added a little more complexity to the combat system, because there’s more of it in Heart, but not a great deal (and we aren’t using tactical maps or anything like that).
The systems will be instantly recognisable to anyone who’s played Spire, and we hope you enjoy the tweaks we’ve made.
So, sounds like you're in luck! :)
Looking forward to it... now just have to figure out if we have time to playtest or not!

My Cat's On Crack

Keeper of the Cheese
Validated User
It went to their main page? My bad! Also, I wasn’t aware of a “Hype” forum and I’ll make sure to post why I shared a link in the first place. Good to know.

Anyway, the game looks really cool! I’m continually impressed how RRD shake up beloved (if tired) tropes in such deliciously creepy ways. I hope you can mesh Spire and Heart together. The combined settings sound so cool and a trip to the Heart for the Ministry would be neat.

DannyK

One Shot Man
Validated User
Sweet! I never knew what to do with the Heart anyway. A streamlined system would be nice too.

Mejiro

I think I'm a Drow now
Validated User
Is there enough of a system there to streamline? The actual mechanics are basically 'skill + domain + mastery + misc, roll, take highest', there really doesn't seem to be much that can be done to make it faster?

Top Bottom